Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I'm a bit disappointed that the video didn't end with a local hearing the commotion from the deck of GR and putting the guy in a headlock. He probably could've walked into the sales office and accomplished the same thing using a normal tone of voice and reasoning. I guess it is possible he has a VOICE IMMODULATION condition though.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1420503025033.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	869.5 KB 
ID:	162286  
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

And the douche of the year is....
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by wag View Post
    Even better it was 3pm!
    They don't have night skiing there? What a rip.

Gaper at Bridger flips his shit

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    In-bounds beacon policy at Bridger is great. It's a psychological thing mostly, when you go by the beacon-checker it sets you up mentally that you are going in terrain where you have to pay attention. There are so many nooks and crannys on The Ridge, it's impossible for patrol to safely control everything. Amazingly though, they do a great a job at it, better than resorts like Snowbird for example. It eliminates a lot of people, so more tracks for me. Also, there are no 'cliff' warning signs so route finding is key. They used to require a partner too, I think they got rid of that???

Also, having a beacon test at the bottom of the Shlasmann lift prevents gapers from getting anywhere near the boundary line and getting lost out-of-bounds and really getting in a tight spot. You can argue it's not necessary, but once you ski there and see how the place works, it's hard to not enjoy the experience the policy creates.
    This. Any mag who wants to bitch about the policy is an idiot. Mags always complain about how crowded it can be inbounds. This policy keeps people OUT of there who would otherwise ski YOUR untracked lines, get hurt in the process requiring patrol resources and make the lift lines longer. Lack of a policy makes selfish mags lose.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    And it just went up again the other day, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Ha. This was at 3pm. Over 52$!

This guy has balls though...yelling at a lady in a booth cause yer a noob...takes ego and balls
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    This. Any mag who wants to bitch about the policy is an idiot. Mags always complain about how crowded it can be inbounds. This policy keeps people OUT of there who would otherwise ski YOUR untracked lines, get hurt in the process requiring patrol resources and make the lift lines longer. Lack of a policy makes selfish mags lose.
    sorry, i'll try one more time then stfu... And i haven't skied Bridger in a couple/three decades, so should just go ski there and see for myself.

But is there really INBOUNDS terrain off that lift that is high hazard, even after control work? If so, then I get it, but like some have said requiring only a beacon without a probe and shovel is like having a really good lighter but no bowl or weed.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    sorry, i'll try one more time then stfu... And i haven't skied Bridger in a couple/three decades, so should just go ski there and see for myself.

But is there really INBOUNDS terrain off that lift that is high hazard, even after control work? If so, then I get it, but like some have said requiring only a beacon without a probe and shovel is like having a really good lighter but no bowl or weed.
    The beacon is so they don't have to work so hard to find your body. So it's like having a lighter, in case patrol runs out of flame and needs yours to light THEIR bowl.

guy got his money back. I flipped my shit a few weeks ago at the GM dealer. Wanted $57 to tell me what I already knew was wrong with my vehicle than tell me they couldn't fix it for at least two weeks at twice the cost estimate. I had to pay.
    off your knees Louie

In-bounds beacon policy at Bridger is great. It's a psychological thing mostly, when you go by the beacon-checker it sets you up mentally that you are going in terrain where you have to pay attention. There are so many nooks and crannys on The Ridge, it's impossible for patrol to safely control everything. Amazingly though, they do a great a job at it, better than resorts like Snowbird for example. It eliminates a lot of people, so more tracks for me. Also, there are no 'cliff' warning signs so route finding is key. They used to require a partner too, I think they got rid of that???

Also, having a beacon test at the bottom of the Shlasmann lift prevents gapers from getting anywhere near the boundary line and getting lost out-of-bounds and really getting in a tight spot. You can argue it's not necessary, but once you ski there and see how the place works, it's hard to not enjoy the experience the policy creates.
    Does the gate keep you out if you don't have a transciever?
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Dick

Gaper at Bridger flips his shit

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Does the gate keep you out if you don't have a transciever?
    No gate, the lifty doesn't let you on if you don't beep. Then you're hiking back.

He shoulda remembered his fanny pack...

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    No gate, the lifty doesn't let you on if you don't beep. Then you're hiking back.

Awesome.

Looks like a fun place to ski.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    I'm curious... How rowdy is Schlasman's, really? Is the beacon really required frequently or does it mostly amount to limiting the number of retards that go there? When it's gotten skied out, to they lift the beacon requirement? I've seen some youtube videos - seems like a pretty normal area. Getting cliffed out isn't exactly unusual in steep terrain.

I'm reminded of the sign at the beginning of the catwalk above Gauthier at abasin... Something about "Rescuing you from here will take a long time", which seems like it's intended to be intimidating... Until you see how long it takes to pull somebody out of there!
    I skied there back in '04 or '05 with Baseweldr and another mag from Missoula. It was my last day after 3 days of hiking, sidestepping some of the better side country terrain at Bridger. The hike was a beast, the lift was closed, except for patrol, and it was a pretty large pucker factor. I was in pretty good shape at the time, and I was out of my league. Baseweldr and the other mag knew the area really well. I don't scare very easily on skis, but I was gripped most of the way down. If I was more familiar with the area, I think it would be an awesome playground. That time though, I was not prepared.

Just a sea level Jong's perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post

High hazard after control work? Of course not, that would be shitty control work. But I and many others have got caught in small slides in-bounds. It's a possibility but not a high possibility. I did have one friend die in a slide at bridger years ago, but that was not even in an area where beacons were required. luckily he had one on though or we would have found him in the spring

As for the beacon requirement, read my previous post. You are not quite getting the point.

A bigger slide at Bridger AFTER control work:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridger-bowl-avalanche.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	162313  

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    What makes you think someone who owns a beacon is any better then a renter? If they don't have a shovel or probe it's kinda pointless to have a beacon and a bitch slap would be a good start
    Makes you easier to find tho, don't it. Not sure how a shovel and probe help that... No different than Reccos in ski gear, but pinging is probably better than those.

There are so many nooks and crannys on The Ridge, it's impossible for patrol to safely control everything. Amazingly though, they do a great a job at it, better than resorts like Snowbird for example.
    I know I'm a homer, but you base this on what, exactly? AFAIK what Muted mentions has happened once in the 20 years I've skied Snowbird, and that was very early in the season:

High hazard after control work? Of course not, that would be shitty control work. But I and many others have got caught in small slides in-bounds. It's a possibility but not a high possibility. I did have one friend die in a slide at bridger years ago, but that was not even in an area where beacons were required. luckily he had one on though or we would have found him in the spring

As for the beacon requirement, read my previous post. You are not quite getting the point.

A bigger slide at Bridger AFTER control work:

rental beacons, people beeping because they have to be....you know, having that whole part of the ski area swarming with non-probing, non-digging dudes all over the place in transmit mode isn't exactly going to help when shit goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I know I'm a homer, but you base this on what, exactly? AFAIK what Muted mentions has happened once in the 20 years I've skied Snowbird, and that was very early in the season
    Based on how many in-bound slides I've been in or set off at Snowbird, compared to Bridger which, sure, is smaller but much more complex. If I could guess why, I'd say Bridger patrol are better at closing things mid-day as snow is piling up and keep stuff closed an extra day for things to settle. After a few close calls at Snowbird, including hitting a tree at high speed in a small slide, I don't trust SB's opinion of what should be open as much as BB. Now I ski cut a ton of stuff at SB, another thing the patrol could do more of. Or maybe BB sets a really really high bar, I dunno.

I'm all for making things as scary and difficult to access as possible. It worked for many, many years with climbing until closely bolted sport climbs and lowering anchors became common place. Now the sport is a cluster fuck.

I actually wish Loveland would do this for the farthest gates and snowcat.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post

Fuck yeah
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    rental beacons, people beeping because they have to be....you know, having that whole part of the ski area swarming with non-probing, non-digging dudes all over the place in transmit mode isn't exactly going to help when shit goes down.
    Agreed. Only takes a couple of wandering gomers-with-rental-beacons to fuck up a search/rescue

My Hood Meadows requires beacon/shovel/probe/partner on the rare days they open Super Bowl. Even then, I can't recall anyone getting caught in a slide when it was open.

@Muted, does BBs policy just weed out the gomers, or does it weed out those incapable of self/partner rescue as well?

Not a local, but have skied at Bridger...

BB's beacon-required terrain isn't any rowdier than inbounds terrain in other places, but it's up there.

It's rowdier than anything open directly off the JHMR tram. JH has anything with mandatories (other than Corbets and S&S) marked with permanent closures unless it's hike-to. I haven't skied inbounds much in the hike-to areas, but it appears they are much more generous with closures or lack thereof in those zones. You can get legitimately cliffed out at BB off Schlasman's, you can't in JHMR's directly lift-served unless you ignore a closure.

It's no rowdier than things that are open inbounds at Crested Butte.

This is pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the beacon requirements are a product of USFS/BLM./whoever the landowner is restrictions rather than BB rules. From my understanding, this is the case at Silverton.

I always suspected BB's beacon requirements were more of a gaper exam than an avalanche danger exam.

Excuse me waiter, please return this entree to the chef. It is undercooked and fails to meet my high culinary standards.

In addition to Sunshine and Big Sky's beacon-only terrain, I believe that both Crystal and Baker have chosen days after heavy storms to open and require all users to carry beacons, probes and shovels.

This guy is the modern equivalent of the village idiot.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap