Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Eastern Sierra BC 2014-15

To hell with it, let's get this started. Post photos and conditions info concerning any backcountry excursions between Lone Pine and Sonora Pass here.

The 14/15 Mammoth Resort Thread is here.

franzklammer

highanxiety

BGNight

franzklammer

bcd

skier666

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Schralph Macchio

Light Ranger

potatoeskillme

highanxiety

bcd

(If anyone wants me to remove their photo, just let me know.)
    Last edited by AKbruin; 12-09-2014 at 05:11 PM.

You dug through a bunch of old TRs to find those, eh? Solid work.

Here's one from North Peak on May 31 that I was particularly pleased with. Don't think I posted it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Yay! Hopefully we can get some action going on in here in the next few weeks.

Thu, Dec 11 2014 AM -08:00
    A strong winter storm will impact the eastern Sierra Thursday evening through Friday. The storm is in the top 10% of December/January winter storms in the past 30 years. We have not seen a storm like this in years.

Heads up to everyone- heavy snowfall and strong damaging winds will create avalanche conditions. Over 2 feet of snow is expected above 9,000 ft.
    -From the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center, which will hopefully start this season's forecasting soon.

Way to get it started AKbruin. Nice to see something new posted on the esac site too, hope they keep forecasting, did you see this article back in Oct though? http://thesheetnews.com/2014/10/23/a...back-services/

Some cams on this link, which I use now and then, although not all of them seem to work for me. http://395travel.com/

Anyone have any good weather links besides Howard and The Weather Guy?

Quote Originally Posted by highanxiety View Post
    Way to get it started AKbruin. Nice to see something new posted on the esac site too, hope they keep forecasting, did you see this article back in Oct though? http://thesheetnews.com/2014/10/23/a...back-services/

Some cams on this link, which I use now and then, although not all of them seem to work for me. http://395travel.com/

Anyone have any good weather links besides Howard and The Weather Guy?
    I didn't see that. But it inspired me to make a donation, which I should have done anyway. DONATE HERE.

In terms of weather, I usually go to NOAA and occasionally here: http://mammothsnowman.com/mammoth-mountain-weather/. But I'm not at all a weather geek.

This needs to be posted somewhere in this thread. The new Eastern Sierra Guidebook...

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...eastern+sierra

FKNA 1234

Got anything now?
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    To hell with it, let's get this started. Post photos and conditions info concerning any backcountry excursions between Lone Pine and Sonora Pass here.

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

(If anyone wants me to remove their photo, just let me know.)

Where is this?!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This needs to be posted somewhere in this thread. The new Eastern Sierra Guidebook...

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...eastern+sierra
    Just sent the url to my wife so she can surprise me on christmas

word, checkin in

"In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Whoa! Surprised to see one of my photos up there! I'm no longer an East-side charger; a year ago I moved to Wasangeles, a mystical place where the champagne is plentiful but only contains 3.2% alcohol. By all means keep the photo in here, it's one of my favs. I just hope, for all my fellow CA rippers, that the snow is abundant this year. You guys need it and deserve it.

213 contributes to powdiction.com. Excellent weather resource.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by JAREDS View Post
    Where is this?!
    Just out of Lake Sabrina, Bishop Creek drainage. Picture Peak is the nice looking shot just left of center in the middleground. Mt Haeckel is in the background, right side skyline. En route to Mt. Powell and Echo Col.

EDIT: I wasn't on that trip, but have camped out there and marveled at that shot.
    Last edited by meter-man; 12-10-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Sorry PW7, I looked for past photos from you but all the image links were dead. I also looked for JimW's sicko photos from Third Pillar or Powerhouse but couldn't find them. (Or maybe they were someone else's photos of JimW?) Anyhow, it was the best I could do in 30 minutes.

I was out there yesterday and coverage is pretty bad. Looks like this storm could be substantial, and if it comes in wet and thick it will be the base we need.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

A shot up Tioga from Sunday 12/7/14

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Just out of Lake Sabrina, Bishop Creek drainage. Picture Peak is the nice looking shot just left of center in the middleground. Mt Haeckel is in the background, right side skyline. En route to Mt. Powell and Echo Col.

EDIT: I wasn't on that trip, but have camped out there and marveled at that shot.
    Nailed it. That area is awesome (the entire Evolution Range is).

AKB - Thanks for starting this thread. Hoping for good coverage in the Eastside this year, particularly in the Spring with a fat snowpack.

We're having a book signing and general stoke party tomorrow night.

December 13th
    Mammoth Mountaineering Supply
    7pm

Be there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10682440_10205243838198059_443787257213023699_o.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	161378

Bradley??? Whaaaa.......

So what's up down south d?
    Game on?
    Pre-game on?

Perused a copy of yer new book n got one ordered for myself
    Great stuff+++++

Red Cone Bowl yesterday wasn't too bad... Mammoth in the background! Another 12-18" last night up there. Which puts the ridge right before the bowl at about 3-4' depth.... Still looow tide down below George's HW though :yikes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1418754599.404920.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	809.1 KB 
ID:	161519

Nice! Good to hear at least the higher stuff in the Eastern Sierra is getting snow. Hopefully the lower elevation approaches will fill in soon.

Weather pending, I might do a day trip to hit something between Lundy and June this weekend.

how are things doing down there? tahoe has good high elevation pack but just ended the last series of storms with a rainy mist that turned everything to shit. thinking about heading down there tomorrow and the next day. any touring worth doing? if we go we'll likely be staging out of the bishop area with some climbing in the gorge.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.