Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I did.

Did mine on Wednesday evening. Fucking stupid.

Tried to hurdle the baby gate in our kitchen and I think my body instinctively slammed my leg leg down hard to get something on the ground so I didn't sprawl out. Calc fracture.

I've seen the x-ray, but haven't seen the CT yet. Seeing the podiatrist on Tuesday. roverdoc (his forum name) did some work on my other leg a few years back and was looking at my CT yesterday morning. He said he'd probably deal with it non-operatively. He also said the less-invasive procedure might be an option too. Curious to see what the podiatrist says.
    What'd you find out? Surgery or no?

No surgery. Minimally displaced (e.g. within a mm or two). Ortho looked at the films and said if it was his foot he would leave it alone and let it heal (see post above). Podiatrist said the same thing a few days later. Podiatrist likened it to a hardboiled egg whose shell had been cracked, but still maintained the same shape. Generally makes sense considering how I broke it--came down with force, but not like falling three stories. Ortho said I was lucky and unlucky. Unlucky that I broke it, but lucky that it really wasn't that bad, considering.

Four weeks out to the day from the fracture today. Pain is pretty minimal. I've had a couple little slips, but any pain was just from the soft tissue tightening around it. Didn't really weight it. Non-weightbearing for at least another 3-4 weeks I think. I have my first followup with the podiatrist next week. I assume they'll do films to check on it and send me home for another month. Swelling is pretty mellow. Getting rides to work and then propping it on my desk on a pillow and icing it here. Icing it at home and sleeping with it up too. Scouring Craigslist for a decent used road bike to spin on once I'm clear for partial weightbearing. Have a nice fluid trainer already that'd been sitting in the closet for years.

Ortho said skiing Shasta/Lassen in late May is a distinct possibility. He also said I should be able to run again in time and do anything I did before, though I'll probably deal with osteoarthritis in a few years and possible need to do subtalar fusion in 15-20 years. I was looking at recent (2013-2014) studies of stem cell treatments in PubMed yesterday, and they look pretty promising in terms of cartilage regeneration, so I'm hopeful fusion doesn't need to happen by the time any arthritis gets that bad. In the meantime, I suppose I'll start taking glucosamine and chondroitin supplements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Interesting. I was told that I would most likely need a fusion at some point as well. I was actually told that when I broke my foot the first time back in 2001. Since then I have had to have surgery to remove bone spurs that have grown around the old break. I also have some osteoarthritis. I'm in the same boat as you in that I'm hoping I can avoid a fusion for as long as possible to see what medical advances pop up in that time. Has your research led you to believe that glucosamine-chondroitin works, or are willing to try it on the off chance that it does?

Recovery will seem really slow at first when you start weight bearing again, and you'll have days that seem worse than the day before. But it gets better quickly. Hang in there.

Thanks for the kind words. Fingers crossed.

Re the G-C stuff, it seems the literature is mixed on it. But scroll down to the conclusions of this 2011 study (which appears to me to be kind of a summary/distillation of all the then-existing research): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3150191/ I figure it can't hurt, at least. And it seems that while it's not fully understood how effective it is, it's generally acknowledged to be effective.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

ZZZ, what was your (more recent) fracture like in terms of severity and fixation? Yours sounds significantly worse than mine. Zartagen's does too.

ZZZ, what was your (more recent) fracture like in terms of severity and fixation? Yours sounds significantly worse than mine. Zartagen's does too.
    I'm too far out now to remember the terms and numbers but I had two screws placed to pull everything back together and I know that my subtalar was minimally affected. As far as calcaneus injuries go, mine certainly wasn't the worst. I had the screws out as soon as I could and a couple of months earlier than the doc wanted, but they were rubbing my achilles tendon constantly and making me pretty miserable.

Good to hear. I'm hoping for a similarly good outcome. Cautiously optimistic.

Had my first follow-up yesterday. X-rays first. Podiatrist #1 (younger guy) said things looked good and he even mentioned starting partial weightbearing (which surprised me because it's only been five weeks since the fracture). He said he wanted to discuss with the other podiatrist though (who was the guy listed on my appointment slip). After talking with him, he said continued non-weightbearing for now (expected). Next appointment on March 15. Doing lots of ROM stuff with it. Actually rolling my ankle around while it's resting on the other leg under my desk right now. I have a bunch of resistance bands at home. I may start trying some light resistance with the band over the forefoot and see how that feels. That calf has lost a LOT of muscle. Quad not so bad.

Podiatrist did say that although it's an intraarticular fracture, the joint surface looks good. So fingers crossed that future arthritis issues are manageable. I also asked him if I was out of the woods in terms of tripping and banging it while in the boot and he said yes. Relief. With the 18 MO twin toddlers at home, crutching around the house is a bit stressful.

Roverdoc looked at the x-rays too and was pleased with the bone healing so far.

Search for the rehab road bike going well. I found a screaming deal on a 2013 Spec Roubaix with all Ultegra stuff for $800. Stoked. Should be hitting that on the trainer next month and then hammering the local hills in April to get that muscle back.

Good to hear. I'm hoping for a similarly good outcome. Cautiously optimistic.
    No reason for caution in your optimism, you'll be fine.

The ortho on call in the ER told me that night that my injury was "life changing" and that I may never return to my previous level of activity. Fuck her. She sent me down a path of mental anguish that even now bothers me to think about. I went for a 30 mile MTB ride in September and I'm able to climb and ski all day now. I have no doubt that if I wanted to climb the Grand tomorrow, I could. I'd probably want advil the next morning, but shit, I'm 41 years old, I'd probably want some even without the sore foot.

What I'm saying is, you'll be doing what you want to do again in no time. The stories you hear otherwise are all from people that probably weren't that active prior.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    No reason for caution in your optimism, you'll be fine.

The ortho on call in the ER told me that night that my injury was "life changing" and that I may never return to my previous level of activity. Fuck her. She sent me down a path of mental anguish that even now bothers me to think about. I went for a 30 mile MTB ride in September and I'm able to climb and ski all day now. I have no doubt that if I wanted to climb the Grand tomorrow, I could. I'd probably want advil the next morning, but shit, I'm 41 years old, I'd probably want some even without the sore foot.

What I'm saying is, you'll be doing what you want to do again in no time. The stories you hear otherwise are all from people that probably weren't that active prior.
    My doc said the same thing, fuck em.

Word. I'm 32. Foot feels pretty damn good, all things considered. Fingers crossed for minimal arthritis in the future.

Was finally getting back to running in the fall too. Be some months for that I surmise. But stoked on that bike I'm about to grab.

Tempted to put in for Whitney in August/September. East Face and Buttress are on my list. Haven't done them yet...

Quote Originally Posted by JTrue View Post
    My doc said the same thing, fuck em.
    Hmmm...

I don't think any provider out there has bad intentions, nor are they trying to send anyone into a spiral of depression. The reality of calcaneus fractures is that they can be severe injuries. You're right - attitude and life approach trumps everytime. But realize that not all calcaneus fractures are the same, and in some cases comparing one to another is like comparing a double black diamond on the east coast to one in Jackson Hole or Alta. High energy ones that occur in a motor vehicle collision or falling 30 ft. off of scaffolding are different than those that happen stepping awkwardly off a curb. Furthermore, many studies underscore that these are often life-altering, especially for people that work in manual labor.

There is enormous hope for any member of the community that sustains such an injury. Some can be treated nonoperatively and some require surgery. My only recommendation is that, if you're going to have surgery, find someone who fixes a lot of these injuries (often an orthopedic surgeon with subspecialty training in foot and ankle surgery or trauma). They can be technically challenging with a lot at stake.

I'm glad so many people are doing well - it gives others hope. On the other hand, if you're out there struggling after such an injury, that's okay, too. You have a lot of company and just realize that improvement can take a number of years. Activities like biking are going to be easier than impact activities such as running, and you'll have plenty of people in this community to reach out to for support and to get you excited about new ways to stay active.

Heal up quick everyone!
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

^^^ Those are excellent points.

I have to say, given experience with the half dozen orthos and three podiatrists I saw re my elsewhere-mentioned tib-tib spiral (plus malleolus) that developed checkrein, that bedside manner and nuance can vary quite widely. Head of ortho at UC Irvine, for example, was a dickface and useless in terms of helping me figure out what was going on and addressing the issue. As was a highly-recommended Kaiser Podiatrist in SF. (Different plans and locations were due to job and living changes.) Others were more helpful.

Kaiser guys I've dealt with on this injury have been pretty good.

P.S.- Orthoski, your advice in here has been insightful and is a great service to the community. So, don't take such ranting the wrong way please.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    The ortho on call in the ER told me that night that my injury was "life changing" and that I may never return to my previous level of activity. Fuck her. She sent me down a path of mental anguish that even now bothers me to think about.
    I had an opposite but equally absurd experience with my clavicle break. Went to Instacare for initial x-rays to avoid the ER shitshow. Got a canned response from the Doc (he literally had a book he was reading out of) about non-operative treatment being the standard for clavicle fractures unless the bone had broken through the skin. No concerns whatsoever about the >200% displacement in the break. He would have sent me home with a sling and painkillers and no plans for any follow-up care. Thankfully I knew enough to see an ortho, where I was told the absolute best case scenario without surgery was a minimum 6-month recovery, malunion and moderate shoulder dysfunction, with potential for far worse outcomes. If I had listened to that prick at Instacare I'd sill be in a sling, and what was an easily fixable injury would surely have been "life-changing."
    Last edited by Dantheman; 02-19-2016 at 10:23 AM.

Been alternating between crutch-walking and walking in the boot for a week or two now. Lots of soreness around and below the malleolus on both sides. Better in the morning, and then sore by the end of the day. Desk job, not walking tons or anything. Also hardening of the tissue, which has been there for a while. Any thoughts on how long it takes for the tissue to remodel? It's been seven years since my tib-fib-malleolus fracture of the other leg and I can't remember.

Gonna start spinning on the new bike probably tonight. Hard to find the time with F/T job and 20 MO twins, but need to do this right.

P.S.- Podiatrist I saw last week was actually pretty optimistic on my likelihood of OA in the future. He said there's obviously no way to know for sure, but he said most of the energy was in the tuber of the calc and the fracture that went into the subtalar joint hit the joint surface in an area where there's a bit more space--I guess making it less likely to create friction with the opposing bone surface and damage the cartilage? Pretty good alignment with everything too. I saw that particular podiatrist a few years ago and he's my favorite at the pod-otho clinic. Think he's the department head.
    Last edited by LightRanger; 03-22-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Hello, all.

I just saw this thread and figured I'd post for any current or future heel breakers that might have questions.

I took a bad fall in Jan 15' which resulted in multiple fractures in both calcanei (along with 5 broken vertebrae...yikes!). I had displacements in both heels but was not operated on. I was two months non weight bearing and one month partial. I'm 35.

Considering my injuries I still skied the cascades, the grass of the thin east, and even corbet's this season.

Sure, I have some pain, but that's part of the price to have fun I suppose.

Feel free to touch base with questions. I reached out to Zartegen when I was casted up.

Ultimately, you'll be able to do whatever you want, but it might take some time and you will have some pain.

Compound Fracture Calcaus

Hi all, I stumbled across this thread the other night when I couldn’t sleep (withdrawing from the oxy) and thought I’d share my recent experience. I overshot a table top and landed in the flats the last week of February ‘16, I am in my 16th week of recovery.

I’m a 41 year old male, used to compete at freeskiing events in my 20’s and recently got back into skiing the past 2 years after a 10 year hiatus. I was planning on going to the qualifier at Big Sky this past March, but I got a bit sidetracked with having to learn how to walk again.I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and was running 5K every other day up until my wreck.

I’ve had six ski related surgeries, and this was by far my biggest. I tore my left rotator cuff in my last freeskiing event in Snowmass 14 years ago and re-tore that same one last summer when surfing when I came down on my board…I had my second rotator cuff surgery last fall in Sept ’15, and wasn’t cleared to be back on snow until March, my first day back was January 10th. I mention this because when I was looking down and knowing I was overshooting the LZ I knew I had to protect my shoulder, thus I basically pushed down and was trying to make the skis absorb as much as possible, but it was a quick double eject, it was just way too much force.

I sustained a compound fracture of my left calcaneus (six screws – bone popped out the side and back), snapped my wrist (plate and 3 screws), and added a moderate to severe concussion for good measure. Funny thing is I can’t recall the pain, I went into shock and just reacted right away calling a kid to come over and take my boot off, I knew it was swelling fast. I bit down on my ski pole when he took it off and when I saw the blood I knew it was a compound. I immediately packed snow around it and turned my body around to elevate it as much as possible. Getting the boot off was the only pain I can really recall. I was taken to trauma and was in surgery within 5 hours.

At first I thought I messed my shoulder up again, but I am happy to say I shielded it from the crash and didn’t tear it again…the doctor said he wouldn’t operate on it a 3rd time - so mission accomplished, but I did put all the force into my foot, wrist, and face (planted the pole on impact). It could’ve been a lot worse.

Like a few others mentioned on here, my doctor told me the day after surgery that I needed to prepare myself to accept the fact that I may never ski again. It didn’t really upset me, because I knew he was wrong. I was in the gym two days after my surgery and did anything that I could - lots of legs lifts while laying flat on my back, moving my legs like riding a bike as long as I could while laying on my back, ab work, back work, and lots of stretching.

Weeks 1-3 Wheelchair
    Weeks 3-8 Walker
    Weeks 8-12 Walking in boot
    Weeks 13+ Tennis Shoes

I received a full release on my left wrist at 7 ½ weeks, the doctors were amazed and actually brought in other doctors to show off a new type of plate they used on me for that, I had 90-95% rotation at that time and said I was going to make a full recovery on it. It’s at that time they mentioned I was making one of the fastest recoveries they’d seen on these injuries.

I’ve been going to the gym 2-3 hours at a time 5-7 days a week since the crash. At 8 weeks (once the scabs fell off) I was in the pool. At 10 weeks I began swimming a mile every other day. At 12 weeks, the days I don’t swim I am able to push myself as hard as ever on the exercise bike, typically going for 45-60 minutes and doing 15-20 miles. I began light lifting at 8 weeks on my wrist, and at 12 weeks I stopped and realized I am doing everything with my upper body that I was able to do prior to re-tearing my cuff last fall. I am in the best shape of my life, other than my foot.

I received a full release at 12 weeks on my shoulder – I did extensive PT post-crash work on both shoulders and continue to do so, and I now have better rotation in my left than my right where I have a minor tear.

I am doing everything that my PT doc tells me to do and then some. I can’t stress to others how important it is to stick with the PT, get into the gym, and get in the pool as much as possible.

I just saw the doctor three weeks ago for my calcaneus. At 13 weeks he said that I should try to begin walking without the boot...I carried my boot to my car that day and haven’t had it on since.

I think the biggest reasons I am making such a fast recovery is that I am in really good shape and didn’t allow this to slow me down. Just getting around was the tough part, all the little day to day things you take for granted, I had to lean on others for help which can be tough for me to do. The first three weeks were hell tho, the constant throbbing and it was just so incredibly tender it kept me in the wheelchair. I had to bounce around on one foot then in my walker for another 5 weeks, and my right calf got huge…while my left disappeared.

The doctor told me to do anything that I want to do now since the bone is healed and if it hurts, then simply don’t do it. He said that I had more rotation on my foot at 14 weeks then he sees some have after they have plateaued…He said I won’t plateau for another 3-6 months and he thinks by the way it’s going I am going to make a full recovery and even said I can probably job again in the future, he said I can ski again too but no more table tops...so I best stick to the west and deep snow as opposed to the icy Midwest where I live now. I am planning on doing a triathlon the first week of August, although I may be a little slow on the run.

The other thing I am about to mention doesn’t get talked about a lot, and it’s going to be my biggest struggle on all this for the next few weeks. I wouldn't be where I am at now without the oxy, and I am currently being weaned off it and trying to stick to the doctors’ orders for tapering since I already have had a couple hellish nights where I have run out and gone into withdrawals. In the early weeks, up until about week 8 I had run out several times for 2-4 day stretches and had no issues other than I was in pain. But now I am at the point I've been on it for 4 months and going cold turkey isn't very fun.

I typically would take 20-35mg before the gym and then 10mg after the gym. I try to keep off it as long as I can each day until I go to the gym, and without it – I know there is no way I’d be at this point in my recovery.

I was prescribed 40-60mg/day in the first 3 weeks and they took me off fairly rapidly at that time, and tried to have me off it by week 8. I went to a pain clinic at that time and I was surprised they just asked me how much I wanted to start with had me sign a contract for my pain plan to taper. I kept it realistic and began at 50mg’s a day at week 8, I am now down to 27.5 mg’s and really all it’s doing now is keeping me from withdrawals more than anything due to my tolerance going up. I usually take my full daily allotment in one dose right before I go to the gym. I have to admit though some days I take more which cause me to be out in the last few days before I can refill. It wasn’t until the past 2 weeks that I noticed the withdrawals though, I vomited last night, had the bugs and tingling feeling all over my body, the aches, there is no doubt I have become dependent on it. I can’t fall asleep no matter how tired I am without it. I have asked the doctor for an Ambien script so I can at least sleep on those nights and not drive my GF crazy, I’m filling that later this week, and suspect that should help a lot, since the only time the withdrawals really suck is at bedtime. They tried morphine sulfate, hydrocodone, and Tramadol on me, but percocet has been the most effective one for controlling my pain and allowing me to do the things I could do pre-crash.

The doctors are saying that its best for me to still be on it so that I can walk boot free and rebuild my calf. When I don’t take the oxy I do favor it and walk with a limp, but when on it I try to walk exactly like I would normally and am able to do so. They say that’s helping me to not develop a bad habit of walking with a limp.

I discuss it all with my GF and keep my doctors informed and am 100% up front and honest with them all since I know this isn’t something to mess around with. To be honest, this is the toughest part of my rehab, basically learning how to live without the oxy. I have gone to the gym several times without it, and it is hell to do the things I can do when on it. I can swim and bike so much harder when on it than not taking any. That’s the scary part to me that it is having the same effect to me that body builders probably get from steroids.

My swelling is almost gone now at week 16, I put my ski boot on two night s ago, and it fits I see the doctor again in 2 months and at that time I will hopefully know if I want to take out the screws. Right now my pain is centered on all 6 screw heads, but that pain may dissipate in next two months. I really don’t want to do another surgery, since it would be 6 more scope holes I imagine, and would then be off it and back in a boot for 4-6 weeks. If I take them out, it would have to be this calendar year due to reaching my deductible, free surgery basically…I guess after half a dozen I get a free one. I only have the pain coming from 2 mainly, where the compound occurred.

So there isn’t much to it other than do your PT, go to the gym, get in the pool, ride the exercise bike, stretch, and use the PK’s as needed but be mindful they can become a problem, like they are now to me.

I’m planning a couple trips already to BC and CO next winter. I put all that effort I have for the love of skiing into my rehab, the doctor telling me to prepare myself for the fact I may never ski again was alarming when he mentioned it, but it was much needed because I immediately was motivated to prove him wrong.

^^^ Awesome dude.

I skied again for the first time the weekend before Memorial Day at Squaw for a couple hours of late May powder. Felt good overall, but the bit of lingering swelling made me quit after a couple of hours. Simply pressure from a boot that's still tighter than ideal. It was more though that it was getting super gloppy from the May sun, ACL-tear style. If it was cold, I probably would've stuck it out for another couple of hours.

Are you having trouble withdrawing from the oxycodone because of the pain or because of drug craving? Makes a big difference in the approach to withdrawal. What are you using for pain in addition to the oxycodone? Did the pain clinic recommend any of the seizure or antidepressant drugs that are sometimes used for chronic pain?

Over six months after fracturing calcaneus, & foot & ankle still swollen!

When is this swelling finally going to go away for good? I can't even stand on it for any length of time b/c it swells so badly! I also now have pain on the top of my foot, & on the outer side about 1 1/2 inches below pinky toe. Is this related to the injury?

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulminxx View Post
    When is this swelling finally going to go away for good? I can't even stand on it for any length of time b/c it swells so badly! I also now have pain on the top of my foot, & on the outer side about 1 1/2 inches below pinky toe. Is this related to the injury?
    Your foot is dealin with a major trauma. Keep it elevated and I would get a bucket and fill it with ice water. Submerge it for 20-30 minutes then take it out. Do that a number of times then after 2-3,days I would incorporate heat into the process.

Kaiser Podiatrist in SF

I'm curious to know who your Kaiser Podiatrist in SF was? I'm going to see Dr. Schuberth this coming Friday as he was highly recommended by another podiatrist in Redwood City. I am hoping he will be able to help me with my calcaneus fracture.

^^^ Those are excellent points.

I have to say, given experience with the half dozen orthos and three podiatrists I saw re my elsewhere-mentioned tib-tib spiral (plus malleolus) that developed checkrein, that bedside manner and nuance can vary quite widely. Head of ortho at UC Irvine, for example, was a dickface and useless in terms of helping me figure out what was going on and addressing the issue. As was a highly-recommended Kaiser Podiatrist in SF. (Different plans and locations were due to job and living changes.) Others were more helpful.

Kaiser guys I've dealt with on this injury have been pretty good.

It was Schuberth. My $.02 with Kaiser guys is to get a second opinion for complex ortho stuff. Kaiser is great for some stuff, and so-so for really specific complex stuff like what I was dealing with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Has anyone here had fractures that were not displaced but involved the joint and didn’t get surgery how did you fair. I have been told mines not displaced but does involve the joint with or without surgery there’s the possibility of needing a fusion down the road. I’m not sure which way to go because it seems that either way the outcomes can be the same. Fell about 10 ft from icy ladder and hitakwardly on one foot. I’m pretty active as far as cross country hiking etc. would prefer no surgery but hoping there’s someone that had something similar happen to them I could get feedback from.

I'm a little over 5 weeks out from a non-displaced calcaneus fracture. I've been non-weight bearing since then, and in a soft boot. I'm 23, don't smoke, eat everything, and would consider myself relatively healthy.

Does anyone have any experience with hucking or touring long days after you're "fully recovered" from an injury like this, and what that means? In the past I've skied big mountain pretty hard, hucking, flipping, etc., and want to know if that is completely out of the cards for the future, or if it'll be possible in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Damp View Post
    I'm a little over 5 weeks out from a non-displaced calcaneus fracture. I've been non-weight bearing since then, and in a soft boot. I'm 23, don't smoke, eat everything, and would consider myself relatively healthy.

Does anyone have any experience with hucking or touring long days after you're "fully recovered" from an injury like this, and what that means? In the past I've skied big mountain pretty hard, hucking, flipping, etc., and want to know if that is completely out of the cards for the future, or if it'll be possible in time.
    I broke both mine about ten years ago. Non displaced on my right foot and totally crushed my left heel and socket. Plate and 10 screws in the left.
    The right is totally 100% again. No issues at all. It's like it never happened.
    The left is still an issue. Gets swollen after a hike, I have big heel bumps like haglunds under my Achilles where the rear screws went in. My ankle mobility is reduced to about 75%.
    I have no issues skiing though other than some swelling.

I'd take a guess and say you'll be back to normal in a year. Start doing your PT exercises when your doc says you can. My legs were weak as piss after 3 months in a chair.

Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app