Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

That's a lot of cheap shit

Look at the size of this thing: the world's largest container ship.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/-terrifyin...3.html#TQnk4nn

The CSCL Globe - the world's largest container ship at a whopping 1312ft - arrived in the UK for the first time today.

Fully laden, it is said that the vessel could carry up to 156 million pairs of shoes, 300m iPads or 900 million tins of food.

It set off from Qingdao, a city on the Shangdong province of China, in early December last year and was built by Hyundai Heavy Industries in South Korea.

It is the first of five mega ships to be built for the group.

People watch the world's biggest container ship arrive into port of Felixstowe, Suffolk. (Rex)

Enormous: The container ship arrived in the UK at around 1pm on Wednesday. (Rex)Enormous: The container ship arrived in the UK at around 1pm on Wednesday. (Rex)

Unit: A nearby ship shows the huge scale of the container vessel. (Rex)Unit: A nearby ship shows the huge scale of the container vessel. (Rex)

Clemence Cheng, the CEO of the Port of Felixstow said most of the cargo would be destined for UK high streets and the cargo contains everything from car parts to washing machines and even three lifeboats.

A crowd of around 100 gathered on the Quayside of the Port of Felixtone at 1pm today to watch its arrival.

One onlooker said: ‘It looked awesome. I was expecting it to be big but I was still shocked because it totally surpassed what I had imagined.’

‘In fact it looked terrifying. Monster ship is probably the best description because it really is very intimidating.’

The 'Monster of the Sea' container ship is the size of four football pitches. (Rex)
    I guess this puts a very small bit of the Chinese product machine into perspective.
    I still call it The Jake.

Booooo it's not wartsila powered.

Also I'm surprised it went to a port on that side of England. I thought the really large boats aren't allowed through the English channel because their turn radius is too large.

I hate shipping containers.

There aren't as many around here with the dock stoppage. It's crazy to see the port loading area so empty

Should put that thing on I-70.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

dont get it twisted. its actually an aircraft carrier in disguise.

That thing is amazing.
    What's this about the dock stoppage? Unions been on strike? Like in the Bon Jovi song?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I'd love to see a video of modeling of this ship in rough seas. Fully loaded of course.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    That thing is amazing.
    What's this about the dock stoppage? Unions been on strike? Like in the Bon Jovi song?
    http://www.joc.com/port-news/us-port..._20141105.html

Fucking buoyancy, how does it work?

ETA: And I mean that as in it boggles my mind that something that massive and heavy doesn't just sink like a rock.
    Last edited by Plainview; 01-09-2015 at 02:30 AM.

They have a slightly smaller one (1302') running from CA. to China, 4 days to make the trip at 31 kts., Walmart Has gotten so good at shipping they no longer stock any products in warehouses , they go straight from the ship to train, to the stores. The sad thing is they return to China empty.

My second wealthiest friend's dad has been a shipping broker for years. He now owns 3 of those and rents them out. My buddy has been a shipping broker for 5 years now. He's not quite there yet. Downside is that he pretty much can only work in Singapore or London. Rough life.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    My second wealthiest friend's dad has been a shipping broker for years. He now owns 3 of those and rents them out. My buddy has been a shipping broker for 5 years now. He's not quite there yet. Downside is that he pretty much can only work in Singapore or London. Rough life.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Dîner_de_Cons_(film)

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    They have a slightly smaller one (1302') running from CA. to China, 4 days to make the trip at 31 kts., Walmart Has gotten so good at shipping they no longer stock any products in warehouses , they go straight from the ship to train, to the stores. The sad thing is they return to China empty.

Unless walmart had closed their distribution centers in the last 10 years this is untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainview View Post
    http://www.joc.com/port-news/us-port..._20141105.html

Fucking buoyancy, how does it work?

ETA: And I mean that as in it boggles my mind that something that massive and heavy doesn't just sink like a rock.
    come on, things less dense than water float. That's why salt water is more buoyant... it's denser. You know this...

Yeah, we all know why planes take off from treadmills, too... doesn't mean it's not impressive every time you see a 737 take off. It's just kindofan incredible thing, ya know?
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Planes don't take off from treadmills.

(pulls pin and backs away)

Quote Originally Posted by sal the salmon View Post
    dont get it twisted. its actually an aircraft carrier in disguise.
    if only they knew they Chinese have IMDF powers... the number of aircraft and fighter pilots on that big vessel is in the millions.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Unless walmart had closed their distribution centers in the last 10 years this is untrue.
    A distribution center isn't a warehouse, Things come in and go right out of a distribution center, not left in stock and warehoused,
    Cargo ships of this size are something new, only being built in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    You're both right. Walmart still has distribution centers, but they also have operations that pack everything a store in Billings needs and it goes from ship > truck > store with everything that store needs.

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    guroo270 Uncle Ricoing yet another thread.

That's a lot of cheap shit

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    A distribution center isn't a warehouse.
    You're warehouse/DC manager rolls his eyes a lot doesn't he?

That many containers sends shivers down my spine.

I, for one, can't wait for the Fail Boat edition of this thing!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Too wide for the Panama Canal and too tall for all US ports. Crazy big ship...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    guroo270 Uncle Ricoing yet another thread.
    For clarification I meant shipping ships, not the colossus actually seen here.

Hot damn. Would be curious to hear how many feet the full sinks fully loaded vs. empty. Looks like at least 40 feet on that Maersk boat.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.