I want to mount a Sony ActionCam to my helmet strap like the cool kids do . . .

You may have seen this method rocked by the stars in Almost Ablaze. It makes so much sense.

Any kits needed or is this mount in the box?

Thanks!

Tape is what they used. Simple tape to the google strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    Tape is what they used. Simple tape to the google strap.
    Ditto. Electric tape and get it as far towards the front of the strap as possible or you'll have your lens in half the frame.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Thanks. It looks like it's mounted in the skeleton frame and I don't see any tape on front. I'm guessing this means that they somehow taped the frame itself to the strap, leaving the camera free. This makes sense since you'd need to be able to easily remove the camera for charging etc.

Sony does make a headband mount but it comes with its own headband(?) and it looks like that headband is much narrower than goggle bands and that the mount point is therefore much narrower and fixed at that width. Dumb.

I could see this mount method catching on as it provides a much better perspective than a top mount in my opinion. Still not sure how the skeleton frame can be taped securely though. Can you guys elaborate a little?

Actually, it looks like what they've done is simply clamped the skeleton frame down with the goggle strap between the frame and the back of the camera. You can see this pretty clearly at 18:36 when Durtschi takes his goggles off. Attached a pic but it's low quality from my phone since iTunes won't let me do a screen grab.

This seems like an even simpler way to do it, and super secure. If you look at the frame here you can kind of see how it would work: http://www.steves-digicams.com/AKA-SF1_01-1200.jpg

I've used the headband mount on a goggle strap, its fine. Any time its on your goggle strap it bounces a bit and requires stabilization to be on. I went with the helmet top teletubby mount. The AZ1 mini cam is so light I can't even tell its there, and its stable enough that I don't have to use stabilization and can have the full 170º view, which I like better.

Cool, good to know the mount works. Top mount is always a good option too. Thanks for the info!

That screen shot you posted is just a product shot. The athletes taped the actual camera to their google strap with no mounting plates or anything. They left it attached to their goggles most of the season and just charged it attached to the goggles. Lightest weight. Most secure. No tele tubby effect so photographer aren't mad, because their shots are then ruined for advertising or magazines. I spent two months filming that movie. That is what everyone preferred and did.

I'm convinced! Thanks for setting me straight.

Congrats on an awesome flick!

The wrong side of the Atlantic, the wrong side of the Channel...
    Just bought the HDR AZ1. If you buy the head mount kit you can remove the rig from the headband and attach it to your goggles. It's kind of funny because a tiny camera plus case plus goggle rig (which has an outrigger stabiliser type thing that braces against your helmet / face) suddenly ends up looking like some sort of military grade hardware. That said, I found it to be a good rig - very little movement even through the bumps with the image stabiliser turned off....which you might want to do unless you are OK with only having a 120 degree field of view.

If you really want to rock it like the unts you will need.
    Cameras on both your ski tips or board tips. Pointed forward and backwards. And a couple extra ones mounted towards yourself. For added fun get an extension pole for your cam and mount one directly infront of face for added hilarity. Skiers are advised to substitute regular poles for two selfie sticks instead. Two of those chest harnesses are also advisable. Again pointed forward and backwards.
    Please do remember to post on facebook..

Anyone have tips on how to get the best footage? Mounting location on top of helmet vs side of helmet vs chest mount? Trying to determine best field of view to choose (120 vs 170) and if I should have Image Stabilization turned On or Off in the camera. Does the camera IS do a better job than IS software in post production? Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    That screen shot you posted is just a product shot. The athletes taped the actual camera to their google strap with no mounting plates or anything. They left it attached to their goggles most of the season and just charged it attached to the goggles. Lightest weight. Most secure. No tele tubby effect so photographer aren't mad, because their shots are then ruined for advertising or magazines. I spent two months filming that movie. That is what everyone preferred and did.
    Thanks, been trying to figure out the best way to mount my AZ1. White gaffers tape, ought to work great.

Double sided velcro tape
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

How durable is the AS200V out of the housing?

Hey, ive been trying to figure out how to mount my Sony action cam for a while and i am stuck. I currently have the side helmet mount that holds the camera in its waterproof case. The problem is it fogs up, its heavy, and sound isnt great. I just need to know how durable it is outside of its case and could it handle heavy PNW snow as well as light impacts. Another thing, were cameras broken often in the filming of the movies? Thanks!