Look Pivot 12 vs Marker Jester

I've got a decent deal on a 2013/14 Marker Jester for $229. I could also just buy a Look Pivot 12 for $249. (It's December so no off-season deals.) I'm going to mount them on the 2013/14 Blizzard Cochise at 9.5 DIN. The Pivot has a max DIN of 12. The Jester goes up to 16. But, seriously at 9.5 DIN, is there any reason not to go with the Pivot? I really don't care about the $30 or the extra weight. The Pivots seem to be a superior binding. I love my boots so I'm good with minimal adjustments on the heel. I plan to use the bindings for several seasons so the durability of Pivot is a significant plus. My ego struggles with a 12 DIN binding... but from what I can tell, the Look Pivot 12 is just as durable and high performance as the pivot 14 and 18. Let me know what you think - thx!

I'm in the exact same boat. I searched and there are several threads on look pivots and Rossi fks , & for some reason almost all of tgr dislikes Marker bindings. I have never owned a pivot binding, but the elasticity factor is very appealing to me, especially with somewhat aging knees... I have owned several different marker bindings and have never had any issues. So, also interested in hearing others opinions on this matter.

I've never personally had issues with Marker bindings but after working in a shop for a few years, 99% of the broken bindings I saw were Markers (including recent years) so I can't see myself ever buying any. I love my 14 din FKS and if the 12's have the same construction I would go for it. The 18's have a metal toe so they are a bit more burly than the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    Texas is better than Hell? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Hell, but it would be hard to imagine it being worse than Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by bayareaskier View Post
    I've got a decent deal on a 2013/14 Marker Jester for $229. I could also just buy a Look Pivot 12 for $249. (It's December so no off-season deals.) I'm going to mount them on the 2013/14 Blizzard Cochise at 9.5 DIN. The Pivot has a max DIN of 12. The Jester goes up to 16. But, seriously at 9.5 DIN, is there any reason not to go with the Pivot? I really don't care about the $30 or the extra weight. The Pivots seem to be a superior binding. I love my boots so I'm good with minimal adjustments on the heel. I plan to use the bindings for several seasons so the durability of Pivot is a significant plus. My ego struggles with a 12 DIN binding... but from what I can tell, the Look Pivot 12 is just as durable and high performance as the pivot 14 and 18. Let me know what you think - thx!
    Pivot 12 and 14 have the same construction, just a different spring inside. As TtheEast notes, the 18 adds a fair bit of metal (and weight) to the binding for added durability.

If you're running your binding at 9.5, the Pivot 12 is more than enough binding for you. Go for it.

Great to hear - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Pivot 12 and 14 have the same construction, just a different spring inside. As TtheEast notes, the 18 adds a fair bit of metal (and weight) to the binding for added durability.

If you're running your binding at 9.5, the Pivot 12 is more than enough binding for you. Go for it.
    That was wiredToTheT... Lotsa T's...

Quote Originally Posted by bayareaskier View Post
    I've got a decent deal on a 2013/14 Marker Jester for $229. I could also just buy a Look Pivot 12 for $249. (It's December so no off-season deals.)
    except if you look here

^^^ that is a Axial heel, not a Pivot/FKS heel. Not the same thing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    except if you look here
    Man I got excited for a minute looking at the price before actually looking at the bindings... Very different set.

turntable Pivot (not 2, I know) comes in 12 now? I thought floor was 15.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    turntable Pivot (not 2, I know) comes in 12 now? I thought floor was 15.
    No 15 exists, 12, 14, 18.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post

The 18 has a different toe too. It's a really cool toe that doesn't have split wings. It's one piece that moves on a "ball joint" at any angle. FKS 155 FTW

Go Look. I bought my first Looks that have since become the pivot line 40 years ago and have skied nothing else since.

Pivot!

Better and safer.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    No 15 exists.
    Yet, I own 2 pairs, to go with my four pairs of 18s.

The 15 has the metal single pivot toe, and can be found on occasion in gear swap and on craigslist for less than a new pair of 14s.

Yeah, 15 is the perfect combo. The strength of the 18 but a more usable DIN range. IMHO Look/Rossi should reintroduce it as they did the 12. If they offer it for $349, they might loose $50/a pair they will more than make it up on volume and they are doing with the 12 @ $249 verses the 14 @ $299.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I just pulled a set of 15's off an older Rossi race ski that had 1" tall plastic race plates under them. Where can I get wider brakes or do I need to try to bend them? I want to mount them on the Bya's I just got. Can they be mounted without the thin plactic plates (may have been for ramp) that used to come with them?

12 PX2 @$200 vs STH oversized and squire.

13 or 12- plastic turntable @ $250 goes up well against STH2 / Griffon 13s @ $230 and Tyrolia attack 13 @$200

15- metal @ $350 goes up well against STH2 16 @ $300 and Jester16 @ $360

18 - metal @ $400 vs Jester Pro 18 @ $400

That would give Look/Rossi a pretty competitive edge in the binding department IMO. Would be hard to justify a marker purchase, and would give them a good reason to go look over sth2.

I will go against the grain here, but am actually moving back to Marker this year from Look / Rossi. I love the FKS / Pivot, but prefer the Marker line in terms of snow feel, froot angle and adjustment range.

I'd just pick up a pair of used 155's…I honestly think the older ones are of better construction and they can be had for much less money. I am actually selling a pair if you are interested. I wouldn't consider a marker product…if anything I would look for a salomon driver.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Yet, I own 2 pairs, to go with my four pairs of 18s.

The 15 has the metal single pivot toe, and can be found on occasion in gear swap and on craigslist for less than a new pair of 14s.
    I mean in the current lineup smartass

Quote Originally Posted by bogusbill View Post
    I just pulled a set of 15's off an older Rossi race ski that had 1" tall plastic race plates under them. Where can I get wider brakes or do I need to try to bend them? I want to mount them on the Bya's I just got. Can they be mounted without the thin plactic plates (may have been for ramp) that used to come with them?
    To get wide brakes, either bend them or call your local Rossignol dealer to order wide brakes for you. Be warned, they are a bit spendy because you're buying a whole new heel base plate, not just arms.

The plastic plates are optional, but you'll have to get shorter mounting screws.