Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Culinary Question

What are the appropriate sides to a good Colorado green pork chile? I'm guessing cornbread Is historically accurate and has that sweet thing goin' on to fight the chiles. I don't want to hear about no salid shit. Beer, of course, covers a food group, sort of.

Culinary Question

Tortillas instead of cornbread....make sure to make enough for leftovers and huevos rancheros in the morning. Another good reason to also make refried beans as a side.

Realz men eat sweet taters or a lobster. Desert is a kush kake.
    watch out for snakes

A salad.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Deep fried artichoke hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    What are the appropriate sides to a good Colorado green pork chile? I'm guessing cornbread Is historically accurate and has that sweet thing goin' on to fight the chiles...
    You mean in addition to the tortillas?

I feel like homemade sweet potato fries would be good here.
    No longer stuck.

I like that. I just like saying sweet potato fries, too.

A happy meal would go with that.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Who the fuck eats "Colorado green pork chile?" That sounds like an abomination made for tourists.

If you decide you want to eat a good green chile stew made with new mexico green chiles, then you might serve it with sour cream, shredded cheese, tortillas, pinto beans, maybe some fry bread (if you want to go the extra mile).

If you want to make chile colorado (a sauce made with red chile but to which some folks add beef and still use the same name), you would serve that with or even in fry bread (tortillas in a pinch), and with spanish rice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    Who the fuck eats "Colorado green pork chile?" That sounds like an abomination made for tourists.

If you decide you want to eat a good green chile stew made with new mexico green chiles, then you might serve it with sour cream, shredded cheese, tortillas, pinto beans, maybe some fry bread (if you want to go the extra mile).

If you want to make chile colorado (a sauce made with red chile but to which some folks add beef and still use the same name), you would serve that with or even in fry bread (tortillas in a pinch), and with spanish rice.
    Exactly. Especially the cheese and sour cream in case the chile is too hot for some of the diners. Fat binds the capsacin in the chiles and cools the heat. We grow some Hatch chiles and not being good farmers the heat of the chiles we grow can be unpredictable--even chiles from the same plant. My wife also brings back chiles when she visits her godmother in Santa Fe and even those can be hard to predict. If you use Anaheims (same chile as the Hatch and other NM chiles but barely hot at all you should have no problem. I did buy some Hatch chiles at the Truckee Safeway last fall--haven't tried them yet.
    In New Mexico chile verde--green chile stew --is hot. Mexican chile verde, at least the kind you get in California, is milder than chile colorado, which in California does have pork or beef. All of which is to be distinguished from chili--which I will eat only because it's usually the cheapest lunch I can get at Dave's Deli.
    I would not make chile from green pork.

Culinary Question

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    What are the appropriate sides to a good Colorado green pork chile? I'm guessing cornbread Is historically accurate and has that sweet thing goin' on to fight the chiles. I don't want to hear about no salid shit. Beer, of course, covers a food group, sort of.
    I try never to eat green pork. At least scrape the green parts off. Try possum instead. Them's good eats.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Culinary Question

BTW....the green in chili verde usually comes from tomatillos, which is not a chile. Heat can come from red or green peppers

And chili v chile v chilli!!!! My brain hurts!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 01-04-2015 at 02:44 PM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I am not even sure what Colorado green Chile is. Chile Colorado is red chile, and chile Verde is green chile. Is this some sort of chile Verde made only in Colorado? If that is the case, the serve it with tofu in Boulder. If it is real chile verde, then black beans, rice and tortillas are all that is necessary, at least that is how real Mexicans would do it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Someone care to post a good green pork chili recipe? I could use a change from the usual.
    No longer stuck.

Developing a good chile recipe is critical to blending in out here...good work Benny.

Hunter, here is my "work in progress" chili, always evolving:

Adders:
    1 lb diced pork, 3 cloves garlic, 1 can tomatoes, 2 large onions, 1 box tortilla stock, 6 tablespoon flour, 2 bottles of beer (I prefer brown ale or a Fat Tire)

Peppers/Fruit:
    1 lb Hatch, 1.5 lb Anaheim, 1 lb Amarillo, 1 sorrento, 4 jalapeno, 2 tomatillos.

Carmelize onions, cook pork and garlic. Stir consistently as you add flour. Once done, add 1 beer, tomatos, peppers, stock and drink the other one. Simmer on low for ~3 hours and add water or a starch as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I am not even sure what Colorado green Chile is. Chile Colorado is red chile, and chile Verde is green chile. Is this some sort of chile Verde made only in Colorado? If that is the case, the serve it with tofu in Boulder. If it is real chile verde, then black beans, rice and tortillas are all that is necessary, at least that is how real Mexicans would do it.
    Colorado does have its own style of "pork green chili", which isn't Chili Colorado (and sure as fuck has nothing to do with tofu).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Corn, the right cheese and the properly cooked beef or chicken.

Cheese complements the spicy.

We like abodabo sauces.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

The next big thing is Bison ribs on fried bread.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Smokin' View Post
    Developing a good chile recipe is critical to blending in out here...good work Benny.

Hunter, here is my "work in progress" chili, always evolving:

Adders:
    1 lb diced pork, 3 cloves garlic, 1 can tomatoes, 2 large onions, 1 box tortilla stock, 6 tablespoon flour, 2 bottles of beer (I prefer brown ale or a Fat Tire)

Peppers/Fruit:
    1 lb Hatch, 1.5 lb Anaheim, 1 lb Amarillo, 1 sorrento, 4 jalapeno, 2 tomatillos.

Carmelize onions, cook pork and garlic. Stir consistently as you add flour. Once done, add 1 beer, tomatos, peppers, stock and drink the other one. Simmer on low for ~3 hours and add water or a starch as needed.
    Pretty similar to what I do with a few variances... I grill the pork on a charcoal grill to give it the flavor, use some homemade chicken stock instead of water, add hominy beans and only use hatch chilies and tomatillos.

May have to give this one a whirl...

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Colorado does have its own style of "pork green chili", which isn't Chili Colorado (and sure as fuck has nothing to do with tofu).
    c'mon Hugh, come back and respond to this.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    BTW....the green in chili verde usually comes from tomatillos, which is not a chile. Heat can come from red or green peppers

No, you are wrong. Perhaps in "suckramento" this is true. But in the Sonoran desert states (AZ, NM, So. UT, W. TX, and a narrow strip of So. CO that contains no Sonoran desert but does have people smart enough to know dam good food when they taste it) it most certainly is not.

Can you think of anyone more touristy than Benny?

I'm assuming this recipe dilemma is in regards to some kind of going away party he's throwing prior to his big CO adventure?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

No, you are wrong. Perhaps in "suckramento" this is true. But in the Sonoran desert states (AZ, NM, So. UT, W. TX, and a narrow strip of So. CO that contains no Sonoran desert but does have people smart enough to know dam good food when they taste it) it most certainly is not.
    Wait... what? Are we getting into the Posole/Pozole fight again? What happened to that thread anyway? Searched for it this morning because I had a PM from someone looking for the recipe I posted but no luck (he had searched too and couldn't find it).

Most of my green chili experience comes from Denver and Santa Fe so it's probably fairly limited in scope. I don't ever really recall having green chili in Santa Fe that contained tomatillos but it seems pretty common to include them here in Denver. I like the tartness that tomatillos bring to a green chili stew. But if I'm using the green chili more as a sauce or condiment then I kind of prefer it w/o the tomatillos.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.