Thread: Pike rct3 setup

Pike rct3 setup

I searched and didn't find anything. I have a new pike and am still trying to get it dialed in and I'm terrible at just "feeling" where it needs to be. I have the air pressure and sag set but I'm struggling with rebound and LSC. I weigh 175 with gear and ride rocky trails, hardly ever get more than a foot or two of air. Currently LSC is two clicks from open and rebound is four clicks from slowest. Just curious how others are running.

Edit: I guess I should add that this is a Tallboy Lt, 140mm travel.

I'm running all of the bottomless tokens on the same bike/fork. I ride my fork in the "open" or "descend" mode and run my LSC about 3-4 clicks from open. I forget where my rebound is set, but its fast-ish. I run 95-100psi, weighing 200lbs.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I'm riding a 130 on a SC Bantam, I weigh about 125 pounds with a pack/camelback/camera. I run 44-46 psi, 4 clicks from open on LSC, I had been running rebound dead in the middle because I hadn't felt the need to change it but was starting to notice it was a bit slow for everyday riding in MT, really noticed it in Gooseberry. Haven't dialed it in yet, but a couple clicks faster than dead center atm.

The lower travel 29er Pikes are more linear - so you likely will want to run a air volume spacer (bottomless token).

Rebound is going to be "to feel". That said, many have found Rapid Recovery to cause them to run it a hair slower than "parking lot feel" may imply.

I rely on the spring to do most of what I want the fork to do and leave the damping circuitry pretty wide open. I'm also trying to do as much as I can for my hands as possible.

I weight 190. 160mm Pike. 95-100psi. Zero tokens. Wide open low speed.

EDIT: what are you struggling with?

Sounds like you need to back off the rebound damping a bit. Like JJ said, run it faster than you think.

On the solo air I had, I'd also run about 15-20% sag. Even with the volume reducers it was still a little loose in the midstroke.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    The lower travel 29er Pikes are more linear - so you likely will want to run a air volume spacer (bottomless token).

Rebound is going to be "to feel". That said, many have found Rapid Recovery to cause them to run it a hair slower than "parking lot feel" may imply.

I rely on the spring to do most of what I want the fork to do and leave the damping circuitry pretty wide open. I'm also trying to do as much as I can for my hands as possible.

I think struggling was the wrong word. More curious. I think the 29 140 comes with a bottomless token installed from what I've read. I thought LSC two clicks from full open seemed wrong, but from what I've read here and elsewhere maybe not?

It depends on what you're riding. If you want to pump things or stay level in a bunch of chatter, turn it up a little.

If you're riding something tight, slow and rough, back it off so it stays supple. There's no one ideal setting. I mess with that LSC damper constantly depending on where I am.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Sounds like you need to back off the rebound damping a bit. Like JJ said, run it faster than you think.

On the solo air I had, I'd also run about 15-20% sag. Even with the volume reducers it was still a little loose in the midstroke.
    So this is a little confusing, JJ's post seems to have said that running slower is normal, while Kidwoo says run it faster than you think. And when you say back off the rebound damping, you mean faster? And faster means more open?

Sorry in advance, I'm a total suspension newb and I'm coming off years on a hardtail. And for the record, I'm not an adjust to fit the days ride type of guy, I just want to set it and forget it.

I was just going off your "rebound is four clicks from slowest" statement (and actually misread what JJ said). Without crazy high pressures, that's pretty damped.

But 'more' or 'less' from either one of us isn't really starting from the same baseline since neither of us are bouncing on your fork right now.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 01-13-2015 at 01:46 PM.