Scarpa Alien mods?

Has anyone removed the plastic snow guard flap things off the newer plastic alien?

I get that Scarpa added them to make the boot a more snow proof and therefore more versatile fast and light touring boot but I feel like it impedes the freedom of movement quite a bit and want to get my boot back to the original generation poor mans rando race boot.

Wondering if better to drill out the rivets and presumably leave holes or just cut the plastic above the shell? Did you find it necessary to remove upper cuff to get better access or not?
    Last edited by dcpnz; 01-06-2015 at 03:59 PM.

I just trimmed mine a bit around the front of the ankle. Basically matched the contours of the cuff. This keeps the snow-proofness in the rear where you need it most. I thought it improved the fit of the boot because there was better contact with the tongue/boa. Now I have 1.0s, so no guard.

FWIW if anyone else contemplating this I drilled out the rivets and removed the plastic flaps. Range of motion is soooo much better! I'd guesstimate 90% as good as the carbon alien 1.0 - same range just cuff pivots not as smooth.