Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    If you aren't a good skier, stick with a split, as you'll be slow and flailing on the way down. Friends probably have more patience for you going up or transitioning slowly (even that is a debatable truth, you're not in a race are you?) than skiing down slow or having to stick to green runs. I have a split, but I don't like it (the board itself, not the splitting experience), so I tour on skis. But I can't ski as well as I ride, so it's more work going down. If I had a split I liked, I'd use it way more.

So- get a split, then get some in bounds skis and work on your skills. Then later you can do whichever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by netter View Post
    Good points thanks for the advice. As mentions earlier if I was to break trail maybe my skier buddies would quit bitching for a couple minutes
    If your friends bitch at you while your skinning then imagine how much they'll bitch at you when you're trying to learn how to ski. Get new friends

How does telemarking on the descent work out? Does the shape of the split make it difficult and cumbersome

I usually ski out once the flats hit. Learning to kinda tele-ski comes with the sport imo

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    I usually ski out once the flats hit. Learning to kinda tele-ski comes with the sport imo
    So.....tele's not dead!

Well you wouldn't have to tele if you had karakorams new binding system, eh?

Strong & experienced splitboarders do fine, but it's more difficult for sure. If you are a committed snowboarder and commit to getting good at doing it backcountry, no problem. But if you only dabble it'll be a problem (but then again, dabbling at learning to ski instead has its problems too). That said, everyone I know who BCs a lot skis, including those who sometimes snowboard- in the end the mobility is really much better. But if your joy is snowboarding, keep snowboarding.

Splitboarding - Disadvantage?

Quote Originally Posted by netter View Post
    Well you wouldn't have to tele if you had karakorams new binding system, eh?
    I had KaraKara binders 2 years ago and didn't like em. Good luck skiing in snowboard boots- although you can use stiff high backs with straps to give more lateral and overall support. If that works for ya go for it.

Last two years I've used the phantoms for riding and tech toes. It's been really good for the harder terrain as hard boots are crampon and vert compatible. You can do a lot of technical stuff with that kind of setup and not feel like you're under equipped. Ride quality can't be judged as hb split setups are inherently custom, assuming you mod liners, footbed and the boot itself. Every setup will ride a bit different.

like anything, practice will improve your speed and capability. stick with it or switch.. the grass is always greener.
    long live the jahrator

I had KaraKara binders 2 years ago and didn't like em. Good luck skiing in snowboard boots- although you can use stiff high backs with straps to give more lateral and overall support. If that works for ya go for it.

Last two years I've used the phantoms for riding and tech toes. It's been really good for the harder terrain as hard boots are crampon and vert compatible. You can do a lot of technical stuff with that kind of setup and not feel like you're under equipped. Ride quality can't be judged as hb split setups are inherently custom, assuming you mod liners, footbed and the boot itself. Every setup will ride a bit different.
    Ahh didn't even think about the boot issue. Or crampons. Locally I haven't seen very many splitters with at boots

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Huh? Pretty much not this. Pack weight is completely pointless when comparing the two and it's already been determined that splitboards are actually better for long, all day ascents/descents. But they are perfectly fine for doing laps as transition times are equal to skiers if you're experienced. I do agree that a good backcountry skier has an advantage on steep windpack. I remember times taking off my board and booting when my skier buddy was skinning fine, but that had a lot to do with personal comfort, skill, and the fact that some higher end skiers are really fucking good at skinning and their gear is way better suited to skinning sketchier snow. However, that's not the norm. I've blown away plenty of dudes on AT gear in local spots where they were having trouble making the icy switchbacks due to their inexperience.

The other good thing for splitboarding is Karakorams new heel lock down system which is bomber and super fast and easy to engage so now we can skate/pole out flats and side step up hill just like skiers. Technology has really narrowed the gap to it just being a decision on whether you like to ski or ride.

Mountain approach skis are good for doing laps on mini golf lines or jibbing with your filming buddies. That's about it.
    On a 10 day ski touring traverse through the Northern Selkirks, the experienced, fit, and very determined split-boarder (hard boots and Dynafits) in our group was trailing off the back the whole time. He transitioned to skiing after that trip. I had a great day yesterday lapping steep trees with one of my good split boarding buddies, but there situations where they just plain suck: a steep alpine bowl leading into a long descent of an undulating high mountain valley, with multiple flat sections, and carrying a full pack - I don't care who you are, you're going to be suffering on a split-board, while skiers skate, step, and glide along, in a fraction of the time and with much less effort.

come on dude. A 10 day wilderness traverse is of course better on skis. Only a masochist would do that on a snowboard. If that's the type of thing that interests you, then skiing is what you should be doing. To me, it sounds boring and like a cold backpacking trip, but to each their own. It sounds like you need to choose the trips you do with your splitboarding buddies more carefully. When I (rarely) tour with a group of skiers who I know are more about the tour than the turns (they suck on the downhill), I make sure they bring their own car so we can leave separately. No biggie. Watching how they ski on their light weight gear certainly doesn't make me want to take up skiing. It's all good as long as everyone is safe and having fun.
    I'll be the hyena, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD_2505 View Post
    come on dude. A 10 day wilderness traverse is of course better on skis. Only a masochist would do that on a snowboard. If that's the type of thing that interests you, then skiing is what you should be doing. To me, it sounds boring and like a cold backpacking trip, but to each their own. It sounds like you need to choose the trips you do with your splitboarding buddies more carefully. When I (rarely) tour with a group of skiers who I know are more about the tour than the turns (they suck on the downhill), I make sure they bring their own car so we can leave separately. No biggie. Watching how they ski on their light weight gear certainly doesn't make me want to take up skiing. It's all good as long as everyone is safe and having fun.
    I don't mean to suggest that split-boarding isn't a great time, but the OP seemed to want advice on the limitations of split-boarding vs skiing. Sure, not everyone gets into 10 day wilderness traverses (though I high recommend it), but if you're just getting into the diverse world of backcountry adventuring, utilizing skis will maximize your options. For the people I ski with touring and turning aren't mutually exclusive, and maximizing mobility enables us to get to out of from the lines we want to ski.

Unwritten rules of the backcountry - skiers shouldn't bitch at splitboarders for taking an extra 30 seconds to transition, and splitboarders shouldn't bitch when a skier loses a ski in deep pow and spends 15 minutes looking for it. Snowboarders wait for skiers when descending in pow, skiers wait for snowboarders on traverses. Skiers kick steps when booting firm snow, snowboarders lead the way when rock scrambling. Provided fitness levels are the same, it all balances out. And no matter what the situation, telemarkers will be a few minutes behind.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Unwritten rules of the backcountry - skiers shouldn't bitch at splitboarders for taking an extra 30 seconds to transition, and splitboarders shouldn't bitch when a skier loses a ski in deep pow and spends 15 minutes looking for it. Snowboarders wait for skiers when descending in pow, skiers wait for snowboarders on traverses. Skiers kick steps when booting firm snow, snowboarders lead the way when rock scrambling. Provided fitness levels are the same, it all balances out. And no matter what the situation, telemarkers will be a few minutes behind.
    Bullshit.
    There are only two rules:

1. Share your dope.
    2. Learn to fucking ski.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxonA2-zhiA
    Last edited by sicktird; 01-24-2015 at 01:12 PM. Reason: embedjongdunf

Jesus fuck just do whatever you think is best on the way down. Tell anyone to fuck themselves if they give you shit. Some of you people are either shitty friends or have shitty friends, or both. I've never had a problem with any of my riding buddies, ski or board. Everyone I ride with is about having fun and being safe and riding together. Glad I don't surround myself with douchey fucks... I snowboard and ski. I'm a better skier but I'm having more fun snowboarding recently because of the challenges that some of you are calling disadvantages. Riding pow on a snowboard is better IMO. Going fast and jumping off shit is better on skis. Do both and enjoy both. And don't bitch if you can only do one, because then your just half a man.

Quote Originally Posted by sicktird View Post
    Bullshit.
    There are only two rules:

1. Share your dope.
    2. Learn to fucking ski.

Get a turbo Yamaha and quit fuckin walking on flat ground and tell them 2 plank wankers to piss off. Sledboarding is ur next step eh! and u can pack all the beer and dope u want.

MARK S

"But how many avalanches are killed by people each year, probably thousands, so if a few people are killed by avalanches, the universe evens out".

If you love going fast in tight trees and generally more playful riding (spinning, buttering) you won't be satisfied switching to skis (yes those are all doable on skis but not anytime soon if you're new). The whole point of working for untracked gets diluted and you won't be motivated. I made the mistake of buying a particularly long split first, thinking it'd be faster on flats and less likely to get behind. But it just wasn't as much fun to ride. Get the right size board, rocker/camber profile you like, don't hesitate to pull out the poles to push on flats, and sometimes switch back to split mode without putting on the skins on the way back out or on flats.

You'll be slower at the top, but if you're first down and starting back up before everyone else, it won't matter. Or throw in a little burst up the track at the end to beat everyone by a few minutes. Not a big deal.

I went from splitting to AT for many of the reasons listed above, after a year or so I found myself not going into the bc anymore... and I realized it was because I wasn't enjoying the "fun" part anymore ...riding. Switched back to splitting and got back to getting in to the bc ... Point is, do what makes it fun or you won't do it for long.