Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rossignol Soul 7 speed wobbles

I broke my Rossignol S3s at the end of last season. I loved those skis. They floated well, turned great and were solid at high speeds. They were just great all around skis for the conditions I normally ski (Southern Idaho, Utah). The only thing I ever wished was that I had gone with the wider S7. So after I broke the ski I came across a good deal on a pair of Rossignol Soul 7s and jumped on them. I'm enjoying them so far. But I am having an issue I would like to get some comments back on. The Soul 7s seem to perform as expected in all regards except for speed. At very high speeds on firm hard pack or icy conditions the skis start getting twitchy. I’ve especially noticed it with my right ski. It’s like it starts getting the speed wobbles as I approach my top speed. I feel like I have to immediately throw the brakes on or I'm gonna eat shit, hard. Is this a quality of the ski I will have to learn to live with if I keep the skis? Maybe they’re just not built for maching. Has anyone else skied this ski and experienced the “speed wobble”? I also started tuning my own skis this year. I'm wondering if there is something I'm doing wrong that might be causing the skis to behave this way. A third consideration is that I might have gone short on the length. I bought the 180 because it was similar to the length I skied on the S3s. Now I'm wondering if I may have sacrificed stability at speed for maneuverability. Not much I can do about it now. Lastly, the soul 7 is by far the widest ski I’ve ever been on. Could the issue have something to do with getting use to the farther edge to edge distance?
    I’d appreciate any comments, insights or advise anyone has to offer.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MERRICKDUKE View Post
    It’s like it starts getting the speed wobbles as I approach my top speed.?
    Thanks
    Are you sure your boots fit? I often see people in obviously way too huge boots where the ski gets that speed wobble thing going. Scary as shit to watch.

If its not your boots, then are you running your bases flat or on edge when at your top speed? if the former try justing putting them on edge.

Never skied the soul 7 but I don't remember it being described as a noodle, and I thought it was probably overall stiffer than the s3. It's unlikely its the ski, but who knows you may have just really messed up the tune. I did that more than once while learning.

Disclaimer: Someone who owns this ski could nitpick better.

I demo'd it and found it to deflect very easily, skied substantially short and to soft for anything considered scratchy or old snow.

Make sure that both skis hand flex the same.
    A fragged laminate layer will make the skis feel different, but this is a stupidly rare occurrence.
    (I have paid hard earned cash for a ski with a twisted carbon layer.)

I would look at your tune if the skis are behaving differently.

Lastly, I find wider skis don't ski flat at speed as well as one might think they could.
    Put the ski on edge, even just a little and you should sample improved confidence.

Not a whole nickel, just my 2¢; hope it makes a difference.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Soul 7s ski better on edge when going faster, but they have a definite speed limit. I found that they aren't very stable for me when going fast and really pushing it. This was in a few runs I tried them last year. Very turny and fun though.

^^^^ This, mostly. You don't give your size, but I know plenty of guys in the 5'10 175-190 range that like the 180. Mainly, Soul 7 's isn't designed for high speed charging, you buy them as an all-around that's light, superior at maneuvering in tight places, nice for side bounds touring. Great tree and bump ski in/near resorts. At speed, they require attention, decent balance. Being on edge helps. Learn to live with it. Or not.

I see in your other post, your one and only other post on this site, that you're 5' 10" and 215 lbs. 180 is too short for that ski for your weight, in my opinion. Backing that up, according to the Rossignol website, anyone over 180 lbs should be on 188 for the Soul 7.

http://media.rossignol.com//internat...e-Ski-1415.pdf

It skis short, anyway. Other factors may be playing into the wobble (your own tuning, if not uniform from ski to ski, for example) but I think it's just too short. There's my $.02.

It's also a noodle of a ski in the first place, so yeah, of course they have a speed limit.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Yep, soft ski, probably short if you're a 215lb charger, and with a questionable tune on firm snow, you're in for a sketchy ride.

Don't rule out the boot though. Even if the shell size is correct, it may be that you need your cuff alignment looked at. If one leg is slightly off, the problem will be exacerbated on firm snow with wide(r) skis. It might explain why you're feeling it in one ski more than the other. There could be an off chance that the mount is off as well.

I'd start by bringing your skis in for a fresh tune and have the boots looked checked out at the same time. If you still have a problem afterwards I'd consider a different ski for those conditions.

It's a wider ski. It has honeycombed, rockered, light tips and tails, also it's a Rossignol (statement does not apply to Squads, RC112's, and the like). The S3, while soft and very shaped, had rubber tips and tails which would be less prone to causing wandering since rubber is damp and can be heavy.

A wide, light ski can waver a little bit pointing it on a icy runout as it can be more susceptible to the shape the run is in (other ski tracks and whatnot). Rocker/taper/low swing weight can add to this. I have the Moment Ruby. It's wide and light, but it's fully cambered. It can waver a little bit, but I'm just thing about the Outrun at Snowbowl and it's usually ok pointing it through the last part of it, but it can definitely get wavy and kicked a bit at low speed.

Could also be burrs in the edges, but probably not.

You say right ski. Could be right leg? I am ever so slightly knock kneed and I notice it when laying my skis flat. It doesn't effect my skiing (but it can hurt my knee in clipless pedals).
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I find them twitchy when not on edge.

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. To clarify, the wobble occurs on the flat only. They rail on edge as good as any other ski I’ve skied. At this point I will be investigating the cuff alignment on my boots (I do have a bowlegged stance) and the tune. Perhaps I need to detune the tips a little further down the edge? Anyway, I will update if/when I find a solution.

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. To clarify, the wobble occurs on the flat only. They rail on edge as good as any other ski I’ve skied. At this point I will be investigating the cuff alignment on my boots (I do have a bowlegged stance) and the tune. Perhaps I need to detune the tips a little further down the edge? Anyway, I will update if/when I find a solution.
    Are you leaning into the tip of the ski when you let them run flat? Any ski with lots of sidecut can get twitchy if you're pressuring the tip in the flat. I'm not saying lean back, but a centered stance helps.

They rail on edge as good as any other ski I’ve skied. .
    Really? Have you ever skied anything under the waist width of your S3s?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Really? Have you ever skied anything under the waist width of your S3s?
    Nice reply, grammatically speaking of course, well written for sure. Beyond that, it’s a worthless reply, you simply ignored the comment that you were replying to. He clearly states “as good as any ski I’ve skied.” Meaning of all the skis that HE has tried they are as good as. So your attempt at being “sassy”, as I’m sure that’s what you call it, failed because you can’t read much less understand what you’re reading. Good try though bud. Keep on keepin on.
    Last edited by Tofaticus; 01-28-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofaticus View Post
    Nice reply, grammatically speaking of course, well written for sure. Beyond that, it’s a worthless reply, you simply ignored the comment that your were replying to. He clearly states “as good as any ski I’ve skied.” Meaning of all the skis that HE has tried they are as good as. So your attempt at being “sassy”, as I’m sure that’s what you call it, failed because you can’t read much less understand what you’re reading. Good try though bud. Keep on keepin on.
    I'm not trying to be sassy. But I've skied the Soul 7 and it leaves a lot to be desired on firm snow compared to other skis, usually narrower, stiffer and with more camber. He states "they rail an edge as good as any other ski I've skied", I was just wondering if he had skied something else, that was narrower, stiffer and more cambered I guess. Maybe you can't read or understand what is posted? Great first post, you're probably an internet stalker.

I see people posting all the time about fatter skis with great edge hold and I just don't get it.

At very high speeds on firm hard pack or icy conditions the skis start getting twitchy. I’ve especially noticed it with my right ski.

Maybe they’re just not built for maching.

I also started tuning my own skis this year. I'm wondering if there is something I'm doing wrong that might be causing the skis to behave this way.

Thanks
    hope that helps

I'm not trying to be sassy. But I've skied the Soul 7 and it leaves a lot to be desired on firm snow compared to other skis, usually narrower, stiffer and with more camber. He states "they rail an edge as good as any other ski I've skied", I was just wondering if he had skied something else, that was narrower, stiffer and more cambered I guess. Maybe you can't read or understand what is posted? Great first post, you're probably an internet stalker.

I see people posting all the time about fatter skis with great edge hold and I just don't get it.
    Everyone starts at post #1, I guess unless you're none other than Aaron Wright who starts at post #1639. If you spent a little more time on the fluff and less time typing away on your little keyboard trying to increase your valuable post #'s people might take you a little more seriously. I just don't get it. I'm sure your friends think your opinions are are so impressive. And that AW, is post #2

Everyone starts at post #1, I guess unless you're none other than Aaron Wright who starts at post #1639. If you spent a little more time on the fluff and less time typing away on your little keyboard trying to increase your valuable post #'s people might take you a little more seriously. I just don't get it. I'm sure your friends think your opinions are are so impressive. And that AW, is post #2
    I guess we know what Hugh Conway's new user name is. But seriously dude, bro, sir, whatever--what Mr Wright said makes perfect sense. I've skied the Soul7--180, which is my weight although I wouldn't mind dropping 10 or 15--and I've skied 20 or 30 other skis that rail better. Turns quick though.

Any ski that you can see light through is suspect in my book;-)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I guess we know what Hugh Conway's new user name is. But seriously dude, bro, sir, whatever--what Mr Wright said makes perfect sense. I've skied the Soul7--180, which is my weight although I wouldn't mind dropping 10 or 15--and I've skied 20 or 30 other skis that rail better. Turns quick though.
    Oh, it's not Hugh. I suspect it's someone from another ski forum who is constantly in a tizzy about folks telling him he can't ski or pay attention long enough to understand what is the intent of a poster.
    Last edited by AaronWright; 01-28-2015 at 06:17 PM.

I can't believe no one has said...

...Fuck off jong! No one cares that you have a sensitive and caring disposition, or that you like skiing noodles. S3's are fucking noodle and so are Soul 7's. They're good noodles, but noodles nonetheless. When someone who weighs more than 200 lbs. asks why they're having trouble skiing noodles at speed, pointing out that they're skiing noodles is a perfectly reasonable response. And in this forum if you have any expectation of politesse, you're deluded. This is an unrepentant asshole factory. Perhaps try posting here.

Soul 7's and S3's are nice skis that are to be skied lightly, they will fold up on you if you try and drive them. Certainly not suppose to be a high speed carver or crud buster, they are what they are, good skis not bad if used for the intended purpose they were designed for. In the Rossi's The Super 7 sounds like it would of been better for you

^^ Probably even better yet with Squads. The older Super 7 from a couple of years ago was stiffer than the newer version. The new Squads are more like the older Super 7. However, for firm hard pack, neither is a great choice. OP would be better off with Experience 100's.

Quote Originally Posted by iamchappy View Post
    The Super 7 sounds like it would of been better for you
    Err... he did not say he was having float issues. The Super 7 is just a wider noodle. If the ski is the source of his problem it could be solved by a tune, a longer ski, or a narrower, stiffer ski, not wider.

Oh, it's not Hugh. I suspect it's someone from another ski forum who is constantly in a tizzy about folks telling him he can't ski or pay attention long enough to understand what is the intent of a poster.
    spindrift