Does TSA still have issues with Sport Tubes?

Been traveling with a wimpy, barely padded, non-wheeled soft bag up till now, and with a longer travel trip coming up, I figured I'd upgrade to a burlier bag with wheels. Seems like Sport Tubes are a pretty good way to go, as long as TSA knows how to put them back together again. All the posts I've seen on this issue are pretty old. Does TSA still have issues with putting them back together? Anyone have any recent "horror" stories about using Sport Tubes?

Not recent. But gave up with them a long while back after several times having problems.

I doubt that they've been particularly thoroughly incorporated into TSA basic training camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^ You've got to be kidding me!
    I just got a single ski Sport-Tube. Wanted something with wheels and like the idea of a hard case protecting bindings from baggage handlers.
    Haven't even opened the shipping box it came in and now you guys are telling me not to be surprised if TSA F's it up, really, am i going to see my skis come down the conveyer belt one at a time followed by the two separate half's of the Sport-Tube, and a pole here or there?

I fly a bunch with skis. I have a tube, I use my Dakine bag though. That said, I see an awful lot of SportTubes come down the oversize intact w/o issue. This is DIA, SLC, JAC, and most recently YVR. Leaving out of DIA - you would think that you wouldn't be the the "test case" for TSA on a SportTube. Some regional field in the Midwest or East, maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Most of us are trying to have fun, not be Luke Skywalker and blow up the fucking death star, save the galaxy, and be the coolest Jedi at the next movie premier.

Quote Originally Posted by neonorchid View Post
    ^ You've got to be kidding me!
    I just got a single ski Sport-Tube. Wanted something with wheels and like the idea of a hard case protecting bindings from baggage handlers.
    Haven't even opened the shipping box it came in and now you guys are telling me not to be surprised if TSA F's it up, really, am i going to see my skis come down the conveyer belt one at a time followed by the two separate half's of the Sport-Tube, and a pole here or there?
    Yep.

Pretty much.

on 3 occasions back from SLC and only once from Denver I opened my regular Ski Bag and found an official notice informing me that my bag was searched. mind you I've rigged my brakes with foam padding and used electrical and duct tape. I've also inserted a plastic contained with my wax and tools so I was never upset they looked. I get why under x-ray it would look suspicious.

I think with just skis and poles you should be fine.

also I had a ski tube I later sold and you would have to be pretty stupid not to figure out how to close it.
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

TSA screws up tubes all the time. Buddy of mine finally gave up.

That said, I usually end up with something missing from my ski bag if I put more than skis/poles in there. Last time to Spokane, it was a pair of shower shoes that went missing.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    TSA screws up tubes all the time. Buddy of mine finally gave up.

That said, I usually end up with something missing from my ski bag if I put more than skis/poles in there. Last time to Spokane, it was a pair of shower shoes that went missing.
    On many occasions I've taped "showed shoes" at both ends of my skis to protect the tips//tails and they never went missing....perhaps taping them down is key or I''m just lucky

Quote Originally Posted by givethepigeye View Post
    I fly a bunch with skis. I have a tube, I use my Dakine bag though. That said, I see an awful lot of SportTubes come down the oversize intact w/o issue. This is DIA, SLC, JAC, and most recently YVR. Leaving out of DIA - you would think that you wouldn't be the the "test case" for TSA on a SportTube. Some regional field in the Midwest or East, maybe.
    I was just looking at the Dakine single ski bag on sale at EMS, the full length padding and tarp description sounds good. Looks better then the bags i currently have which are only padded around the midsection, to bad it doesn't have wheels.
    I'll probably just give the Sport-Tube a try. Got it from a place with a great customer return policy which will help in the event it really ends up being more aggravation than its worth.

Dakine double roller FTW
    "Shredding the Gnar Like the Cowboys We Are"
    www.alaskaheliskiing.com

Never had a problem with TSA putting my double SportTube back together and it has been searched nearly every time I fly.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineTom View Post
    Dakine double roller FTW
    I/we have had two of those (190cm version) for 5(?) years, and they are great: http://eu.dakine.com/p/ski/gear-bags...ll-line-double
    I can see my house from here!

no mention of Jon's ski bag company yet
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    I posted this in another thread a while back, but here it is again. After years of trips to AK, with several different bags, this is the best I've found yet and little to no chance for TSA to mess up the closure.

Apart from having them be incorrectly re-assembled by security both here and abroad. The ski tubes are just a pain in the ass to pack..... and to travel with compared to a big padded ski bag

- are magically almost always exactly an inch too long to go into any available space that they are required to fit in.... trunk, truck, bus, elevator, around corner in hotel hallway etc.

- you're unable to get easy access to any item stored inside, normally getting access to any particular item requires near total unpacking, they are at minimum awkward and time consuming to pack....ranging right up to near impossible to pack depending on space available to do so (say like a left luggage store room).
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 01-21-2015 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kied View Post
    I posted this in another thread a while back, but here it is again. After years of trips to AK, with several different bags, this is the best I've found yet and little to no chance for TSA to mess up the closure.

Nice bag and being able to strap your duffel on is a bounus. Do you have an approximate weight?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Apart from having them be incorrectly re-assembled by security both here and abroad. The ski tubes are just a pain in the ass to pack..... and to travel with compared to a big padded ski bag

- you're unable to get easy access to any item stored inside, normally getting access to any particular item requires near total unpacking, they are at minimum awkward and time consuming to pack....
    In a nutshell.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Nice bag and being able to strap your duffel on is a bounus. Do you have an approximate weight?
    That was one of the features that sold me on it. Weight is 8 lbs. Unfortunately, it looks like Patagonia and almost every retailer is out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    on 3 occasions back from SLC and only once from Denver I opened my regular Ski Bag and found an official notice informing me that my bag was searched. mind you I've rigged my brakes with foam padding and used electrical and duct tape. I've also inserted a plastic contained with my wax and tools so I was never upset they looked. I get why under x-ray it would look suspicious.

also I had a ski tube I later sold and you would have to be pretty stupid not to figure out how to close it.
    TSA is required to visually open and check all oversized bags every time. I like to keep all of my TSA courtesy check sheets in the bag so they can be amused when they open my ski bag.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineTom View Post
    Dakine double roller FTW
    This. I've flown with 2 pairs of skis, all my clothes, and some gear with the Dakine double bag with no issues. I wrap my skis in my sleeping bag and use my clothes for padding. It's a struggle to keep it under 50 pounds, but doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    TSA is required to visually open and check all oversized bags every time. I like to keep all of my TSA courtesy check sheets in the bag so they can be amused when they open my ski bag.
    I do the same thing
    Most of us are trying to have fun, not be Luke Skywalker and blow up the fucking death star, save the galaxy, and be the coolest Jedi at the next movie premier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kied View Post
    That was one of the features that sold me on it. Weight is 8 lbs. Unfortunately, it looks like Patagonia and almost every retailer is out of stock.
    That thing is like a Unicorn or Sasquatch - heard of it, but no proof it exists.

It really comes down to packing wisely when travelling recognizing that you are at the mercy of TSA. You can spend a long time packing a sport tube and carefully fit skis and other gear to perfection. But you must recognize that TSA, as has been stated, is required to open up and inspect. That goes for stuff in your suitcases or other luggage as well. When it comes to putting it back, they will stuff it in there and make it fit, or worse give you your stuff piece meal. So if you stick with skis and poles in the sport tube, you have a good chance of being ok. Otherwise, expect the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post

Update now the 4th time out of SLC they TSA went into my Ski bag.
    When leaving Toronto I watched as they used a scanner/x-ray that could identify every single thing I had in there. Very reassuring
    YYZ truly has spent money and have top notch equipment.
    This 4th search makes me think SLC Airport doesn't.
    If that's true then that's fucked up
    I thought all major airports in the USA have the latest and great equipment.

Name:  IMG_20170306_084553.png
Views: 353
Size:  393.6 KB