Fully torn Patellar tendon

Earlier this week I landed off a small drop and felt a crazy ripping sensation in my knee, I went down and felt a second pop. I knew right away something wasn't right, 2 hospital visits later and I was diagnosed with a fully torn Patellar Tendon, and surgery scheduled for monday, they try to rush you in asap (the likely hood of an unsuccessful surgery goes up after about 2 weeks post injury with this I guess) Now to my questions, anyone else have this happen? Things to be mindful of? What is the outlook like, both during rehab and after? and will I be back to normal after 4-6 months like the doc was saying.

I have had 2 acl replacement surgeries already (both knees) so I unfortunately know the knee routine just not for this injury, and google has been less than helpful with a lot of my questions.

Long time lurker here though I don't post much at all, I search barred it before posting, only a few threads popped up. Thanks all!

Were ur 2 acls using a patella graft, hamstring, cadaver or something else?

the knee that this happened on used a patella graft. the other knee was hamstring (the patella graft was the first one to go) to anyone having to get acl surgery i would HIGHLY recommend a hamstring graft. This knee had been giving me problems in the patella area since day 1 post opp. the hamstring graft knee has been going at about 95-100% since i got it done.

Alkyy - sorry to hear about your injury. While it may take 4-6 months for the patellar tendon repair to heal enough to allow skiing, don't forget that your entire quad muscle is going to atrophy and will require re-strengthening. Thus, it will probably take a little longer than that to feel "normal" (certainly longer than four months). Don't rush it, live vicariously through trip reports on this forum (most people on the East Coast do this anyway without injuries), and most people ultimately do quite well.

Best of luck healing.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Holy shit that is intense. Good luck getting healthy and strong again.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.