Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Fucked situation-what to do?

A person just came to my front gate with a small dog in her arms that had suffered trauma to it's face/eye. From talking to the 5-6 year old boy with her, apparently he was walking their dogs by my house yesterday and my dogs (Behind a driveway rod iron fence) were barking at their 2 dogs. My dogs will bark at 90% of the dogs that walk by when they are behind the gates. Any ways, his dogs were barking back and the dog ran at the fence and my GSD chomped him in the eye/face. Looks like the dog will lose it's eye and the vet bill is already $2k.

It isn't like I am rolling in cash these days to reimburse them, but I want to do the right thing. Being that I have a past problem with that family, I am uncertain how helpful I should be. So how should I handle this? Obviously, I can not let my dogs out front anymore if I am not there to watch them. What else would a good person do?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Your dogs were under control and fenced in. Their dog was not under their control. Anything you do is above and beyond what you are responsible for IMO. I would explain that and offer what I could afford as they are neighbors.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Your dogs were under control and fenced in. Their dog was not under their control. Anything you do is above and beyond what you are responsible for IMO. I would explain that and offer what I could afford as they are neighbors.
    This. IMO.

Obviously I do not know the whole story and entire lay of the land - so there may be more to it. But I have increasingly little patience or sympathy for people whose dogs are not on leash or strict voice control who then try to excuse either what their dogs did, or try to hold others accountable for what happens to their dogs. If your dog(s) were behind a proper fence, you accountability stops there IMO.

That said, I'd probably be a little concerned in general about how my dog(s) might have reacted. Perhaps worth a bit of "conditioning"?
    Last edited by spindrift; 12-26-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Agreed. If you want to pat yourself on the back and think of yourself as a good guy, you could offer to pick up half the tab or some meaningful amount that you can afford.

Buy their dog an eyepatch and call it even.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    5-6 year old boy...apparently he was walking their dogs by my house yesterday
    You are expected to pay for that?

Your boys were just behaving like dogs, right up until the intruder got aggro. Then its all GS. I'd try an assuage them before they lawyer up. Your right about ...
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

"rod iron fence"?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

If I'm reading this right, your German Shepard stayed within the fence the whole time, but could reach his/her head through the bars? And then when the neighbors' dog ran at the fence, he/she leaned between the bars and chomped, right? Was the neighbors' dog on your property or did the fence divide your property from public property? (Don't know if that necessarily matters legally, but just curious.)

My advice would be as above. Explain how it's not your fault, and offer a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

So It did some reading on the internetz and as my wall is set back 4 feet from the public sidewalk, their dog had to come onto my property to get bit. The fence is rod iron and my dogs can stick their heads through it until they get to their shoulders. So ya, I may be able to defend this if it comes to that. I obviously need to chicken wire my fences so my dogs can not get their heads through it. Really bummed their dog got hurt, even though they are a douche bag family.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    "rod iron fence"?
    Don't get me started...

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    "rod iron fence"?
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Don't get me started...
    Sorry, wrought iron fences

Did they ask you for money? Or suggest it was your dog's fault? Or did they say, "hey our dog ran onto your property and got bit and it's totally our fault, but we just wanted to let you know" ?

Wrought..
    1. Their dogs were definitely trespassing.
    2. Who the fuck lets the 6 year old kid walk the dogs alone?
    3. The gaps in your fence are too wide for your dogs. I don't think it's great to be able to get that much head through.
    4. Unfortunately, even though your dogs were just protecting their turf, now they're on the record as being dangerous. That is, if they go on the record. I'd do my best to keep this calm and quiet and get everyone involved to acknowledge it as just unfortunate. Anything more, and you now have dogs that are considered by most people to be a liability.
    5. Shitty shitty situation.
    6. Sorry dude. I can only imagine how sucky this is for you. Glad my dog is uber passive.

Quote Originally Posted by hikesalot View Post
    Did they ask you for money? Or suggest it was your dog's fault? Or did they say, "hey our dog ran onto your property and got bit and it's totally our fault, but we just wanted to let you know" ?
    OK, the back story is about 11 years ago their high school daughter and 2 friends jumped my daughter, beat her up pretty good and smash her car up to the tune of about $2k. At the time the parents blew me off. No apology, nothing. My daughter just stopped by for lunch and said how do we know Gunther did it??? I doubt they are making it up, but that is why the daughter came by to tell me as I would have told her parents to eat shit. She didn't ask for money, she just wanted me to see what Gunther did. Thing is, dogs always try to bite him and he always jumps back, but has been nipped a few times. I guess this time the dog tried to bite him and he bit the little guy back.

I would just ignore it. You and your dogs did nothing wrong. If they want to raise a stink they can call animal control or the police. I you try to make amends you're basically saying you did something wrong.

Oooofff this sucks. I'm no lawyer, but technically it sounds like you are in the clear since your dogs were fenced and the bitten dog came up on the property. However, there is the bad blood part possibly lasting for years from telling the loser neighbors to fuck off that you need to weigh. Sorry man.

Your dog was provoked, plain & simple. And it was in a controlled situation. End of story. Your neighbor's son learned a life lesson.

I routinely walk by this house that has a solid retaining wall butted against the sidewalk that ends at shoulder level and then a substantial fence on top of the wall. I didn't know it, but ground level on the house side of the retaining wall is a good 4 feet higher than the sidewalk. A dog always barks at me from behind the retaining wall when I walk by but I just ignore it.

Imagine my surprise when I walk by one day and a snarling, salivating set of teeth wiggle though the (narrow) gap in the fence atop the retaining wall and emerge right at head level as I'm walking by.

I have nothing to add but that story. Not sure what I would have done if bitten.....probably just demanded the dog be tested for rabies and let it go after that.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    OK, the back story is about 11 years ago their high school daughter and 2 friends jumped my daughter, beat her up pretty good and smash her car up to the tune of about $2k. At the time the parents blew me off. No apology, nothing.
    Karma at work.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    However, there is the bad blood part possibly lasting for years from telling the loser neighbors to fuck off that you need to weigh. Sorry man.
    Right??? I have hated that family forever for their daughter and her 2 friends beating the shit out of my kid years ago. At the time we didn't press charges against their kid, as she was already on probation and would have been thrown in jail. But to this day I still flip the mom off if I see her. Ya, no wonder the parents didn't stop by. I am going to make the fences so the dogs can not get their heads through and leave it at that. Que my car getting trashed in the next few weeks.

So let me see if I follow.

Owner of the dogs daughter and friend beat the fuck out of your daughter and then her parents told you to eat shit. Now "a person" (same one that beat your daughter?) Comes by with a chewed dog.

Sounds like its your turn to tell them to eat shit. Perhaps remind them of the daughter beating incident at the same time.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    So let me see if I follow. Now "a person" (same one that beat your daughter?) Comes by with a chewed dog. Sounds like its your turn to tell them to eat shit.
    It was the little sister (who is now 18-19) that came by to show me the dog. If it was the older sister, I would have kicked her in the $%^&.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Buy their dog an eyepatch and call it even.
    Arrrrrrrrrr

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Put me in the camp of "karma earned and spent". You dogs were restrained and on your property. Any restitution that you give they should regard as a blessing. I do feel sorry for the kid and the little mutt, however. Putting a more restrictive fence will make for better neighbour relation however, probably a smart idea no matter the reason.

My hound is mallyXkbd. Half our yard is fenced and half open to the street. When a loose neighbour dog wanders by, pisses on everything and mouths off our hound (and they do talk smack to one anther), she goes ape behind her fence. And should she ever get the chance on or off the property, she'll tear into them no matter their size. Something we have to deal with, unfortunately. Those other dogs that are restrained, and/or otherwise respect her territory, she is absolutely gentle with. And their owners say what a marvellous animal she is. The others who let their hounds run the neighbourhood think she is some kind of terror that need to be muzzled. I have as much respect for them as my hound has for their mutts.