Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Schweet.
    The yellow sensor is the absolute shit on storm days and overcast/low vis days... However, if there is a chance of the sun popping out make sure you have something else... The yellow sensor will absolutely light your eyes up on any type of sunlight...

I have not had a chance to try the new Chromapop, but no way would the storm day lens touch the yellow sensor on low vis days... No doubt I am sure it is more versatile than the yellow, but if you want a killer low light lens the yellow sensor is the shit...

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    The yellow sensor is the absolute shit on storm days and overcast/low vis days... However, if there is a chance of the sun popping out make sure you have something else... The yellow sensor will absolutely light your eyes up on any type of sunlight...

I have not had a chance to try the new Chromapop, but no way would the storm day lens touch the yellow sensor on low vis days... No doubt I am sure it is more versatile than the yellow, but if you want a killer low light lens the yellow sensor is the shit...
    That's great news. I always carry a spare lens. I would still carry the blue sensor but typically when it's a storm day or cloud/fog day here, it's gonna be that way all damn day, not bitching about the storm day . This is useful info about the sunlight issue since my eyes are very bright light sensitive.

I would love for someone to do a head to head on the yellow sensor and the Storm CP. I still don't think they will be that comparable since the numbers don't add up and favor the YSM. This is coming from a guy who freaking loves his Smith CP glasses.

Can anyone comment the yellow sensor's night performance vs the blue sensor? Can't imagine there would be much difference with only 5% VLT difference.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Can anyone comment the yellow sensor's night performance vs the blue sensor? Can't imagine there would be much difference with only 5% VLT difference.
    It is noticeably better for night riding but personally I always go with a clear lens at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdan View Post
    It is noticeably better for night riding but personally I always go with a clear lens at night.
    True, don't know why I didn't think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    True, don't know why I didn't think of that.
    It's a personal preference though, some people prefer Yellow at night

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I would love for someone to do a head to head on the yellow sensor and the Storm CP. I still don't think they will be that comparable since the numbers don't add up and favor the YSM.
    I just refreshed the headgear for the first time in like 6 years. Got a new Vantage helmet and two pair I/OX... found a good range of lenses between primary and spares sold with em. Got CromaPop Storm, Yellow Sensor Mirror, Green Sol-X Mirror, and Blackout.

Stoked to check out the fancy new lens tech!

random smith question. Figured I would ask here before starting a new thread. Does anyone know if the womens i/o is any different than the mens? Size wise? Website says the womons version is a "womens large" fit and the mens is a "medium" fit? Are the frames actually different sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I just refreshed the headgear for the first time in like 6 years. Got a new Vantage helmet and two pair I/OX... found a good range of lenses between primary and spares sold with em. Got CromaPop Storm, Yellow Sensor Mirror, Green Sol-X Mirror, and Blackout.

Stoked to check out the fancy new lens tech!
    Rad! Be interesting to have you do a head to head between the SMITH yellow sensor mirror and the chroma pop storm llens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    random smith question. Figured I would ask here before starting a new thread. Does anyone know if the womens i/o is any different than the mens? Size wise? Website says the womons version is a "womens large" fit and the mens is a "medium" fit? Are the frames actually different sizes?
    Unless new for this year previous years were exact same size...

anyone have any experience with what appears to be the new yellow 'sensor', vs the couple-of-years-ago normal 'yellow'?

maybe I'm misreading their marketing stuff and it's the same lens? Can't tell.

i've used the blue sensor and the plain yellow for storm days and prefer the yellow, but maybe this new yellow wins (if it actually is new and different?)?

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    anyone have any experience with what appears to be the new yellow 'sensor', vs the couple-of-years-ago normal 'yellow'?

maybe I'm misreading their marketing stuff and it's the same lens? Can't tell.

i've used the blue sensor and the plain yellow for storm days and prefer the yellow, but maybe this new yellow wins (if it actually is new and different?)?
    It is different. I don't really have much experience with the original yellow to compare though.

Yellow sensor vs Blue sensor mirror:
    This last weekend I decided to do a head to head with the blue sensor mirror and the yellow sensor mirror on a kick ass storm day at Silver Mountain Idaho.
    Conditions were mainly cloudy with slight fog and heavy snow with a slight sun break here and there.

Most people already know about the blue sensor mirror and it's great low light attributes. This lens works very well when it's mainly a storm day with some sun breaks. It really is a great lens and is usually my go to on storm days or when I know I'm not going to have full-blown bluebird.

Yellow sensor mirror:
    This lens should be your main storm day skiing lens. It will tolerate some sun breaks but not too crazy. The light transmission can very well hurt your eyes if the sun comes out heavy. I have sensitive eyes to sunlight and was OK with light sun breaks here and there. For full on storm skiing the yellow sensor mirror rivals the blue sensor mirror in every aspect. Much improved contrast over the blue sensor. The extra visibility allows a person to crank the speed up a little bit more and creates better reaction time due to the ability to better see objects due to the enhanced light transmission and depth perception.
    Pics through each lens with phone cam.
    Blue Sensor:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1481168470.485044.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	194520

Yellow Sensor:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1481168496.196686.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	194521

Hope this helps.

I used the Blue Sensor and the Chromapop Storm in two following days with similar light condition (cloudy, quite but not extremely flat light)
    The Ch-Pop is a little bit darker (50% vs 70% VLT) and at the first glance more red-dish, but this goes away as soon as the eyes (or better: the brain) got adapted.
    That said, I could not tell whether the one is significantly better than the other one.

Thanks to all!

Brilliant site!

Hopefully these can do the trick when I'm in Finland next month!

Nothing worse with having to ski with handbrake on coz u can't see Jack.

I have the yellow and have tried a friend's blue and I definitely prefer the yellow. I've been pretty happy overall with it.

smith yellow sensor mirror?

Scratched my red sensor on a freezing fog day $&@$$&#%*+&)!!!!!

Didn't think about it , just started scraping the frost off....fuuuck