Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US road trip planning.....any suggestions?

Hey

Currently planning a big trip around the mountains of western US for next October. We have a rough plan in place already but are looking for stuff to do along the way, and don't mind detouring a bit to get certain things in.

Our rough plan....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1420998129.064644.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	507.5 KB 
ID:	162571

We start at the end of September with one of the guys running a 100miler and the rest of us supporting him, then we have about a month on the road in big ass R.V climbing, hiking, running, biking, camping, boozing and eating shit loads of your fine American fast food.

As far as what we will be doing we are a real mixed bunch, all friends through skiing but as for summer we all climb at certain levels, some of us run ultra's, some are mountain bikers but all keen to do a little bit of everything outdoorsy and cool, I really wanna explore some canyons.

Climbing wise we will be limited on gear due to baggage allowances but will probably bring one or 2 full trad racks between the 6 of us, but will have plenty for moderate alpine routes including axe and crampons. We would be keen to rent tech axes somewhere if something was in condition when we arrived at somewhere like the Tetons....

Anyway we are looking for info on hikes, bikes, runs, camping spots, climbs and (mainly in my view) long classic ridge scrambles/mountaineering routes.

Cheers for any info, I'm well excited for this one as I haven't explored the states much and it's been a dream for a while.

Sounds like a sick trip!! All cool areas.

There's good climbing around Ouray and some cool alpine routes in the area. Check out te wham ridge, easy but a classic. I'm sure there's harder shit around. Driving from the San Juans to flagstaff I'd add a few stops. First at Indian creek for limitless splitter sandstone, and second in Page for canyoneering. Tons of it there. Both aren't too big of detours and shouldn't be missed. You could then drive around the south rim of the Grand Canyon down towards flag. It's worth seeing even if you don't leave the RV.

Another thought is the Moab area, climbing but also world class biking.

Then red rocks is sick obviously. And you can't go wrong with the Tetons. Boulder climbing in the fall won't disappoint either.

Have fun, sounds like a good time
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

You're driving right past St. George and Hurricane in Southern Utah, awesome biking and I know there is some climbing and canyoneering to be done in the area. This thread has some good info.

I don't climb myself but there was a thread here this fall about City of Rock in Idaho that made it look like a very cool spot, its not too far out of the way of your current path. Weather could be hit or miss in October.

Looks like an awesome trip. In SLC, you should do the South ridge of Mt. Superior (5.4) in Little Cottonwood Canyon across from Snowbird, the classic Wasatch ridge scramble. My favorite trail run in this area is to start at Brighton ski area and head up and over Catherine's Pass, dropping into Alta, then up Grizzly Gulch and over Twin Lakes Pass back to Brighton. Its about 9.5 miles, guessing about 4,000 vert and beautiful. There's a ton of stuff to do here, but I'd put those high on the list for a visitor.

Awesome, thanks so much for the suggestions.....keep em coming!

How can you not hit the Sierra? Season is getting a little late, but Oct climbing there is fantastic. Some of the best high alpine granite you will find anywhere. As easy or as hard as you can want it. Short approaches or ultra marathon quality approaches. I couldn't read your map on my phone, so I couldn't tell if J Tree was included. it should be. There tons of other good climbs in California, but the eastern Sierra and the tree are would class. Taquitz and Suicide I'd want to live some climbing history. Of course every climber needs to make a pilgrimage to Mecca, AKA Yosemite Valley at some point in his/her life. Preferably more then one.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Let's see, I would spend some time doing multi-pitch moderates in Red Rocks, there is also mountain biking near Pahrump while your in the area. Maybe some canyons is Grand Staircase Escalante, If everyone is fit you could do Buckskin Gulch and up to White House campground in a day. Indian Creek, Moab, Fruita are all places not to miss. City of Rocks is well worth stopping at we had beautiful weather in October this last year but could have just as easily had snow.

Damn, I really need to get out on another roadtrip

October could be somewhat hit or miss but Rocky Mountain National Park has some awesome moderate ridge scrambles. Typically without the problematic summer thunderstorms that time of year.

What hutash said. If you're looking for "moderate alpine routes" and "long classic ridge scrambles/mountaineering routes," it's pretty hard to beat the High Sierra--especially as you get later in the fall you're relatively more likely to get hit by weather further north (Tetons). A few listed here :http://adventuresportsjournal.com/hi...-sierra-climbs But there's a lifetime of them out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

In order from Vegas going north:

Red Rocks in Vegas = very good views and climbing

St George area climbing is good

Maple Canyon is pretty cool conglomerate climbing, a unique place to check out while driving to SLC (it's East of I-15 outside Beaver, backside of the mountains.

American Fork for some limestone climbing under Mt. Timpanogos.

City of Rocks in SE Idaho is among the best for granite, sport/trad, multipitch or single.. got everything

Vedauwoo is in south central Wyoming and it looks like you'll pass it. Trad/Off Width granite heaven.

I wouldn't spend much time in Boulder, personally. Yes there is a lot of climbing/hiking/MTB, but I honestly don't think it's THAT good and it's very crowded. So many better areas in Colorado more deserving of your time. The only thing I'd do in the area is maybe alpine climbs in RMNP (best concentration of technical alpine climbing in the state), hikes or 3rd/4th class scrambles in the Indian Peaks, and maybe a day in Eldorado Canyon midweek only. (I personally think the climbing in Eldo is highly overrated. Important from a historical perspective yes, but incredible climbing no.)

For the high peaks/alpine in Colorado Oct will be really hit or miss. Could be fantastic weather, could be a blizzard. I usually get my first ski day sometime early Oct in the high country. But the Crestone group in the Sangre de Cristos, the Little Bear/Blanca traverse (also Sangres), anything in the Gore Range, anything in the San Juans, are awesome and way less crowded than anything near Boulder, especially that late in the season, if the weather cooperates. I'd be prepared to travel on some snow/ice anywhere you go over 11k in Oct. If the weather sucks up high, bail to Shelf Road for quality limestone sport climbing in a great, peaceful location, or out to the desert in Utah.

Though less direct, I might suggest revising your route a little bit - blast from Boulder up to the Tetons first thing, then come back down to CO and spend some time in early Oct in the areas listed above until the weather goes to shit, then blast out to Moab/St. George/Vegas as the weather cools off, then just push back to Denver in a day for your flight home. Skip the urban (SLC, Denver, Boulder) and maximize the awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I'd be prepared to travel on some snow/ice anywhere you go over 11k in Oct.
    Great info, we were wondering about what sorta time the weather starts coming in.

You live in Whistler? You've seen plenty of mountains, so focus on the desert. There is no place on earth (except maybe Oman) that is like southern Utah. For trad climbing, mountain biking, running, rivers, cliff jumping, shock and awe beauty and solitude, it doesn't get any better. Unreal road tripping. And October is the perfect time of year to visit. Post pics and have fun!

we visited city of rocks last summer it was awesome - http://www.powdork.com/2014/summer-in-the-city/
    we also did a trip this fall that covers a lot of the southern portion of your trip. we wished we spent more time in sedona just south of flagstaff. great climbing and biking
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...resfromwalmart
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    You live in Whistler? You've seen plenty of mountains, so focus on the desert.
    Aye, split time between whistler and chamonix so mountains are covered. Never been to a desert so stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Aye, split time between whistler and chamonix so mountains are covered. Never been to a desert so stoked!
    Whistler and Cham?! You are one lucky bastard.

In that case, I'd say forget your ridge traverses and alpine time, get yo desert rat on! Pick up this excellent guidebook to the Escalante area and do one of the longer loops. The Escalante is unreal: http://www.amazon.com/Canyoneering-L.../dp/0874805457 Spend some time in Zion slots too - lots of great objectives there, but recommend a guide for your first foray (even for experienced mountaineers/climbers, technical canyoneering is a different beast). Moab area has scads of excellent crack climbing and mountain biking. Check out the San Rafael Swell for more remote, less trafficked climbing.
    Last edited by meter-man; 01-21-2015 at 02:35 PM.

I never climbed Vedauwoo, but really wish I had.

There's some good climbing in Alcova right outside Casper WY. Some ok mtn biking as well, watch out for thorns though.

Looks like a hell of trip.

There's a ton of climbing resources around Ouray and it's not crowded.
    http://www.ouraycolorado.com/ouray-a...taineering.php
    http://ouraysports.com/

And just down the road near Ridgeway there's Orvis Hot Springs:
    http://www.orvishotsprings.com/ .

In Ouray, hit O'Briens for ale and bar food.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

October in the Tetons is getting late, but visiting Yellowstone that time of year is nice. If the weather is marginal I'd head for the desert right off.

X2 on Vedauwoo, City of Rocks, Red Rocks, with maybe a trip over to Jtree and Moab then Fruita. If you are going in October, you might want to just stay in the desert and concentrate on that because City of Rocks and the Tetons could be already be getting cold/snow. But, I can't steer you away from either.

devils tower?

if you really want to see the desert maybe push it a bit into death valley?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

After re-reading the OP, here is a ridge hike/climb in ZIon, Cowboy Ridge on MT. Kinesava while in the neighborhood hire a guide to take you canyoneering if you want to do something technical.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    devils tower?

if you really want to see the desert maybe push it a bit into death valley?
    Devil's Tower is in the middle of nowhere. I'm not saying don't go but it's out of the way from just about anywhere.

I'd second the Sierra for long alpine routes. I'm not sure about when Tuolumne usually gets shut down with snow but it's beautiful and is way less hectic than Yosemite Valley (when does it quiet down). Red Rocks is sweet too and you could sample the craziness that is Las Vegas as well.

This thread is turning into a bucket list

Lots of great places in the western deserts, but the problem is they are so huge and spread out that you can waste a lot of time in them if you don't know where to go. Death Valley is a perfect example, while I love the place and have been there a dozen time it is a. er difficult place to really explore. 4x4 or an adventure bike are the way to see the hidden gems. Otherwise it is just too massive to really comprehend. Southern Utah or Joshua Tree are much more user friendly.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot