Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dog mace/ pepper spray?

Lots of agro dogs out in the country where I run; I've tried several routes, and there's at least one dog on each that comes at me. I've talked them down for the most part, but I want a backup plan if one goes for a bite. Anybody ever used dog spray? Lots of info on the interwebz about dog-specific sprays; anybody have first-hand experience?

Youz in 'merca? Fuck ya! Carry a glock muthafucka.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

A treat
    or a stick
    mace doesnt work
    pepper not that easy to use and may get you
    picador

Treats may not distract a pissed-off dog; I need a plan for last-resort defense. Stick is fine, but I don't want to have to carry it for miles.

I have relied on a well placed running shoe to the teeth on my running route a few times. Dog spray is too lasting. Owners get wise.

Squirt gun. Full of ammonia.
    You are what you eat.

^^^ Leaning that way; my mom used to do that 30 years ago, worked great. But I need a gun that won't leak or I'm gonna stink.

Buy a big dog to run with you. Name it pepper. Let it kill any stupid little terrier that tries to attack it. Then tell the stupid fucks who didn't control their dog, "too bad about your dog, now go back to the Bay." (local color reference). Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

^^ Tempting, but I'd need a mastiff. All the dogs on my routes are big ol' pit bulls or boxers. Lol

Run with someone who is slower than you.
    watch out for snakes

Dog mace/ pepper spray?

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Run with someone who is slower than you.
    Shit, nobody is slower than me.
    Last edited by Flyoverland Captive; 12-25-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Just get some bear spray, oil base. Dogs will nevar lay chase again. Not as difficult as the idiot above says to deploy.

Can't mace a dog [/rolls eyes]

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I have relied on a well placed running shoe to the teeth on my running route a few times. Dog spray is too lasting. Owners get wise.
    Good, maybe the owners won't let their fucking shit-hounds run loose around people. I'd blast them with spray paint to make that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Just get some bear spray, oil base. Dogs will nevar lay chase again. Not as difficult as the idiot above says to deploy.
    ^^ THIS ^^
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fireworks_bang_snaps_pop_pop_snappers.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	161897
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

if used bear spray on rouge dogs. nothing pisses me off more then when im out enjoying a nice stream fishing and some random aggro ass big dog approaches me with the owner nowhere in sight, or around the corner and just not caring.

i dont give a fuk if u think ur dog would never hurt a fly, i personally have no way to know that. bear spray is the best.

Mace seemed to work very well on my dog, the USPS used it on him when he escaped our yard. Each dog is different, but as you may know many dogs see running towards them as an act of aggression. Mine does sometimes, I wish more runners knew to just walk because he would stop going ballistic if they would slow down and/or say hi to him. I should say he is a 100% on-leash dog, he can't chase any runner down, just acts psycho/possessed when threatened.

Kicking in the chest drops him, he's 80 pounds, basically sticking out your foot quickly and letting him run into it right as he approaches. A powerful full strength rib-breaking kick is completely unnecessary IMO for any dog.

The problem with the chest kick is that you don't get the opportunity. In my experience they come at you from behind.
    You are what you eat.

I've been around dogs my whole life, and know how to calm an agro dog. I slow to a walk, talk calmly, all that stuff. What I need is an "oh shit, last resort" thing.

Yesterday's dog, a 100# boxer, came from 300 yards away at a full charge, growling and barking the whole time. He crossed two lanes of traffic, and stayed on my heel, baring his teeth and being threatening. If I turned my back to him, he got inches from me, and could have easily bitten me before I could even react. Would he have done so? Probably not... but as sal the salmon said above, I have no way of knowing that.

One of my routes has a house with two dogs. If only one of them is in the yard, I get a few barks, and that's it. But when they're both out, they go apeshit, and I could easily see the pack-mind taking over, and me being prey. There is no way I could defend myself if they both attacked.

Thus, the need for something defensive. I have no intention of spraying a dog unless I think he's about to bite, but I want that extra security just in case. I'm thinking something like this:
    http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore...ay-80146-p=665

Small enough to carry in my pocket.

I've experienced blow back from bear spray once. It was extremely unpleasant. If you decide to go that route, make sure it's on stream, not spray, or, of course, mist, and check the wind. Practice a few times with a mask over your face and nose and a quick escape route inside. Seriously. I thought I would have to call 911.

watch out for snakes

Picked up one of these today for $12 at Mountain Gear. It's small and potent, and it's pink, so gay dogs will think I'm one of them and leave me alone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1419643577.403374.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	161914

Oops, forgot the pic...