Fast-ish multi shot point and shoot options

I already own way too much crap in the realm of 'real' photo gear, a 7D, a 6D and the expected way too expensive and plentiful lenses. I want something small and quick to shoot real life, (skiing, biking etc) but have gotten kind of addicted to the 7-8fps shooting on the 7D. I don't know dick about point and shoots but there have to be some ones that shoot a few pics per second that don't suck. These things change models every year it seems but what's out there right this second?

I don't care about low light sensitivity, I don't care about fake 4k video......... Just what's a good optical zoom point and shoot that's decent for shooting daylight lit, moving stuff in true spray and pray fashion?

I can handle 400 bucks, 700 gets a little harder to swallow. Whatcha got?

How bout this lil guy?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ra_silver.html
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Lots of bigger sensor sized p and s out there these days. A bit beyond your budget, but the panasonic lx 100 has a micro 4/3 sensor and does 11 fps. Canon g7x is a 1" sensor and does 6.5 fps and is closer to 700. There's the Fuji x30 too which is a bit more affordable than those other two. All of the above have fast lenses. It is a really good time to be shopping for a high quality compact camera.

Thanks, I'll look those up.

Yeah it's a little overwhelming with these guys. Reading some of the complaints in dpreview is providing some really good entertainment though.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I've been using the Sony rx100 miii for a while now. Love it. Great iq, size, and burst. The miii isn't cheap but the mi & mii are still solid and can be had for much cheaper...

I am very happy with my Canon SX280 HS. That said, I have never owned a DSLR and it's significantly under your price range, so I'm sure you can do better.

x30 looks cool. Fuji has definitely found the sweet spot for traditionalists.

Quote Originally Posted by bobrmr View Post
    I've been using the Sony rx100 miii for a while now. Love it. Great iq, size, and burst. The miii isn't cheap but the mi & mii are still solid and can be had for much cheaper...
    Ditto... I have 1st generation, and love it.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Canon s120

Shoots raw(continuous at 2 fps), jpeg(continuous at 12fps), full manual control. Pretty damn small for the options.

Retails for $399, picked up a gray market camera from eglobalcentral for $273 shipped, got here in 4 days from China, packaged really well.

http://www.eglobalcentral.com/canon-...-black-en.html
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...anon-s120A.HTM

Quote Originally Posted by JTrue View Post
    Canon s120

Shoots raw(continuous at 2 fps), jpeg(continuous at 12fps), full manual control. Pretty damn small for the options.

Retails for $399, picked up a gray market camera from eglobalcentral for $273 shipped, got here in 4 days from China, packaged really well.

http://www.eglobalcentral.com/canon-...-black-en.html
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...anon-s120A.HTM
    That's another one that keeps popping up (mostly because of the price). You don't HAVE to use the touchscreen for everything do you?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    That's another one that keeps popping up (mostly because of the price). You don't HAVE to use the touchscreen for everything do you?

Thanks!
    Nope, I just got mine, but haven't really used the touchscreen yet. Sure it could be useful for certain features, but the dial controls are super intuitive. I was picking between the rx100 and the s120. For me it came down to size and price. I mostly use it for ski touring and have a smallish mountainsmith camera case attached to my shoulder strap. If the camera is hard to get to because I can't keep it in a chest pocket or on my chest strap I won't pull it out. I do wish it was a little faster while shooting raw. Looks like the rx100 miii will shoot 10fps(jpeg) 6.72fps(raw) in speed priority mode, but slows down considerably if you want it to auto focus between shots 3.3fps(jpeg) 2.8fps(raw). Obviously will have better low light performance as well with the larger sensor. Guess it just depends on what you'll be using it for.

I was using a Canon ELPH 310hs with the chdk firmware hack(allows you to shoot raw on most any canon p+s) previously and was pretty happy with how the images turned out.

Yeah what you're describing is exactly what I'll be using it for. I do things all the time I'd like a non-shitty phone camera shot for. Just want quick and easy.............for action.

Thanks man. It was down to that or a panasonic LX7 but I read some gripes about write speeds with the panasonic. This looks like it will do. When I want badass, I have the cameras for that......I just want to shoot general skiing/biking life sometimes.

7 fps, decent camera for spray and pray. can pick up a used one for cheap used...

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-.../dp/B004M8SVGG

I also have never owned a DSLR and it's significantly under your price range, so I'm sure you can do better.

Bump. Woo what did you end up getting?

I am mostly researching on the RX100iii. The RX100 seems to kill it on every review in this class of camera.

Canon g16
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Canon g16
    Smaller sensor and larger body...why it over the RX100?

I had the original G7 and loved it, convinced the mother in law to by a G12 a couple years back and it's still a great camera, but size plays a factor here.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Smaller sensor and larger body...why it over the RX100?

I had the original G7 and loved it, convinced the mother in law to by a G12 a couple years back and it's still a great camera, but size plays a factor here.
    Only the RX100 I or II could compete, and those have 28-100mm f/1.8-4.8 lenses with LCD only vs the Canon G16 28-140mm f/1.8-2.8 and an optical viewfinder + LCD.

If you want to shoot action, the G16 wins. The newer RX100s have 24-70mm lenses... too short!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

^^^ I've always found, too, that I really like the optical viewfinder to track a fast moving subject. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.