Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cheaper used Class B/Camper Vans?

So I need a company vehicle to run a bunch of parking lot demo days in. Ideally its something I can sleep in and it can hold an ez up and collateral. Class B or camper Van type so its not to big to drive some dirt roads to the water.

We'd prefer to buy over lease so that we can wrap the thing. Though demos will run April-June so it might make more sense to lease.

My budget is 10-15k.

I'd prefer it be consistent with the high end company that it will be for ie not a 70's rape van... But on this budget I'm starting to have my doubts.

Thoughts on the best bang for my buck for these needs?

Highly recommend Sprinter vans. I bought mine for 10k and put 5k into it. You'd have to put some work into it but you can tailor it to your exact needs which is a bonus

http://hutchski.com/bumblebeast/

Quote Originally Posted by Hutchski View Post
    Highly recommend Sprinter vans. I bought mine for 10k and put 5k into it. You'd have to put some work into it but you can tailor it to your exact needs which is a bonus

http://hutchski.com/bumblebeast/
    Was that a crotch shot of powdork?
    picador

Thanks Hutch, where'd you find the sprinter for that price if you don't mind me askin.

By owner on Craigslist

How bout a conversion van? They usually have a bench in the back that folds into a bed and the windows have curtains. Just throw a ceramic heater and a cassette toilet in there and you're set. A full on class b under $15k will be rough and those things are so crammed with rv amenities you won't have any space for your gear.

I'd prefer it be consistent with the high end company that it will be for ie not a 70's rape van
    gonna be tough with your budget. I've been shopping around a bit to replace our rape van (1990 e350 econoline conversion). I've seen some older 2wd sportsmobiles for around 20k, 4wd is usually double that. a sprinter would be an awesome option and i'm keeping my eye out for one of those too but I'm not super handy and you're basically starting with an empty van with one of those, unless you got luck and found one that someone had already setup for RV use. seems like the sprinters in that price range are also very heavily used with a ton of miles.

you might also want to consider VW Eurovans as long as you don't need to tow with it.

maybe something like this?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...20van&ad_cid=2

Here is a link to a van my brother just told me about.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1032904

Hutchski's project is pretty cool, and this has the same potential.

edit to add the post without registering...

FS:2004 Mercedes Benz 2500 Sprinter Van / Tucson AZ
    FOR SALE: 2004 Mercedes Benz 2500 Sprinter Van
    2.7L Turbo Diesel Engine
    140WB
    Hi-Top Roof Passenger Van
    2.7 Turbo Diesel
    5 Door
    Only 120k MILES
    23 MPG
    Color White / 2-10 Passenger Seating / Rear AC / LCD TV /Power converter / Alloy Wheels on Michelin LTX tires with less then 10k on them /Just Serviced Oil and filter / transmission service / Belts and Pulleys Pulleys/ Brakes are good / New wipers /Spare service parts / Rear window Curtain's / Van is in excellent shape inside and out and runs perfect. Mechanic Owned/ Always maintained and parts are easy to get and a easy to service vehicle.
    TRADES?? The only trade/cash deal I would consider is a 2005-2007 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Ram 5.9l Diesel / 4x4 /loaded / short bed / under 150K miles and in excellent condition. Please don't ask about any other trades I am not interested.
    $15900.00 / NO LOW BALLERS PLEASE!!!!
    Note 3rd and 4th row bench seats not in photos, I do have them and they look the same as the 2nd row seat in photos.
    Van is located in Tucson AZ
    Ride here load up head on
    Please contact Frank @ 520-907-6904
    or
    email] zmoto950@gmail.com[/email] for more info and Pics

link to pics

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/46649534_qvkGVz

Cheers,

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    you might also want to consider VW Eurovans as long as you don't need to tow with it.

maybe something like this?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...20van&ad_cid=2
    Yah I actually like Eurovans quite a bit. Don't need to tow. Needs to fit an easy up, small folding table, 30 or so rods/reels, a keg, me and the dog. Anything between that and a sprinter seems ideal. I'm not super handy either and it needs to be ready to roll by April so I'm not super confident in finding a cheap used sprinter shell and building it out.

That KSL listing is pretty sweet, if 5k cheaper I'd be on it asap.

Nice find Hutash, looks like a pretty damn good deal.

Might be worth low balling him, it's been on there for months. I'd be half interested but I'm hoping to find something with heat. And maybe 4wd.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Yah I actually like Eurovans quite a bit. Don't need to tow. Needs to fit an easy up, small folding table, 30 or so rods/reels, a keg, me and the dog. Anything between that and a sprinter seems ideal. I'm not super handy either and it needs to be ready to roll by April so I'm not super confident in finding a cheap used sprinter shell and building it out.
    Neither Hutchski nor I would be considered handy and we had no problems with anything except the electrical innards so we hired a buddy for that. Getting it ready to roll by April might be tough though, especially if you're in a snowy region without a garage tall enough for the high roof. OTOH it doesn't sound like you want to do as much as she did and if you're starting with a passenger shell instead of a DHL delivery van much of the work is already done. 120k miles is not much at all for that engine. We saw more than a few for sale with over 400k miles.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

You might also want to keep on eye on the classifeds at http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/

You might find and older 2WD SMB or home grown conversion in your price range. They also post up craigslist ads seen out there. Sprinter will probably get you the best ride quality, interior space, and non-creepy looks in that price range tho if you don't need 4WD or towing. You can actually have a simple conversion done for not that much.

Since this is a short term use, a used Sprinter and some quick conversion options might be the trick. Buy an empty van, bolt in some cheap Ikea cabinets, through a mattress on the floor, a Coleman stove, an electric ice chest, and you have a camper van for next to nothing. The best thing about Sprinter vans is the head room, no tops to put up, so good gorilla camping options.

edit: Add a Buddy Heater or similar if you want/need the warmth. All can easily be done for well under a grand.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Love the space in Sprinters, but after talking to several owners I've crossed them off the list of future rigs. Not reliable, and being Mercedes they're super expensive to maintain. (A diesel injection pump is $1k.) Will be nice when the new Nissan high top vans start becoming available used, & I've heard rumors that Toyota might bring the HiAce to the US.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 01-03-2015 at 02:49 PM.

I would disagree that they are unreliable but they are expensive to fix. A diesel fuel pump is nowhere near $5k however.

Ooops, my mistake, a new injection pump is around $1k (rebuilt is about $640). Buddy of mine bought one brand-new from Sportsmoble and used it for his pro DH mtb racing circuit for a few years, said he'd never buy one again.

I could see feeling differently if we (really it's just she) had paid what it costs for a new sportsmobile version. That had to be in the 70k range depending on how long ago it was.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

if that girl with the yellow van wasnt in me dreams then i dont know what is.

What about a 1 ton pickup you could wrap and then a slide in camper in the back? Might not be exactly what you are looking for but would fit your budget. Old slide ins can be had cheap (cheaper than outfitting a van) and they usually have a holding tank for water, fridge, water heater and cabin heater plus power if there's access to an outlet.

It's still around. Not sure what to do with it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Do it.

No Brainer.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by sal the salmon View Post
    if that girl with the yellow van wasnt in me dreams then i dont know what is.
    dude! don't make me send the dream police after you

I have talked to a bunch of MB sprinter owners, and they all love them, and most were bought used with high milage. It is like many vehicles, you love them until you have problems, but the MB engine is good for many 100 of thousands of miles.

I dream about the all wheel drive version arriving this year.

iscariot