Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Steamboat Riding?

I'm thinking about buying some property up around Steamboat to eventually build a vacation house... what's the riding like in the area? I've only ridden up there once, and that was like 10 years ago and it was only at the resort. Are there enough options around town (within 20-30 minutes of the Boat is fine) to keep me occupied and happy?

Google Emerald Mountain. The answer to your question is yes. Fruita is not far either.

Winter park close too. Gods country.

Quote Originally Posted by gmerz View Post
    Google Emerald Mountain. The answer to your question is yes. Fruita is not far either.
    Fruita? I said 20-30 minutes, not four hours.

I mean specifically around Steamboat.... not Winter Park, not Vail, etc. Emerald Mtn looks pretty nice, that's where the Stinger is held (partially), right?

They've put a ton of money into mtn biking recently... between emerald, the resort, and adjacent areas, I've heard it's great. Not sure what sort of variety they have. We have a weekend trip on our short list, but haven't made it happen yet.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Fruita? I said 20-30 minutes, not four hours.

I mean specifically around Steamboat.... not Winter Park, not Vail, etc. Emerald Mtn looks pretty nice, that's where the Stinger is held (partially), right?
    The Stinger is held on Emerald.

Edit now that I'm not on my phone.

I just moved from there.

They have a decent list of trails in the queue over the next 10 years due to lodging tax money. This includes some (one?) directional trail on Emerald and the development of some trails on Rabbit Ears. They are in a good spot as they have the $$ and the new forest service POC is very aware that the Routt National Forest is under-utilized wrt recreation.

At this point lots of mileage, little rock. Going to make 2 fun bootleg trails legit next season (good/bad in that).

The ski area is building trails designed by Gravity Logic and seem to be all about growing the biking in the summer (with the exclusion of being flexible for bike events).

Riding from your house and Steamboat summers are fantastic.
    Last edited by skiergirl; 12-09-2014 at 08:22 PM.

I think the riding is great in the Steamboat area...

Tons of riding up there. Emerald right from town. Hot Springs/Lower Bear/Mad Creek/Red Dirt. Tons of stuff north of town once snow melts. After living there and then spending a week or 2 each year up there since, I have never gotten bored and always wanted more time to explore.

^^^ Awesome, exactly what I wanted to hear Stapes and Skiergirl.

Steve,
    This trail head is only 5 miles from the area you are possibly looking at and it is a must do when it is dry. We rode it twice this past summer and looking forward to next year already.
    http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb...ings-colorado/

We went up there early this summer and I was pretty blown away with the quality of riding. Back side of Emerald had some really nice, trails, one was a flow with jumps and stuff. We also rode out by the hot springs and out to Mad Creek(?) that was pretty nice too. We'll be going back regularly, especially if they keep building trails.

It's been mentioned already, but they have a lodging tax that is expected to generate $600,000 a year to be put toward becoming "Bike Town USA". $6 Million in total.

I've never liked Steamboat in the winter, but summers are great up there.

Quote Originally Posted by danadog View Post
    Steve,
    This trail head is only 5 miles from the area you are possibly looking at and it is a must do when it is dry. We rode it twice this past summer and looking forward to next year already.
    http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb...ings-colorado/
    I didn't know you posted on here anymore.

We'll definitely be doing that ride next summer.

[QUOTE=smmokan;4374712]I didn't know you posted on here anymore.

More lurking than posting but still around.

I've never been more scared on a mt bike than I was on Fish Creek Falls, if that's your thing. I did that shuttle that danadog posted and it was an amazing day, but FCF stole all my mojo, I'm just not good enough to ride that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

No Fish Creek Falls? No care.

I love that fuckin' trail.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

It's a super awesome trail, well worthy of serious love. You just have to be good enough to ride it (or just think you are). I'm not. I thought I was, but after the 3rd endo I was too tweaked to ride the harder spots.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I've never been more scared on a mt bike than I was on Fish Creek Falls, if that's your thing. I did that shuttle that danadog posted and it was an amazing day, but FCF stole all my mojo, I'm just not good enough to ride that.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    No Fish Creek Falls? No care.

I love that fuckin' trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It's a super awesome trail, well worthy of serious love. You just have to be good enough to ride it (or just think you are). I'm not. I thought I was, but after the 3rd endo I was too tweaked to ride the harder spots.
    When we started riding stuff like that in 1987 it seemed super scary but the bikes we were riding really didn't belong on trails like that. The last time I rode there in the fall of 1995 it didn't seem too bad at all. So much great riding within ~30 minutes of that town...

I miss riding in Steamboat
    Last edited by gravitylover; 08-26-2015 at 08:19 PM.

Any Steamboat mags got beta on current conditions? Coming down from Jackson and riding Saturday and then Sunday morning before cheering the GF on in the marathon. Is the Divide trail snow-free yet? Can you hitch up there w/a bike?

And anybody who wants to ride...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Hey Dunfee, PM Danadog... he's a good guy who's up in that area pretty frequently (he has a place just east of Rabbit Ears). He can hook you up with trail beta and he's a fun guy to ride with too.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Hey Dunfee, PM Danadog... he's a good guy who's up in that area pretty frequently (he has a place just east of Rabbit Ears). He can hook you up with trail beta and he's a fun guy to ride with too.
    Will do!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Dunfee,
    I just responded to your PM. Hit me up with any questions.
    Enjoy the boat.
    Smmoken,
    Let's find a weekend to head up and ride this summer once the pass is dry.

Quote Originally Posted by danadog View Post
    Dunfee,
    I just responded to your PM. Hit me up with any questions.
    Enjoy the boat.
    Smmoken,
    Let's find a weekend to head up and ride this summer once the pass is dry.
    Thanks dd! I'll give you a shout once we're in the car...

Bump. Making my way down to steamboat for the weekend. Really want to hit that route on the link, but prob can't make happen. Time, solo, etc. Any recommendations for around town? Sounds like emerald is the go to, anything specific? Have sat to ride and I'm guessing trails are gonna be much more crowded than here in Montana. I like more technical trails around bozeman and fish creek sounds fun but is if good for an out and back? Not much of a xc guy either. Any advice helps. Thanks guys

あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"