Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    You said "addiction" when what you meant is "emotional dependence". Addiction (physical dependence) is very simple. The question about why some people are compelled to allow themselves to become addicted is not. The question about why some people behave as though they were addicted to things that have no inherent addictive properties is even more complicated. But behavioral disorders and physical dependence are, from a functional perspective, only tertiarily related.
    some day the dog will catch its tail

three degrees of separation eh?

They shoot guns with blanks in their faces, fire extinguishers, all sorts of crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    some day the dog will catch its tail

three degrees of separation eh?
    There is no dog.

Besides Hugh's mom of course....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

These aren't far behind in the crazy though. .

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Addiction, eating disorders, mental illness is 100 times more complicated than choosing to live or die...

Just saying...
    mtngirl sounds like she knows what she is talking about KQ. It is not that alcoholics or other addictive/compulsive types choose to piss their life away, it is a mental illness that convinces you that it is the only way to live and the consequences will not be bad, no matter how bad they actually are. The physical addiction part of alcoholism is nothing compared to the mental "obsession" as they say in AA. You can get over the physical part relatively quickly, but the mental construct, almost like a split personality, is with the addict for the rest of their life. It is like the Terminator, it's sole purpose is to get fucked up. And it will use any weakness or excuse. Insidious....

Trashcan, brave man for the PSA. Being open will help you face this and live a good life. Best of luck
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Liver failure is horrible. When people talk about dying as the "worst thing" the thing that pops into my mind is suffering from terminal cirrhosis. I've worked with many families and pts with cirrhosis and alcoholism and the sequela from liver failure sucks. Luckily the lactulose isn't the worst tasting medicine.

And yes, he hepatologists do recommend Tylenol. Gotta protect the kidneys, so minimal NSAIDS-- opioids build up and get toxic, so Tylenol in appropriate doses is really the safest.

Don't know much about the Western Pleasure set but I can imagine, like all animal related competitions (think the movie "Best in Show") that is has it's kooks.

/thread drift
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Damn. Sorry, that was supposed to be the cirrhosis bit they did. Lap taken.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    So much better than anything else in this thread. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Damn. Sorry, that was supposed to be the cirrhosis bit they did. Lap taken.
    Who cares? I laughed.

I tried to find the right clip. Unpossible.

Fucking seinfeld is why:

Elaine thinks that boyfriend David Puddy may be religious after finding Christian rock stations set on his car radio. At the coffee shop, George laments to Jerry about losing respect at a project meeting led by Mr. Kruger after following a good suggestion with a bad joke. Jerry suggests that George use the Vegas showmanship trick of leaving the room after a comedic high note. Elaine tells George and Jerry about her suspicions with Puddy. George suggests altering his radio presets as a test. Kramer and Mickey Abbott get an acting gig playing sick for some medical students. Jerry's girlfriend Sophie (Cindy Ambuehl) calls him with the "it's me" greeting, but he does not recognize her voice. At the next Kruger meeting, George takes Jerry's suggestion and actually leaves the room after a well-received joke and goes to a movie theater to see Titanic. For their acting job, Mickey and Kramer are assigned bacterial meningitis and gonorrhea, respectively. Elaine confirms that Puddy is religious. Kramer picks up on the showmanship idea and gives an impressive theatrical performance of gonorrhea for the med students. When Sophie uses the unwelcome "it's me" greeting on Jerry's answering machine, George suggests he does an "it's me" when he calls back to see if she recognizes Jerry's voice. Sophie does not, and assumes it's a friend named "Rafe". She reveals that she has not told Jerry about an incident she calls the "tractor story." Puddy confirms that he is religious and doesn't care that Elaine is not, because he is "not the one going to Hell."

George and Jerry speculate on what the tractor story may be, George thinks she may have lost her thumbs in an accident and that her big toe is grafted on in their place. This causes Jerry to yell that she does not have "toe-thumbs". Elaine is frustrated that Puddy does not seem concerned about her, when he thinks she is going to Hell. George's showmanship backfires when Kruger throws everyone else off the large project because they are boring in comparison. Kramer is concerned about being typecast when the hospital wants him to perform gonorrhea again the next week, due to his stellar performance. Jerry sees a scar on Sophie's leg and assumes it was from a tractor accident. George finds that he has to do all the actual work on the project as Kruger constantly makes excuses and goofs off. Puddy asks Elaine to steal a newspaper. He would do it himself, but he reasons that he is bound by the Ten Commandments and she is going to Hell anyway. Kramer is attacked by Mickey after trying to take over Mickey's assigned role of cirrhosis of the liver. Elaine and Puddy seek the advice of a priest about their relationship. The priest informs them that they're both going to Hell for premarital sex, much to Elaine's delight and Puddy's resentment. Sophie tries to tell Jerry the tractor story, but he tells her that he already knows about it (believing it to be about the scar). Kramer and Mickey enter, still arguing about being given (the role of) gonorrhea, and Sophie tells them her tractor story. She says she got gonorrhea from riding a tractor in her bathing suit. Kramer tells her that that's impossible and she says that's what her boyfriend told her (with the implication that her boyfriend gave her gonorrhea, and that she was rather gullible and believed him). After hearing that, Jerry leaves the relationship on a comedic high note. George tries to get Mr. Kruger to work and instead he makes silly comments and walks off on a high-note just like George previously did, leaving George with a mountain of paperwork.

That's a 23-minute show! wtf. crazy.

Did you just write all of that or is it a copy paste?

Copy and paste. Not sure I can read that much all at once, never mind write it..

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1419262915.940812.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	161765

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    So sorry for your loss! Isn't it just awful? All they have to do is put down the bottle and live - thing is I don't think they want to. More than just the pull of alcohol. It's like an anorexic - just eat something, please!
    I am a recovering alcoholic. This March I will have 5 years sober. It's a disease. You can "want" to quit all you want, but you have to seek help and make some serious changes in your life. Even then, some unfortunates never get sober. Your comment cements in my mind why only recovering alcoholics can help alcoholics get sober.

For many years I had a pain in my side (mysteriously) where my liver resides. The pain is gone now, thank God.

I am extremely fortunate to be one of the few who have the gift of sobriety.

Flame on.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    I am extremely fortunate to be one of the few who have the gift of sobriety.

Flame on.
    Do you mean alcoholics who are sober?

And good job being able to make that change

I'd do her Randy Newman style....the woman, not the horse.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    I am a recovering alcoholic. This March I will have 5 years sober. It's a disease. You can "want" to quit all you want, but you have to seek help and make some serious changes in your life. Even then, some unfortunates never get sober. Your comment cements in my mind why only recovering alcoholics can help alcoholics get sober.
    Oh snap!! I had no idea she wouldn't be dead if I had been a recovering alcoholic. It's all MY fault! Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Oh snap!! I had no idea she wouldn't be dead if I had been a recovering alcoholic. It's all MY fault! Gotcha.
    You know full well that's not what grape ape was saying.

Yeah that's pretty much what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    You said "addiction" when what you meant is "emotional dependence". Addiction (physical dependence) is very simple. The question about why some people are compelled to allow themselves to become addicted is not. The question about why some people behave as though they were addicted to things that have no inherent addictive properties is even more complicated. But behavioral disorders and physical dependence are, from a functional perspective, only tertiarily related.
    Physical dependence is a common symptom arising from the use of certain substances--characterized by tolerance to higher and higher doses and unpleasant symptoms upon withdrawal. Common drugs leading to physical dependence are narcotics and nicotine. Hundreds of my patients after big operations have become physically dependent on narcotics. The vast majority have no problem withdrawing from narcotics as the need (pain) diminishes. Addiction is a compulsion to use substances or pursue activities that produce immediate rewards and long term harm. The substances involved may or may not produce physical dependence. Arguing whether addiction is physical--a disease--or mental--a behavioral disorder-- is pointless, since the mind is part of the body and the condition is both; whether addiction is "physical" or "mental" makes no difference in how the condition feels to the individual. It also makes no difference in how the condition is treated, which is based on empirical evidence, not on theory, and will differ for different individuals. MG has it right

Disinterested parties can look at an addicted individual dispassionately and see the factors that led to addiction in a particular individual and make recovery difficult--including things like genetics--and be non-judgemental. Given the enormous toll addiction takes on the lives of the family and other loved ones of the addicted individual it is highly unrealistic to expect those loved ones to be non-judgemental. Even the families of schizophrenics--which is clearly an organic brain disease--cannot manage that.

My suggestion to anyone who wants to help someone with an addiction, mental illness, grief, etc is to seek professional help... my loved one is ..... how do I help, what can I do....? Ask this of professionals, or read reputable websites...