Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Can you give more details around what the PT did? I'm getting quite a bit of cracking/catching when releasing my leg from a full extension (like after doing a quad set, but then flexing my knee). I'm 7 months post-op and this is starting to grind on me (no pun intended).
    First she had me on the table with knee relaxed and she started manipulating the patella side to side. She said that seemed fine. But when she started trying to move it up and down it seemed "stuck" to her.

Here's a pretty good video that shows it better than I can describe it. Main thing is you need to make sure you're not just moving skin. When you move the patella you can actually feel it against the skins and see it move. Mobilization can be improved through massage etc. by somebody who knows what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    First she had me on the table with knee relaxed and she started manipulating the patella side to side. She said that seemed fine. But when she started trying to move it up and down it seemed "stuck" to her.

Here's a pretty good video that shows it better than I can describe it. Main thing is you need to make sure you're not just moving skin. When you move the patella you can actually feel it against the skins and see it move. Mobilization can be improved through massage etc. by somebody who knows what they are doing.

Thanks. I've come to realize that my anterior tightness/pain is due to the tightness around the patella and also the lateral side of my leg up to my hip flexors and piriformis. My PT session on Friday was uncomfortable and I was in quite a bit of pain during the day afterwards. I spent about 2 hours Friday evening stretching and massaging my leg and hip/piriformis... using the foam roller, rolling pin and manual manipulation (including the patella as in the video). Sure enough, I felt great on Saturday.

I believe so much of my patellofemoral pain is due to the tightness in the lateral side of my leg. My PT seems to be in agreement with my diagnosis.

OK, I gotta go stretch now.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Seriously, find somebody trained in Active Relief Therapy (ART). All that tightness you mention in your thread was exactly what my guy was working on today and it has been helping a lot.

The ART has helped relieve the pain and tightness, but in addition to the stuck patella, my PT says the lower scar is stuck so we've been working on getting that to release and become part of the skin, rather than stuck to interior tissue. She thinks this stuck scar was pulling down on my patella and compounding the other problems.

You can tell a scar is stuck by moving the skin around and pinching it and if the scar stays in one place and doesn't rise up, it's attached underneath and that's bad.

Finally, it's interesting to note that there usually isn't one sole cause for most of these problems, but it's a host of issues that all need to be dealt with simultaneously. At least that's how it's been for me.

Decided it was time to go for a hike yesterday. Went two thirds of a mile, about two hundred feet of elevation gain and then coming down, which was the real challenge. Mission accomplished without damaging anything, but I almost had a panic attack before starting up that trail. It was really weird. Like on-sighting a hard trad climb--that level of anxiety. Holy shit my leg is tired today. Good thing the derby was on so I could just veg out in the recliner.

On the one hand it was shocking to fully grasp how weak the leg is, even after all the PT. On the other hand I guess it's a start.

Tomorrow will be 5 weeks post op. My knee feels really good, and I ditched the brace. First 3.5 weeks my back was so fucked up that even though my knee felt ok, I was really not doing well. No sleep, and a dull pain in my groin from the back. I assume it was from my gait. At the end of week two I tore some of the graft-site scar-tissue (bending over to pick something up with the brace on and fully locked) and that hurt like a motherfucker for about a week. A setback I could have done without.

My brace was unlocked at 3 weeks, fully unlocked at 4 weeks and i have 130 flex, can fully extend, and have good quad control despite my legs losing muscle mass. I finally feel like a human again, and don't need any medication for pain other than a tylenol or motrin at night after a long day.

I drove to vermont for beer and the almost 6 hours in the car round trip wasn't so awesome, but I got to try the Alchemist Focal Banger, and came home with a case of Heady Topper, 12 Lawsons Sip of Sunshines, 4 -Tribute IPA (14th Star Brewery) and 4 14th Star Maple Breakfast Stout. So the discomfort was worth it.

I know I'm not healed and I need to protect the graft, but it feels good to rejoin the human race.

^
    Good to hear the progress is continuing, glad the tear was minor. Nice haul on the beer run, that will help dull any residual pain for sure! Focal is tough to find, just had my first one last week at the Taco and was definitely impressed. Put Bent Hill and Foley Bros. on your list for the next run and if you want to do a trade for some Trillium, Wormtown, Night Shift, Tree House etc. give me a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    ^
    Good to hear the progress is continuing, glad the tear was minor. Nice haul on the beer run, that will help dull any residual pain for sure! Focal is tough to find, just had my first one last week at the Taco and was definitely impressed. Put Bent Hill and Foley Bros. on your list for the next run and if you want to do a trade for some Trillium, Wormtown, Night Shift, Tree House etc. give me a shout.
    Thanks! Scored some Julius cans last night. Pretty happy about that.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    At the end of week two I tore some of the graft-site scar-tissue (bending over to pick something up with the brace on and fully locked) and that hurt like a motherfucker for about a week. A setback I could have done without.
    Was there bruising or swelling when you did that, or just pain?

Bruised and some swelling.

ACL reconstruction today.
    Got out of surgery around 10:30 this morning.
    It went much more easily than I expected.

Nerve block should wear off soonish.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Good luck...1st lil bit sucks but it's on the road to recovery now!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Five pound bag of frozen corn from Costco works great for icing, still using it after I exercise (ten weeks post op). My dad asked me if I'm going to eat it when I'm done and I was like nah, I don't think so. Too much history in that bag of corn.

^^^ thanks Montana.

@ yeahman, going with peas for now.

Post op checkup is at 2:15 today.
    I guess its normally three days after surgery, but the cutter will be out of town the rest of the week.

Post-Op went well.
    My brace is now able to bend between 0*-90* (my knee won't go that far yet).

First night was essentially sleepless; probably got a couple of hours.
    Last night I slept much better but did experience some moderate pain that required a bit of focused breathing.

Went from crutches the day of surgery to a cane yesterday (really a boken, but whatever).
    Now I can walk w/o the cane, but carry it with me just to be safe.

Will look into starting a PT regimen tomorrow.
    Last edited by pfluffenmeister; 05-13-2015 at 07:31 PM.

Got er dun this morning.

Had a stem cell/prp cocktail mixed in, doc marinated the graft before it went in and injected the solution in different spots. I'll get a better handle on that process after my post op visit. Wasn't exactly processing info too well when I saw him after.

^^^ right on. hammy graft?

first day of PT today.
    range of motion is already at desired 2 week goal of 0*-90* (actually i can go a bit more than 90*).
    i get the feeling that i will be rather sore tomorrow.

after surgery i was on one 325mg oxy every 4hrs.
    last two days reduced schedule to 1 every 6 hrs.
    today went to an as needed schedule.

Officially 8 weeks post op!, finally cleared for climbing. Full Rom in both knees, both knees are getting stronger everyday. It's great to get back to some of the things I love.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1432102954040.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	167327  

ACL class of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    ^^^ right on. hammy graft?
    Allograft, this was a revision of a 20yo patellar graft.

I have to stay non-weight bearing for two weeks due to tunnel from old graft/hardware removal being too close too the new tunnel. Kinda like too many mounts on one ski too close to each other, the epoxy needs to set.

I'm 50 fwiw.
    Last edited by ticketchecker; 05-20-2015 at 04:33 PM.

^^^ PSA - RECONSTRUCT YOUR OWN FUCKING ACL!

46 yr old here.

In case the ACL Class of 2015 hasn't seen my recent post. I've got a DonJoy Armor Knee brace with FourcePoint Hinge, left leg, size medium that I'm happy to give away (~$550 on Amazon). I used it after rehabbing my 2011 ACL/MCL injury. PM me if you're interested. I'm in the Eastern Sierra, so you can pick it up if you're in the area. If you want it mailed, we'll work out shipping costs. Good luck with your rehab!

^^^ turn upside down and use on right?

that's a nice move, those things are fucking expensive.

mtb? brace?

I completely tore my right ACL dropping a small cliff on Feb2 (yes I missed one of the most epic months the east has seen in a while). I had it repaired with my patellar tendon on March 31. Almost 10 weeks post op and all is well, life is getting back to normal, riding 40 minutes a day on my trainer (while watching walking dead), even a little bit of hiking. So a few questions, 1. My doc I said I can get on my mountain bike in July (14 weeks post op) and ride "mellow" single track. Is this too early? Is this around the same time that others have started mtb-ing again? 2.My doc said there is no scientific proof that a brace will prevent another tear. I only protects against forces too weak to cause a tear and most docs and patients just use one because it can't hurt. Any thoughts on this? My feelings are that if there is no evidence that it will help, then why wear one.

I wore a brace post rehab just because it made me feel better. Mental part is a pretty big part or it was for me. My wife is now 4 months out and has been cleared to run and bike mellow single track with flat pedals. She feels great and I'm having a hard time keeping her held back from doing more and more.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

As I'm sure you've surmised it's getting off the bike, planned or otherwise that's the issue. I'm three weeks down the rehab road and am resigned to hopefully riding singletrack this Fall. Maybe soft pedaling the road bike on flatish ground by end of August.

Two miles in ten minutes on the trainer is my game this week.

OK. So singletrack at 3 months does seem a bit on the early side. Hmmm. Yes, its the getting off (falling off) that's the scury part. Obviously falling is less likely on mellow singletrack but shit happens sometimes. Kind of hard not to give it a whirl though if the doc gives the OK and I'm feeling great. Crazy its only been 10 weeks.