Why are cheaper ski boots always wide?

I need to pick up some ski boots for my teenage son that needs new boots every year, so trying to stay cheap. Scouring the local classifieds for boots that will work and everything is wide, 102-103 last. He has a long narrow foot, can I take up room in width?

What size is he?

The same reason cheaper ski boots are almost always soft - they're targeting a price point conscious, beginner-to-intermediate skier who hasn't learned the value of a precise fit and doesn't know it's possible to modify a boot shell. Far fewer people complain about a 102mm boot hurting. It took boot manufacturers decades to discover that not all expert level skiers have a 97mm foot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    What size is he?
    27/27.5

I was going to craigs list my atomic hawx 90 size 27.5 (1.0's 2012's I think...) They have a 100 last. Happy to give you a deal on them. Should be about the same fit as the current model. Great shape less than 20 days on them. Let me know if interested

some Jr (medium to soft) race (narrow) boots go up to size 27

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjames11 View Post
    I was going to craigs list my atomic hawx 90 size 27.5 (1.0's 2012's I think...) They have a 100 last. Happy to give you a deal on them. Should be about the same fit as the current model. Great shape less than 20 days on them. Let me know if interested
    How much you thinking? Where are you located? I'm interested.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    raichle flexons are pretty cheap used and are real narrow plus come in skittle colors.
    that's exactly what I was thinking.
    http://eastidaho.craigslist.org/spo/4795073260.html

Never mind. He picked up some brand new dalbellos pretty cheap. 103 last but I guess we'll deal with it.

because wide is comfortable and only JONGs ski with low end boots and so it doesnt matter if they dont perform good, if you really cared about your son you would take him to a bootfitter... because the most important thing for ski gear is to get boots that actually fit at a bootfitter and get them heat molded. so if you care about your son then that is what you will do

Quote Originally Posted by gnarhucker View Post
    because wide is comfortable and only JONGs ski with low end boots and so it doesnt matter if they dont perform good, if you really cared about your son you would take him to a bootfitter... because the most important thing for ski gear is to get boots that actually fit at a bootfitter and get them heat molded. so if you care about your son then that is what you will do

Fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Fuck off.
    i just gave good advice

Quote Originally Posted by gnarhucker View Post
    i just gave good advice
    And I just told you to fuck off. If you want to drop a grand on boots for your kid every season, be my guest. It'll really show them that you care.