Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A blown knee for Christmas

A couple days ago I was just skiing the resort with some friends. We came up to this jump that had about a 10 foot step down onto a flat and icy landing. I came in with a bit too much speed and landed way back seat. As I landed I felt my kneecap dislocate, but it popped back in as soon as I straightened my leg. I told my friends that I would just meet them at the bottom, but after a few slow cautious turns the knee buckled inwards and my kneecap dislocated again. This time I had to put it back in place with my hands. I eventually got patrol to help me and bring me into first aid. The next day at the hospital I was told that I had a tear in my MCL and my pattelar tendon and LCL were also damaged by the crash, I only had 75 degrees of motion in my knee.they told me that I was done skiing two months at least. So now I get to let my new dynafit beast setup lay in my basement for the next two months.
    merry fucking Christmas

I was out in the side country & felt the knee pop, I skied out ok but it felt funny so I went straight to the physio who diagnosed a stage 1 MCL tear ... I will be back in 2 weeks
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Let it heal, you will ski again.

Look at it this way, you are way better off than the person the FD was extricating from a twisted mini van i saw on my way home last night.
    watch out for snakes

At least you don't need surgery! It's not really blown until you tear your ACL too. If you did that, you wouldn't be skiing for 4-6 months. At least you can get back in February, which, IMHO is when the ski season really starts to get good! Just make sure to do the PT for real so you come back strong and get full ROM back. Good luck!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Dude, be happy it isn't worse. Granted it sucks (I blew my acl right before Christmas years ago). Chin up, your ACL is good and no surgery!

"10 foot step down onto a flat and icy landing"

I think I see problem!
    Heal up dude. lots of winter left .

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I was out in the side country & felt the knee pop, I skied out ok but it felt funny so I went straight to the physio who diagnosed a stage 1 MCL tear ... I will be back in 2 weeks

Grade 1 not stage 1 and I had some more comments but try GIMP CENTRAL

I suffered a full mcl rupture last year in the second week of Sept. along with a non displaced distal femoral fracture. My .02, find yourself a well respected ortho for a second opinion and follow their recommendations without pushing it. When they tell you it's ok to start pt, do it and don't slack. It takes time to regain your strength/flexibility and if you push too early or hard you risk reinjury. I got the all clear to be on the hill after just under 4 months and really didn't feel strong enough to get after it until late Feb early March. The biggest hurdle for me was regaining the strength and having the confidence mentally that it was strong enough to ride a full day. Follow your pt's plan and be smart about not overdoing it and hopefully, you'll be back by the end of the season. Good luck!

The good news is that this is the worst season my area has seen in 25 years, only half of the resort is open. at least I'm not missing anything super good.

If you ski enough you will get hurt. Guaranteed. And whenever you do get hurt, it will never be at a good time. There is no good time. For your own mental health you need to learn to accept that fact and how to deal with injury and recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you ski enough you MAY get hurt.
    Fify^^^^^^^^^

my ego got hurt when i saw a 6 year old with a better go pro then mine. sometimes the mental scars are the worst.

When the swelling goes down set the seat on your bike extra high and SLOWLY pedal around the block and see how she feels.

As has been said, "move this to Gimp Central JONG!"

Since you didn't know that, maybe you don't know about a cryocuff. Here is a link to a Wal wart one just because they are the cheapest. Use it as much as you can and as the selling reduces, work on range of motion exercises (youtube). 2 months is probably worst case if you ice and baby it for a week.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CryoCuff-1...ooler/35192585

Frozen pees and an ace bandage would be cheaper if you are hard up.

Just adding to his "what i got for xmas" post is all and i'm not bummed cuz I've done shit loads of skiing without injury and lots this season already

Quote Originally Posted by Sagacity View Post
    Fify^^^^^^^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Just adding to his "what i got for xmas" post is all and i'm not bummed cuz I've done shit loads of skiing without injury and lots this season already
    Ah, the complacency of the not yet injured. "It can't happened to me."

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Ah, the complacency of the not yet injured. "It can't happened to me."
    nope.

At least you made it til Christmas...

Once approved by a PT single leg squats to parralel, then start weighting with hand weights and vest.

Yup started doing those, the PT also said knee will feel better before it is actualy mended enough and if I want to get back at skiing I will have to cut back the intensity

Not complacent at all I accept what the things i do could fuck me up and on the whole I'm just happy to be alive

pretty wierd incident I hurt my knee lying on my back skis in the air not touching anything

So today at PT the lady was doing the test for ACL tear by bending my knee and pulling on the lower leg (she has already done this test a few times ), but this time the lower leg pulled forward and popped. She concluded that I have a grade 1 MCL tear, a grade 1 meniscus tear, a strained LCL, and a partial ACL tear or possible full rupture of the ACL. I never really thought something like this could happen to me, I'm only 16, I'm too young for this shit to be happening. But it happened and now I have to face the fact that I may have to give up three of my favourite sports for almost two years if I have to wait a long time for surgery.

Slow down poster boy. You're letting a PT manipulate you in more ways than you know.
    She just rattled off the entire knee test answers from the PT Cert. exam.

Time to go to an orthopedist. The guy that went to med school, served multiple residences
    and then decided on bones. At the very least, 9 years later; just so he could look at your knee!

The guy (or goil) that can take apart your knee and the put it back together with a funny
    razor blade, needle and thread. Talk to someone with skills before you consider retirement.

Or you could stay in a perpetual state of panic...
    ​I am not in your hurry

Have you had a MRI yet? If not - go get one ASAP, not sure why they are diagnosing the tear based on pulling your leg, but what do I know.

When it is time for surgery - find the best surgeon that you can. Go to a big city with a reputable surgeon - you are young and can recover from this and have a long and active life ahead of you! Where are you? If at Vail, go to Steadman! East coast?

This list is a start but not all inclusive by any means. http://ryortho.com/2014/05/top-28-no...surgeons-2014/

Regardless - seek out the best surgeon that you can find. Just because they have some initials after their name and wear a white coat doesn't automatically mean they will do a good job on YOUR knee. Do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Slow down poster boy. You're letting a PT manipulate you in more ways than you know.
    She just rattled off the entire knee test answers from the PT Cert. exam.

Time to go to an orthopedist. The guy that went to med school, served multiple residences
    and then decided on bones. At the very least, 9 years later; just so he could look at your knee!

The guy (or goil) that can take apart your knee and the put it back together with a funny
    razor blade, needle and thread. Talk to someone with skills before you consider retirement.

Or you could stay in a perpetual state of panic...
    I'm seeing a orthopedist on Thursday, I'm hoping he will have good news.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmergauerTele View Post
    Have you had a MRI yet? If not - go get one ASAP, not sure why they are diagnosing the tear based on pulling your leg, but what do I know.

When it is time for surgery - find the best surgeon that you can. Go to a big city with a reputable surgeon - you are young and can recover from this and have a long and active life ahead of you! Where are you? If at Vail, go to Steadman! East coast?

This list is a start but not all inclusive by any means. http://ryortho.com/2014/05/top-28-no...surgeons-2014/

Regardless - seek out the best surgeon that you can find. Just because they have some initials after their name and wear a white coat doesn't automatically mean they will do a good job on YOUR knee. Do some research.
    I'm in Nelson BC. I have found a good orthopedist and he will decide if I need a MRI or a scope