Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

smith yellow sensor mirror?

So I don't know if I just never noticed it, or if it was newer but I need a new low light lens for my I/O goggles and I was planning on picking up the blue sensor mirror because that seems to be my best option. I just noticed on the smith website that they have a yellow sensor mirror also. It's kinda blue and yellow. I haven't found much info on it so I want to know if anyone has any experience/feedback about that lens.

smith yellow sensor mirror?

It's new. I was looking at it too. I like red sensor over the blue sensor in low light or clear for really poor vis. For the most part all the sensors just have a different mirror color but are very close in performance.

I actually have the red sensor which I do like, but for me the sun needs to be breaking through a little bit..When it is storming or just very dark and cloudy I find that the red is just a little bit too dark..I think the red is like 60% vlt and blue is like 70..I don't know how much difference it would make though. On the smith site it says the yellow is 65%..

Apparently, it's a yellow tint with a blue mirror, whereas the original sensor mirror lenses all have a rose tint. I say apparently because that info is second hand.

I have the yellow sensor and the red sensor. The tint on the red is noticeably more grey toned and colors are truer. If there is no chance of sun-breaks and the vis is low, then the yellow wins. More definiton of snow features in low/flat light. Full sun does hurt your eyes with the yellow though.

Yellow is $ for Grand Fogee

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    I have the yellow sensor and the red sensor.
    Is the tint consistent across the lens from side-to-side? In case you're wondering what I'm on about: look at the tint on the blue sensor mirror. The lens is tinted more heavily in the center, and less so on the sides. Most people don't seem to mind this, but I find it visually confusing. I haven't been able to get an answer from Smith on the yellow sensor, although they confirmed in the past that the blue sensor was designed this way.

Thanks!

The problem I have with the blue is that water droplets on the outside of the lens are blue. Haven't used the red or yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by baldclimber View Post
    Is the tint consistent across the lens from side-to-side? In case you're wondering what I'm on about: look at the tint on the blue sensor mirror. The lens is tinted more heavily in the center, and less so on the sides. Most people don't seem to mind this, but I find it visually confusing. I haven't been able to get an answer from Smith on the yellow sensor, although they confirmed in the past that the blue sensor was designed this way.

Thanks!
    I had the blue sensor a long time ago, the inconsistent tint and water droplets really bothered me. I hope they've made some changes since then.

I had problems with the sensor blue and water droplet rainbows back in the prodigy days. Not having the same problem with I/OX lens. I have no clue what changed, maybe the new lenses have a better fog treatment or anti-friction process..?

Is this the same as the Gold Sensor Mirror?

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like a new lens. I like the idea of a yellow lens with a blue mirror. Sounds like a better low light lens than the Blue Sensor.

Lindahl, before the yellow sensor my favorite for low light and night skiing was the red sensor... I picked up the yellow sensor and it is now my go to lens for low light and visibility.. Does a much better job of highlighting the terrain in very low light than the red and blue sensor do... But if it does get remotely sunny this lens does become pretty intense and sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    I picked up the yellow sensor and it is now my go to lens for low light and visibility.
    That's great to hear Undertow as I'm also looking for an alternative to the blue sensor mirror. Is the tint on the yellow sensor consistent across the lens from side-to-side (unlike the blue sensor)?

Quote Originally Posted by baldclimber View Post
    I wasn't able to get the answer to my question so I went ahead and ordered a yellow sensor. I'm happy to say that the light yellow tint is entirely consistent across the lens. It is much lighter yellow than a traditional yellow lens. I won't have an opportunity to use it until next season so I can't say anything about the effectiveness in flat light.

I have the Yellow mirror lens on my Smith Spoiler interchange sunglasses, they great in low light when doing outdoor stuff.

I have the Blue Sol X for my I/O goggles, they are nice for days with a mix of clouds & sun. The Gold Sol X I have as well are definitely for day with more sun than clouds.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Baldclimber, you won't be disappointed. The smith yellow lens is a great low light/flat light option. Better than red or blue sensor mirror in poor viz conditions. Just remember that it is not versatile, it hurts your eyes if there are sunbreaks. It reminds me a lot of my old Oakley H.I. Yellow lens.

Just ordered my yellow sensors

This is tempting, I'm going to need to replace my blue sensor for next season as it's delaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Isolee View Post
    Just ordered my yellow sensors
    What site?

Thanks
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Looks like after reading this thread, Ima gonna have to order the yellow lens.

Just ordered the yellow lens. Good info in this thread, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Bumping this as I just ordered the yellow sensor mirror. Tried to last year but they were sold out and never came back in stock on the site.

Everyone happy with the lens? Pro/cons other than what has been stated? I live in foggy land and this seems like the perfect option as my blue sensor was lacking in the major lowlight. I looked at the chroma pop after seeing the other thread and even the "storm" lens had less vlt than the yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Bumping this as I just ordered the yellow sensor mirror. Tried to last year but they were sold out and never came back in stock on the site.

Everyone happy with the lens? Pro/cons other than what has been stated? I live in foggy land and this seems like the perfect option as my blue sensor was lacking in the major lowlight. I looked at the chroma pop after seeing the other thread and even the "storm" lens had less vlt than the yellow.
    You'll like it. Best low-light lens I have ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdan View Post
    You'll like it. Best low-light lens I have ever used.
    Schweet.

Nice work 2Funky, was hoping to hear more about the chromapop, but I guess after reading the above reviews I'll pull the trigger on the Yellow.

Really surprised with all the Smith fanboys around here we would have heard more about the CP and why we should buy it, guess the Smith boys are otherwise occupied...