"New" Camera Help - Canon T2i

I've been thinking about buying a camera for my girlfriend for some time now. She's taken a few photography classes in the past and definitely has an eye for good shots but she's lacking a decent camera. After hours of searching and reading, it seems like the T2i would make the perfect camera for a variety of reasons:

1) From what I can tell, it's good camera to learn on and grow into
    2) Inexpensive. She doesn't care about having the latest and greatest model. The T2i seems to give incredible bang for the buck
    3) Fits her needs. She'll be using it mostly for landscapes with a few action shots mixed in as well
    4) I've seen it used and recommended by some great photographers here
    5) Video capability. This is merely a nice to have function. Not necessary for what she'll be using it for

Unfortunately, the Canon Loyalty Program never seems to have the T2i in stock. However, I've found a few bodies with an 18 - 55 mm kit lens with a shutter count under 8k for $300 - $350. How competitive are those prices? Is anyone here thinking of selling one?

or you could grab the refurb T3i body for $300 and i'll sell you a barely used 18-55 kit lens for $50-

edit- except for the body is sold out- doh!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Refurb SL1 with the 18-55 STM for $359 on there right now. I paid $420 for mine in August from the refurb site.

Not pretending to have much to compare it to, but I've been happy with it so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

^^^ Get that. The 18-55mm STM lens is quite good and for $350, you won't find a better deal.

Nice find, LR and thanks for chiming in smmokan. It looks like I'll be going this route.

i recently retired a t2i after at least 200k actuations probably many more.. i've run over it with my subaru, trashed the lens. dropped it 50 feet down horsetail falls, trashed the lens. the one thing that killed it for me was the tripod falling over with the intervalometer attached. it landed on the connection so the intervalometer no longer works with it. while it's not sealed i've skied with it on my chest uncovered probably over 200 days in all conditions. the sensor also got dusty over time so the high fstops are super spotty.
    now i have a t3i.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    i recently retired a t2i after at least 200k actuations probably many more.. i've run over it with my subaru, trashed the lens. dropped it 50 feet down horsetail falls, trashed the lens. the one thing that killed it for me was the tripod falling over with the intervalometer attached. it landed on the connection so the intervalometer no longer works with it. while it's not sealed i've skied with it on my chest uncovered probably over 200 days in all conditions. the sensor also got dusty over time so the high fstops are super spotty.
    now i have a t3i.
    This should be in an ad.

I ended up getting her a refurbed SL1 with the 18-55mm STM lens that LR and smokkan recommended for $314 shipped.

^^^ That's such a fucking good deal. I saw the same setup at Target before the holidays still listed at $750.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.