Thread: Used Ripley?

Used Ripley?

Considering buying a demo Ripley with XT build/XFusion Trance RL2/Stan's ZTR EX wheels to replace my 2003 Titus Racer X for my XC riding. Test rode it and found it climbed really well and handled OK descending. May have a chance to pick up for about $3000.

Questions:

Any Ripley owners have issues?

Is there anything I need to 2x check before pulling the trigger?

Thanks

Only issues with the frame are to make sure you get the stainless protection sleeve for the steerer tube, which protects against the cables rubbing a groove into the steerer inside the head tube. Ibis provides it free if this is an early frame that didn't come with one. Also, there's a "cable dice" guide block that cleans up the cable routing well - mounts near the top of the rear shock. It's about $10, if the bike doesn't have one.

So, other than weird cable routing issues, no other complaints here. I really like this bike, but YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The Ripley is a great, great bike for XC riding. So, naturally, I put a 140 mm Pike on the front, industry i9 wheels, a 1x11 (28 tooth chainring because Marin fire roads are absurdly steep), and Hans Dampf tires. It still climbs like a beast and is efficient on flats/any road riding you have to do to get to the trail. The Pike makes it so, so much better on the downhills without really making climbing any more difficult. I really, really, really like the efficiency of the bike, even compared to other bikes in the Ibis lineup (HDR).

The cable dice are supposed to get rid of some of the noises that the bike can make during suspension compression. I've ridden a demo ripley without the cable dice, and my bike has the dice. I don't notice a difference, but that's not to say don't get the dice.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post
    The Ripley is a great, great bike for XC riding. So, naturally, I put a 140 mm Pike on the front, industry i9 wheels, a 1x11 (28 tooth chainring because Marin fire roads are absurdly steep), and Hans Dampf tires. It still climbs like a beast and is efficient on flats/any road riding you have to do to get to the trail.
    Thanks to you both. Glad to se the quoted language - a typical ride would be riding 2 miles to Ross/Phoenix Lake, then up Eldridge Grade or do the China Camp loop (that's where I tested it). Ripley rolls much faster & smoother than my Racer X. I'm not sure if faster and smoother is more "fun," but a 120-140mm 29er seems to be the evolutionary successor to the 4-5" travel 26" wheeled XC FS bikes from 10-12 years ago.

I've got a Ripley with the XO1 kit, Pike 140, CC DB Inline, and KS Lev dropper. The only thing I'd like to upgrade is the standard Stan's wheelset, hopefully to an Ibis 941 set at some point in the future, and probably swap out the XC-oriented stock tires (NN and RR).

This bike absolutely kills it both up and downhill for me. It's crazy efficient for climbing with lots of traction, but it's also super maneuverable (dare I say nimble?) and has plenty of squish for my purposes. The 140 Pike slacks out the HA just a bit, which gives it a nice stable feel on the downhills and drops. I took it to Moab a few weeks ago and it felt perfect on HyMassa and Captain Ahab/Pothole Arch, never worried about going over the bars. My last bike was a SC Bronson C, and I don't miss it at all.

If you hang around MTBR you'll see concerns about Ripleys making creaking noises. My understanding is that this was an issue with earlier iterations and it's been worked out - I demo'd one last year that creaked, but mine has been silent to date (about 4 months of riding). If the one you're buying is older, then just make sure the shop will support you if you aren't keen on tracking down noises. From the build you're describing, it sounds like a "Special Blend" kit that got a few upgrades. FYI those sell for around $3900 at retail.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

i think you should get it and then decide you like your OG cro/moly frame better and sell me the Ripley cheap-
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I rode one for a good portion of 2014. Fast bike. Couple questions...

1) How big are you?
    2) Previous bike?
    3) How do you ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    I've got a Ripley with the XO1 kit, Pike 140, CC DB Inline, and KS Lev dropper. The only thing I'd like to upgrade is the standard Stan's wheelset, hopefully to an Ibis 941 set at some point in the future, and probably swap out the XC-oriented stock tires (NN and RR).

This bike absolutely kills it both up and downhill for me. It's crazy efficient for climbing with lots of traction, but it's also super maneuverable (dare I say nimble?) and has plenty of squish for my purposes. The 140 Pike slacks out the HA just a bit, which gives it a nice stable feel on the downhills and drops. I took it to Moab a few weeks ago and it felt perfect on HyMassa and Captain Ahab/Pothole Arch, never worried about going over the bars. My last bike was a SC Bronson C, and I don't miss it at all.

If you hang around MTBR you'll see concerns about Ripleys making creaking noises. My understanding is that this was an issue with earlier iterations and it's been worked out - I demo'd one last year that creaked, but mine has been silent to date (about 4 months of riding). If the one you're buying is older, then just make sure the shop will support you if you aren't keen on tracking down noises. From the build you're describing, it sounds like a "Special Blend" kit that got a few upgrades. FYI those sell for around $3900 at retail.
    Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate the price info, too. I saw the spec and one I rode was all XT with the Lev dropper so my more main concern would be wheels and fork. The shock was the Fox CTD Kashima. Guessing I might get it for around $5500 new on sale but probably not $4K. This particular bike I rode was very quiet.

I have a friend in Denver selling a DIALED large ripley, if that demo doesn't float your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    I rode one for a good portion of 2014. Fast bike. Couple questions...

1) How big are you?
    2) Previous bike?
    3) How do you ride?
    6'1"; 170; ~33 inseam; relatively normal torso and arms.

Titus Racer X; large; ~24" TT; 100mm stem. Tested an XL Ripley with a ~70mm stem and it seemed good. Both bikes were initially set up with saddle about 1" higher than bars at top position.

Ride XC in Marin/NorCal. Ex: Mt. Tam fire roads, Annadel, China Camp, Tamarancho, Rockville. Don't have too many drops or super-tech sections. Ride a few days in Tahoe or Downieville a year, but not enough to really warrant a more AM vs. XC set-up. Have a few years and miles on me since riding Downieville or Hole in the Ground in '99 on a Klein HT). Not a basher.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    i think you should get it and then decide you like your OG cro/moly frame better and sell me the Ripley cheap-
    Nice. Hey, you already have my former carbon Look. How many hours you have on that set-up by now?

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Nice. Hey, you already have my former carbon Look. How many hours you have on that set-up by now?
    barely got a dozen rides in on it last summer...too much golf, hiking and boating! But still dig it, the Record 9-speed stuff works really well on it...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

6'1"; 170; ~33 inseam; relatively normal torso and arms.

Titus Racer X; large; ~24" TT; 100mm stem. Tested an XL Ripley with a ~70mm stem and it seemed good. Both bikes were initially set up with saddle about 1" higher than bars at top position.

Ride XC in Marin/NorCal. Ex: Mt. Tam fire roads, Annadel, China Camp, Tamarancho, Rockville. Don't have too many drops or super-tech sections. Ride a few days in Tahoe or Downieville a year, but not enough to really warrant a more AM vs. XC set-up. Have a few years and miles on me since riding Downieville or Hole in the Ground in '99 on a Klein HT). Not a basher.
    Okay - this helps.

My honest opinion is that frame is awesome for the right rider, and leaves a lot to be desired for the wrong rider...

However, you sound like the former. You are just light enough to not overly flex the frame and what you are looking to get out of the bike (XC, smoother less gnarly stuff) it will do in spades.

I pushed it well beyond its 'intended use' with mixed results. Mostly because I'm just a bit too big (heavy) for the frame.

I would most *certainly* run a 50-60mm stem, 140mm fork and even consider an works headset to slacken it slightly more (I did). Also, carbon wheels (the Ibis house brand) really help keep the bike holding a line better (though may transfer more of the stress to the eccentric system)...

J

Thanks to you both. Glad to se the quoted language - a typical ride would be riding 2 miles to Ross/Phoenix Lake, then up Eldridge Grade or do the China Camp loop...
    Glad to see another bike-to-the-trailhead norcal rider. I routinely ride 3 miles (to the headlands) or 8 miles (to Tam) on pavement to get to dirt, and my rides are usually 30-40% pavement. I almost went the cyclocross route, but found the Ripley to be efficient enough on the way to the fun stuff for my purposes.