Looking for an 8/9wt

Going down to south Florida at Christmas and thinking of bringing a fly rod. Curious to know if anyone has a cheap 8/9wt rod/reel they're looking to get rid of. Staying with the in-laws so I figure I'll need an excuse for some down time. Please help me, for god's sake.

I don't know what cheap is to you, but I only use a beefy rod 5 to 8 times a year so I didn't want to drop a lot of coin. I bought a Redington outfit and am happy with it.
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/red...8-9wt~p~6538d/

Could do a lot worse than this http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-ca...TFO0015-S8WEIA
    Or buy the Redington and help my paycheck

That looks like a pretty fair deal. I don't anticipate fishing anything meatier than a 5wt more than a handful of times per year, so spending more than a couple hundred doesn't add up. Curious to see if anyone has anything used before pulling the trigger....

not gonna find anything cheaper than that used...

I'd suggest buying one of these in 11 wt
    http://www.beulahflyrods.com/fly-fis...ater-fly-rods/

then spend a lot of your life trying to find fish that are worth catching on an 11 wt.

seriously

(or get the 9, which is useful all over the country)
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I am not sure that $620 is "cheap", but those are nice rods. Have you used one?

I have a Redington Vapen 9wt I could let go. $150+shipping, which is what I have into it. No real use for this in my quiver. It looks like it's been cast, but just a few times. No scuffs or scratches that I can find. Comes with a sock and tube.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Interested but what's the deal with that grip? Checked the Redington site and it shows a polymer wrap over a cork grip? Does that come off? If not, how does it handle when it gets wet?

It's Winn material, if you're familiar with Golf Club grips, It's engineered to be super grippy when wet or slimy. I fish them a lot and like them, especially in situations where you cast a ton ie streamer chucking. Hand doesn't get as sore. Though we make a cork version as well so BS may way to confirm.

You could score a closeout Xi3 for much less than an Opal.

^^More importantly, he could get an Xi3 for much less than a Salt.

Anyway, yeah, the Winn grips are awesome. Mine, however, is the standard Vapen with a cork grip.

Edit: I suppose we could discuss a Lamson 3.5 Litespeed with backing or a Speedster 4, if you're interested.
    Last edited by BS720; 12-18-2014 at 03:44 AM.

He could, but the Salt is exponentially better casting

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    He could, but the Salt is exponentially better casting
    How does the motive compare to the salt? Not that I am planning on dumping my motive for a salt (yet)
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Salt has a stiffer tip and bends deeper but with a wicked fast recovery. We call it a 'Salt Action' rod because it loads up extremely quick when you get a surprise/close shot without sacrificing being a fast rod. It's really nice for a hack like me without a real powerful casting stroke. I fished them for a week in the Keys last May and really dug them

i got a loop cross s1 8wt with a broken tip and the warrenty card for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I have a gear problem and I am planning on dumping my motive for a salt
    I could probably help you find a home for that motive

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I could probably help you find a home for that motive
    Ha only if I can get a Salt for the price I procured the Motive! And yes, my nam is Lee and I have a gear addiction.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I really wasn't a fan of the Salt. Haven't spent that much time with it, but did parking lot cast offs with the Salt and the Method. The Method is the best rod I've ever cast. Two false casts and 100'. Easy. Salt just wasn't there for me. Not enough backbone. Maybe I was lined wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    I really wasn't a fan of the Salt. Haven't spent that much time with it, but did parking lot cast offs with the Salt and the Method. The Method is the best rod I've ever cast. Two false casts and 100'. Easy. Salt just wasn't there for me. Not enough backbone. Maybe I was lined wrong?
    Was the method over lined? I read some shootout where they highly recommended doing that. It was an 8wt shootout where the 7wt with an 8wt line did really well.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Ha, how many SW shots are at 100'?
    The Method is a sweet fast rod, much nicer than the TCX, I don't over line it at all in trout or SW sizes, though I'm not a big powerful guy so the Salt works better for me.

Every cast when you're fishing the surf is 100'. I'd love to be on a skiff every day, but I'm not. I live two blocks from the beach. That said, the ability to get a fly 50' with one or two flicks is highly desired. The Method put a grin on my face. I'm not shitting on the Salt, it just wasn't my favorite.

Yeah, so, neither Rod was over lined. Both were 7wt with 7wt floaters. I'd love to fish both head to head with shooting heads.

best thing about the method is the color of the finish

The Method finish is jackworthy. Honestly, If I had a fuckton of money, I'd be casting the method and salt in all weights and sizes, and all conditions.

this is that 8wt shootout I was referring to

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...rod-comparison