Touring boot with a true 22 shell size, does it exist?

A friend of mine is having a hard time finding boots that fit well. It seems neither Dynafit nor Scarpa are making a smaller shell than 23, the 22/22.5s only using a thicker liner. She's currently in 22.5 TLT5s and its not really working for her. A decent bootfitter might be able to help, but getting to one is not a short term option.

Is anyone making a shell this small?

Touring boot with a true 22 shell size, does it exist?

I have it on good authority that the Scarpa Freedom comes in a true 22. But AFAIK the heel pocket is so large, it might as well be a 23.

She's not the only one with this issue. Jesski has a terrible time with it, too. She's running a 23 Zzero w 24 HV Intuitions and a Full Tilt tongue. But she has a size 7 foot. If your friend is smaller, she's kinda out of luck, unless a fitter on here knows something I don't. Best advice I have is to put a HV intuition in the TLT5 (unless that's what she's already done...)
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Freedom is the only true size 22 per what auvgeek said

Chocise goes down to a 22.

98mm last.

105 flex in the women's Pro version

http://www.tecnicausa.com/product-de...lor_number=BLU

^^Really? I'm interested in hearing your first/second hand opinion of how the size 22 fits! Can you compare to the OG "22" Cochise or other boots? I know jesski is interested in trying them on if they have better heel hold than the 23 Dynafit models.

PS. What's the bsl on the 22? Last I checked it was the same as the 23...and a size 23 with a toe dam is just not the same as a true 22. The volume should get smaller, not just the length.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 12-15-2014 at 06:27 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Dalbello says Krya (ladies Lupo) comes in 22.0. I'm pretty sure it's a true 22.
    http://www.dalbello.it/en/boots/all-...ure/kyra-95-id

This chart should be handy for you:
    http://www.evo.com/ski-boot-sole-len...ize-chart.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^Really? I'm interested in hearing your first/second hand opinion
    I just recalled that it was a 22 from looking at the internet spec, don't know what the actual shell is or how it fits.

sorry, cochise 22 is a 23 shell, with a overstuffed 22 liner. the 22.0, 22.5, 23.0 and 23.5 are all 280 BSL.

The TLT5, in 22 is 257BSL, but a smaller inside shell fit then the 23 (also a 257BSL)

some scarpas are avail in true 22.

not much really. Its a VERY small part of the skiing market share, and not worth companies to make that size

shirk - what mntlion said. Wasatchback the Tecnica rep answered that very question in my Cochise review on the TGR front page. Not a true size 22

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Its a VERY small part of the skiing market share, and not worth companies to make that size
    To what women's shoe size do you think a 22 mondo corresponds? Just curious.

photos

I think some older designs came in true 22/22.5 lengths (BSL under 270) - try Dynafit Gaia, Garmont Megaride W, Scarpa Blink. Not much in current designs, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    To what women's shoe size do you think a 22 mondo corresponds? Just curious.
    depends on how the lady wants/needs/expects her boots to fit and perform

My wife is usually a 8ish shoe, and skis a 22 boot in just about everything (but demands a lot from boots)

if someone is a green skier, on weekends, between wine and coffee breaks, a 22 would "fit" a person with a 6 shoe...

and just like you dont always use the exact same size shoe (I'm 7.5 to 8.5 mens and a 25 boot) ski boots are not all fitting the same

^^Thanks! I typed that question too quickly; obviously it's going to vary person to person, shoe to shoe (and boot to boot). I was just looking for a general ballpark answer. But you're confirming what I thought: plenty of ladies might wear a size 22 (or even a 21). The problem isn't that it's an absurdly small foot size—the problem is too few women tour!

photos

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I think some older designs came in true 22/22.5 lengths (BSL under 270) - try Dynafit Gaia, Garmont Megaride W, Scarpa Blink. Not much in current designs, unfortunately.
    Yea, the BSL comparison list linked earlier led me to the Gaia, and I actually found a pair of 22.5s at a pretty good price. Trying to convince my friend that it's a decent choice proved harder....weight and (too much) stiffness is the concern. I'm thinking a slight weight penalty is a small tradeoff if you can get a boot that is actually the right size. Anyone got first or second hand experience with the Gaia?

I can't believe it, but the F1 Evo seems to come as small as 21.5

http://www.scarpa.com/f1-evo-womens

I don't know of any BSL charts yet available that include this boot so can't comment on whether it is a 'true' 22. If anyone knows of BSL charts for these boots I would love to know.

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    If anyone knows of BSL charts for these boots I would love to know.
    Me too. If anyone works for a shop that has a size run of the F1 evo and can write down some BSL numbers, please PM me.

Skimo Co doesn't have the 21.5/22.0 in stock, but does list a shorter bsl for that size:
    http://skimo.co/scarpa-womens-f1-evo

[...]The TLT5, in 22 is 257BSL, but a smaller inside shell fit then the 23 (also a 257BSL)[...]
    Did you swap liners between the 22.0/22.5 vs the 23.0/23.5 to verify that the fit difference really is in the shell?

Even Dynafit's own sizing chart doesn't inspire confidence in any difference between the 22.0/22.5 vs the 23.0/23.5:

Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post

Did you swap liners between the 22.0/22.5 vs the 23.0/23.5 to verify that the fit difference really is in the shell?

did a shell fit with the wifes foot. the 22 was 10mm smaller inside, but 22-23.5 all had the same 257 BSL.

did a shell fit with the wifes foot. the 22 was 10mm smaller inside, but 22-23.5 all had the same 257 BSL.
    So they just stuck a toe jam up front in the same shell to make the length feel shorter? Or (highly doubtful...) is the shell lower in volume throughout?
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

I just found this: http://skimo.co/boot-sole-lengths

Has the F1 Evo BSL chart.

BTW, does anyone know if the F1 Evo 289 BSL mold is different in the mens/womens version? Or just different colored plastic?