Knee pain years after surgery, what to do?

Blew my ACL a few seasons ago, had a straight-forward procedure. It took many more months than normal for it to feel better, as in off-groomer stuff was super painful. The doc didn't know why. My theory is scar tissue formed extremely quickly after surgery, and it took awhile for it to break up, get a range of motion (that took forever too) and feel good again. Eventually I was back to 99% with no knee pain. Not any more.

Now it hurts again skiing, and running. Walking up the stairs can hurt too. I wince the first few steps running, then power through and since it feels stable, I can run as long as I want to since it subsides to a minor pain. It's always felt stable. I thought running a bunch and skiing a bunch would loosen it up and eventually it would go back to normal, but if I take 5 days off it's back again strong as ever...eventually feeling 'OK' as I take more laps or run for awhile. But crud skiing can really hurt and is making me a cautious skier as I'm afraid/waiting for a quick burst of pain.

Anyone had something similar, and what did you do to alleviate it or make it go away? I'm wondering if a nice tomahawk fall will loosen that baby up but I don't like tomahawking for other reasons. Or this just normal ACL stuff for a lot of people?

I would find a new Dr, no reason not to know what is wrong. It could be arthritis but trying to "loosen it up" with a tomahawk fall as you call it seems a little extreme. I assume you have gone the NSAID's route? If no get the Ibuprofen out and start taking four three times per day for a week if you tolerate Ibuprofen. If it gets better after three or four days you have inflammation which could be several things. Most ACl injuries include meniscus or MCl tears also. Did you have other injuries besides the ACL?

My wife had a similar problem. Acl reconstruction, then scar tissue would furn within hours.
    Lucky for her, her doctor did not rest until she was 100% back.
    Three operations to clean the scar tissue, and finaly the right combination of drugs to prevent inflammation.

Key is the right doctor.

I get the pain off piste and from running but it's due to my meniscus.

Its also possible to get scar tissue in your muscles (adhesions) after a major surgery. Google 'arthrogenic muscle inhibition'. Won't show up on any scans but the muscles will feel different. An experienced PT or massage therapist could tell very quickly.

Thanks guys. I'll report back when I get some new info.

tomahawk fall was a joke, although it may help.

I have recently went through the same pain after surgery but one of my friend suggested me to show Orthopedic practice Long Island surgeon who really helped me to overcome my pain.

I have forgotten to reply to this thread, but the pain went almost completely away after one long day of skinning. The problem isn't solved though, as I can feel it come back after being very dehydrated (too many IPAs after skiing), but skiing/running/etc is not constantly painful anymore thank god. Or at least for now.