Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Salomon QLab 190 Experience & Mounting

I skied the QLab 190 for a full day (over the course of 2 days) in a foot of fresh and then in the day after chopped up conditions...at the time the mounting point was more forward then the production model out now.

Has anyone skied the QLab in the current form with the new mounting position recommended by Salomon? If so did you mount on the line or go further back?

Overall I'm looking for what ever experience anyone has with this ski. I very much liked it on the resort.

Thanks

Yes. On the line. Happy there.

I'm 5'9", 165lbs or so.
    Skis I've liked: 4frnt Renegades, line mothership, armada ant, kneissl t@nker, AK rocket lab....

Only a few hours on them in 3-5" on top of refrozen, but I liked them a lot. I didn't find myself second guessing the mount at all.

Really nice ski. I've spent the last 4 years on 186 renegades, and I've been looking for something in the 100-110mm range to complement them. I find that transitioning from full reverse camber, 122mm waist, big sidecut to most more traditional skis is a bit of a challenge. The amount of steering required (soft touch with the renegades) and turn initiation differences made for an awkward few turns that always cooled my ardor. I got a pair of Cochise a couple years ago, and they were OK, but they were bouncy in deeper soft and kind of boring everywhere else. Motherships didn't bring enough to the table that the renegades didn't already offer. Others felt either too locked in or dead compared to the renegades to keep me coming back.

Anyways, no problems with transitioning to the labs, and I think they'll make a great compliment to the renegades in my quiver (both 186 and 196). Exciting, powerful skis. That is a hell of a tail on the labs, and I found myself riding them a couple times when I got kicked into the backseat. Not an uncomfortable experience, really, but they definitely encouraged you to get forwards again.

I found no problems with the small sidecut. It's definitely there when you lay them over, but I didn't find them to be hooky or nervous at speed at all. Going fast and straight over crud and variable didn't feel unnatural. We'll see how they do in harder snow....

The guys at blister didn't love the softer shovel. I didn't find it to feel particularly soft in crud and nasties. Again, I want to see how it hooks up and gives back on hardpack and powers through deeper, heavier crud before rendering too much judgment.
    focus.

Bumping this. Hoping this ski might be the answer.... looking for more input.

I own the 193 cochise and I am not completely sold. Looking for something with a touch more camber and a touch more driveable.

If the made the supernatural in a 19x I'd be on it...

Maybe praxis freeride?

Maybe this solly?

6'1" 200#. I need a ski between my 195 superbros and 196 protest. Inbounds only. I have lhasas for the bc.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Bumping this. Hoping this ski might be the answer.... looking for more input.

I own the 193 cochise and I am not completely sold. Looking for something with a touch more camber and a touch more driveable.

If the made the supernatural in a 19x I'd be on it...

Maybe praxis freeride?

Maybe this solly?

6'1" 200#. I need a ski between my 195 superbros and 196 protest. Inbounds only. I have lhasas for the bc.
    I had a pair of 185 Cochise that I ended up unloading.... just never really did it for me. I really like the Q Labs. The tips hook up nice when you want them to, but the skis are happy to smear around, too. Nice and powerful, without being a handful (compared to 196 Renegades, which is the ski I'm on 65% of the time these days). Smooth. Between these and the renegades I don't ever feel like I have any chinks in my quiver worth filling.

I can't speak to the superbros or protest.
    focus.

I ended up just mounting on the line when this thread went dead. I very much enjoy this ski...she is heavy but the weight isn't felt once you get moving.

The tip isn't an issue, I like it but I do wish the tail was slightly softer...at times in refrozen areas or in tighter places I'm getting hung up a bit. In some variable chop areas I find her to
    lose some hold and get bounced around....but that's a known function of a softer shovel transitioning to a really thick stiff fore body and tail....it has to be one of the stiffest tails out there.

It's GREAT on hard pack....most don't understand how but this ski has changed up my quiver. I now go from my brahma or Praxis SND ( skinny skis are great in the east) right in to the Lab. I was hunting for a 95mm waist (lusted for a StormRider) but I don't find I need it anymore.

Anyone confirm on the best mounting point? Everywhere around says on the centerline but feel looks like at least 1cm to 3cm behind the line.

I wouldn't change the mount point.
    focus.

This ski has become my go to...mount on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    I was hunting for a 95mm waist (lusted for a StormRider) but I don't find I need it anymore.
    Anyone have anything to add about the Salomon's hard snow abilities? I'm looking for something that is capable on hard snow to compliment EHP's, a new pair of SR's is ideal in my mind but the Salomon is interesting.

All I've got to add is I have a pair of 190cm w/ STH 16's available for $419. They are in great shape, just need to thin the quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Anyone have anything to add about the Salomon's hard snow abilities? I'm looking for something that is capable on hard snow to compliment EHP's, a new pair of SR's is ideal in my mind but the Salomon is interesting.
    I don't know what SR's are. I find the QLabs to be a great complement to my renegades for hard(er) snow days. They overlap nicely in the tracked out/minimal new snow days, but carve nice turns on hardpack and have a clear spot in my quiver (which wasn't the case with my motherships, Cochise, rocker2s).

I'm not a hard snow geek, so my standard for "capable on hard snow" might be lower than some.
    focus.

Can't say enough good about this ski...it rails.

Fwiw I've got the 183 version. I generally ski a 184 Katana so like a more rearward mount (heh) so I mounted these at -2 with dynafits and have been really happy with the results. They rail on harder stuff and power throw heavier set up snow and are fine in pow as well. Good every day stick for me at this size/width (75kg, 180cm).
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Bump
    Just fondled a pair of these the the store and the 190's looks tits. They look about 185 to 187cm, and especially with the rocker, and what seemed like a decent weight for their size, I think they'd be a really confidence inspiring ski for someone who is 6' and about 200 and sometimes a really strong ripper (lol).
    The mount point does look really forward. It would probably improve it to have 1 or 2cm less of that stiff tail for tight spaces and planing over new snow.
    I also (try to) follow the more traditional ski stance leaning way forward.
    Any comments?
    There's a chance I might actually get it together this year to get some new skis and get some Guardians and skins.
    Actually, I'd take a used setup with Guardians and skins if someone is selling and they're in decent shape.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

just joined 190 club.

subscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I wouldn't change the mount point.
    Still wouldn't.

I don't know why getting closer to the tail would make it more forgiving. It's a nicely balanced ski.

I'm comparing to Renegades (186 and 196) as my only other skis, and these are a good bit further back in comparison. Also, I'm quite a bit smaller than you, so for what it's worth.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    just joined 190 club.

subscribed.
    We really are living parallel lives. I bought a pair of 190s last year mounted on the line. Absolutely love them. When you point them downhill, they are unstoppable. Used them in conditions ranging from rained on snow to a foot of powder. Favorite daily driver ski I've used.

Don't own these but just wanted to say it really bugs me that salomon discontinues such a good ski after two(?) seasons, as it sounds like most people really like it.
    Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Don't own these but just wanted to say it really bugs me that salomon discontinues such a good ski after two(?) seasons, as it sounds like most people really like it.
    Oh well...
    SOP for Solly "Lab" skis.. See AK Rocket, X Wing Lab, El Dictator. It's like they develop a new ski and sell it for two seasons, then discontinue it and wait two seasons for all the existing stock to sell, then release a new one, repeat....
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Can't complain too much. I got a pair in great shape with sth 14 for $300. There must not be as much of a market for them, but blizzard seems to sell a ton of metal skis.

It's like they keep dipping their toe back into this genre of ski, then pull out as soon as anybody starts to pay attention.

Net result: few think of salomon when they're thinking of this type of ski, and salomon's brief forays never sell particularly well.
    focus.

I got the 18x qlabs and skied them most of last year. Mounted on the line, loved them. Replaced my old legend pros. When it was deep I skied 187 moment jag sharks. Love the qlab in anything under 8" fresh. Little more "fun" compared to legend pros; still rail the hardpack. 190 would have been a bit long for me but i could see going there (I'm only 165#). Got some q103 for my wife for this year... hopefully she will like them over the volkl auras... but it sounds like they aren't quite as burly as the "lab" series

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    anyone's brief forays never sell particularly well.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    FIFY
    Interesting. Do salomon's unit sales compare favorably to other manufacturers against competing models, then?
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    We really are living parallel lives.
    Great minds
    Last edited by SeatownSlackey; 10-31-2016 at 09:53 PM.