Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Good luck!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

^^^ thanks.

X-rays look good.

Doc says that the right knee definitely has more motion within the joint than the uninjured left knee.
    Also, when immobilizing the upper leg and moving the pushing back the lower leg to check for motion w/i the joint, the left knee had a definite stopping point (at which point it almost made a click).
    The Doc said that click is your ACL stopping the movement.
    He went on to do the same thing with my right knee: more motion than the left, and no click.
    He thinks MCL level 1 (pain on inside of knee when squeezed); ACL level 2/3 (probably 3).

Awaiting an MRI.

On the plus side I do have full range of motion in my right leg.
    Although I still won't kneel on my right knee as I once did.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by lasereyes View Post
    So general conditioning will take a while also ...
    No doubt about that. I'm about five and a half weeks along and things have been going well but yesterday had a setback when suddenly started having shooting sharp pain up and down my leg from my ankle to my ass. Could hardly weight the leg. Went to PT this morning and she said probably sciatic nerve pain, so she worked me good and loosened it up a little (digging her elbow into the nerve) and then applied a few strips of tape to the knee as a very mild "brace" (although it's amazing how much it helps). She said it'll take two or three days for pain to fully go away so I'm laying off the exercises until then, except no-resistance spinning on the bike.

Also seeing my chiropractor tomorrow because he often adjusts my hips to relieve sciatic pressure. I suspect I'm pretty out of whack from all the compensating you do when walking on a compromised knee.

I'm not even sure how good regular walking is for you as exercise until you really start to build the muscle mass back. Could be it wears on joints in a funny way.

Anyway, PT didn't think it was a big deal, she said everybody has setbacks during rehab.

Started PT today. Good flexibility, no real pain.

My back on the other hand, from limping, crutches, the nerve block, whatever it is, is pretty uncomfortable. I've had sciatica but control it with exercise, inversion, hot tub, but I feel like I've been kicked in the balls for almost 2 weeks and it's pretty demoralizing. I'm out of Percocet and they really dont want to write more.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post

My back on the other hand, from limping, crutches, the nerve block, whatever it is, is pretty uncomfortable. I've had sciatica but control it with exercise, inversion, hot tub, but I feel like I've been kicked in the balls for almost 2 weeks and it's pretty demoralizing. I'm out of Percocet and they really dont want to write more.
    Vibes J, sorry to read this and hope the recovery is quick and full! Beers on me next time you are up this way...bring some wormtown please! Was down your way for a bball tourny for our kid a few weeks ago and searched high/low but couldn't find any of that or night shift.

Have you considered acupuncture? My dad had pretty bad back issues a few years back and acupuncture was the only thing that worked. He said his back felt 20 years younger.He still has an issue now and then but occasional "tune up" appointments help.

vibes on the recovery

Thanks.

I have had acupuncture and it made me feel light, in the wallet. My brother swears by it but my results weren't good.

Doc looked at MRI results:

Torn ACL (not sure if it's 2 or 3).
    Tear in Lateral Meniscus (not sure how bad).

I will speak with him next Thursday to examine options (does it always take ~2 weeks to see a damn doctor?).

That sucks Pfluff....vibes

My wife is past her ROM issues and progressing well. 3 months out and can ride a road bike outside with flat pedals and no hills. She's hoping to get hill riding clearance next week and fire road dirt (flat pedals) in May.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Thanks.

I have had acupuncture and it made me feel light, in the wallet. My brother swears by it but my results weren't good.
    Chiropractor practicing the Blair Technique cures all my back issues. That's kind of a personal thing though, everybody is different.

But be prepared for everything being thrown out of whack. My post-op issues haven't been with my knee but with muscles being tight, knotted, all f'd up, causing nerve pain, weird stresses on muscles and tendons leading into the knees, etc. Like yesterday my PT said my kneecap was healing a little off to the side, so he reefed on it to loosen it up, then taped it in place. So today all the muscles feel really weird because the kneecap is in a different spot.

My best friend right now is a rolling pin. I've been using it (on advice of PT) to loosen up all the fascia surrounding the leg muscles because it was pulling and causing the muscles to not fire correctly. Also works for the knots in the muscles. You really have to work hard with the rolling pin and it's not pleasant, but it's really been helping me so far. Other than those issues the knee feels strong six weeks after surgery.

The setbacks are demoralizing, no doubt. Today I took the whole day off work just to work on rehab at home, then went down to the tap room for a few brews. That helped.

I had some back pain that wasn't quite as bad as you describe, but I could still tell I was out of wack and muscles were spazzing. I went and got a 60 min massage that focused on my lower back and hips and that helped relax and stretch things out.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Doc looked at MRI results:

Torn ACL (not sure if it's 2 or 3).
    Tear in Lateral Meniscus (not sure how bad).

I will speak with him next Thursday to examine options (does it always take ~2 weeks to see a damn doctor?).
    Sorry to hear. Feel better

Before and after meniscus
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429191842.062791.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	166244

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429191872.308623.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	166245

After ACL

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429191908.977372.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	166246

I am absolutely getting a massage soon. Also going to consider a chiropractor. I'm not familiar with the technique you mentioned but I'll look it up. Appreciate you sharing your experiences.

The PT helped with the back yesterday. More Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    That sucks Pfluff....vibes
    Thanks.
    I feel like an idiot.
    I suppose once I'm anointed by the blade, I'll be a true skier.

After ACL

Thank you.
    Nice pics.
    What kind of graft did they use for your ACL?

Hamstring. Tripled it up.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    But be prepared for everything being thrown out of whack. My post-op issues haven't been with my knee but with muscles being tight, knotted, all f'd up, causing nerve pain, weird stresses on muscles and tendons leading into the knees, etc. Like yesterday my PT said my kneecap was healing a little off to the side, so he reefed on it to loosen it up, then taped it in place. So today all the muscles feel really weird because the kneecap is in a different spot.

My best friend right now is a rolling pin. I've been using it (on advice of PT) to loosen up all the fascia surrounding the leg muscles because it was pulling and causing the muscles to not fire correctly. Also works for the knots in the muscles. You really have to work hard with the rolling pin and it's not pleasant, but it's really been helping me so far. Other than those issues the knee feels strong six weeks after surgery.

The setbacks are demoralizing, no doubt. Today I took the whole day off work just to work on rehab at home, then went down to the tap room for a few brews. That helped.
    ACL Class of '14 here... I'm 7 months post-op and I'm still out of whack. Over the course of my recovery, I've battled a tight piriformis, tight hip flexor, tight IT band and a tight popliteus. I still get knots in various muscles in my leg and I've lately been battling patellofemoral pain due to an imbalance in my quads. My PT has me focusing on strengthening my VMO to get the knee cap in alignment.

The foam roller has been my "best friend" (it's a love/hate relationship) but sometimes it's either too much pressure on the knots or not enough (I can't seem to get good leverage to roll out my calf). So, I'm curious about the rolling pin you've mentioned. Are you using a regular kitchen rolling pin or one of those massage specific sticks?
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    ACL Class of '14 here... I'm 7 months post-op and I'm still out of whack. Over the course of my recovery, I've battled a tight piriformis, tight hip flexor, tight IT band and a tight popliteus. I still get knots in various muscles in my leg and I've lately been battling patellofemoral pain due to an imbalance in my quads. My PT has me focusing on strengthening my VMO to get the knee cap in alignment.

The foam roller has been my "best friend" (it's a love/hate relationship) but sometimes it's either too much pressure on the knots or not enough (I can't seem to get good leverage to roll out my calf). So, I'm curious about the rolling pin you've mentioned. Are you using a regular kitchen rolling pin or one of those massage specific sticks?
    I'm using a regular kitchen rolling pin. PT said it works fine, and it's easier to manipulate than the foam rollers cuz it has handles.

You might try ART if you have a chiropractor nearby who practices that (Active Relieve Technique). Today I was still having funky, shooting nerve pain in my leg (not the knee), and also knotted muscles etc. Went to my chiro who has recently been trained in ART. He pushed super deep and hard on the multiple "nerve entrapment" areas of the leg, and while he does it he moves the leg and stretches the actual muscle fibers. It hurts like hell but I walked out of his office feeling like I was walking on air. Amazing--haven't had a twinge of pain all afternoon. We'll see how it does over the weekend. Got another appt. with him on Monday to have him do it again for good measure. Check out this link about Peyton Manning and his neck injury and how they treated him with ART--Doc Leahy is the guy who invented it.

http://www.pureprecisionchiro.com/pe...se-techniques/

Wife was cleared to run on flat ground! She's an über runner so she's stoked!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

^^^ nice.

My surgery is schedule for 5/11.
    ACL reconstruction with hamstring graft.

Bored enough to be looking forward to PT.

PT 3 weeks post op.

Best wishes to everyone on their ACL summer recovery, and hoping to see you snow in 2016!

Scheduled for May 15, revision of 20 year old rebuild. Other knee has seen two also.

The wheel is turning.....

If the thunder don't get ya then the lightning will. Good luck tc.

After ACL

I am absolutely getting a massage soon. Also going to consider a chiropractor. I'm not familiar with the technique you mentioned but I'll look it up. Appreciate you sharing your experiences.

The PT helped with the back yesterday. More Saturday.
    If you are around Boston or north of it for something, the guys at Movement as Medicine are worth the stop. They are by far the most knowledgeable, helpful, and best masseuse ' I have ever seen. It's kinda like seeing a PT /massage therapist combo.

PT figured out my patella was not moving properly up and down. She worked it loose (could hear the pop-pop of unwanted attachment points as she did so). Feels 100% better so far, shooting pain is gone for the time being, able to do the wall sits, lunges, step-ups, etc., that were causing me so much misery for the past couple weeks. HUGE relief.

ACL class of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    PT figured out my patella was not moving properly up and down. She worked it loose (could hear the pop-pop of unwanted attachment points as she did so). Feels 100% better so far, shooting pain is gone for the time being, able to do the wall sits, lunges, step-ups, etc., that were causing me so much misery for the past couple weeks. HUGE relief.
    Can you give more details around what the PT did? I'm getting quite a bit of cracking/catching when releasing my leg from a full extension (like after doing a quad set, but then flexing my knee). I'm 7 months post-op and this is starting to grind on me (no pun intended).
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.