Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Steamboat Riding?

There's a few off-the-grid shuttle trails off Buff Pass too, that you might be able to dig up info on. Pretty damn fun. They'll be sanctioned USFS trails in another year or two - still a bit of beauracracy to get through.

Ended up being lazy and am hitting resort. Lots of "flow" trails, but still pretty fun. However the only trail listed as "tech" , rawhide, was fun as shit even with pinch flatting. I'll have to make sure next time I hit that shuttle from the pass to fcf.

Wondering what the timing is for dry trails in a typical spring? I have a condo for a week that I need to use in spring/early summer, the rest of the group wants to do early June. Too early?

I've had success mid June (15th?) on a season with substantial snowpack and stuff had been dry for a while. Steamboat melts out earlier than some mountain destinations due to lower valley elevation. Not all trails are open, some one the backside of Emerald are closed for elk migration, and the higher up stuff on Rabbit ears is still mud/snow, but there was a pretty good amount open. We rode Emerald trails, and stuff out of Strawberry, Mad Creek, etc. ETA the lift served was open then too.

Disclaimer - this is based on my experiences in the last 4 years.
    Edit - Same thing Shredgnar said...

A decent amount of the local after work stuff (so, non-epic) seems good in May-June. Emerald (trails in town) is usually decently clear by Memorial Day. There are a couple elk closures (Beall for one) that go through June. As far as riding on the mountain - Mid-June is a maybe. Rabbit Ears and Buff Pass - July. They're having a solid snow year...

Steamboat in the summer is freaking fun and town generally isn't nuts until July 4th. You could day trip down to Eagle to check out their trails if you haven't been.

How are the trails shaping up this year? Weather looks wet and cool out that way. I'll be there from June 8th-14th. What are the must do rides that will be dry? My wife wants to know what the best hikes are within an hours drive. Best brewpub in town? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    How are the trails shaping up this year? Weather looks wet and cool out that way. I'll be there from June 8th-14th. What are the must do rides that will be dry? My wife wants to know what the best hikes are within an hours drive. Best brewpub in town? Thanks in advance!
    Best brewbub:

http://www.thebarleycolorado.com/

Up on Rabbit Ears Pass the hike up to the actual Rabbit Ears is very scenic. About 5 miles out and back with the last half mile out and first half mile back pretty steep. Dumont Lake turnoff on 40.

Only rode one bike park trail and then Emerald Mountain while down there to spectate the fiancées marathon. Emerald has some really really fun fast flowy bobsled descents with loads of natural berms and little transitions. I think we rode Lupine up (felt like I blacked out the climb was so long and flat) and then rode Blair Witch (or was it stairway to heaven?) to MGM to Orton. We kind of forgot how long we'd been climbing so it felt like a nice long descent.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

This makes me want to go back to CO for the summer

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be there a week so I should have time to fit a lot in.

Anybody have anything good or bad to say about this ride:
    http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5652...-creek-shuttle

I rode Morning Gloria to NPR with a lot of connectors in between this morning and that was pretty fun.

So we rode the first part of that ride that I linked above. It's called Scott's run on trailforks. We did it as an out and back as the higher stuff on the loop was wet. The downhill back to the car was a ripping good time.