Participants Wanted for Study of GPS Tracks in Avy Terrain

I was just forwarded sign-up information for a participant study of travel behavior in avalanche terrain.
    Now of course NSA is already tracking you even when you ski in the backcountry, but these avy researchers apparently aren't able to access that database, so they're seeking active participants.

I've copied some information below, with links to their ISSW paper and the sign-up info sheet.

[Important disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about this study other than the information copied and linked below, so if you have any q's, pls ask the researchers, not me.]

"Understanding Travel Behavior in Avalanche Terrain: A Crowd-Sourced Approach"

Overview

This project (download ISSW article here) aims to collect GPS location information and survey responses from backcountry skiers and riders to better understand what types of terrain decision we make. Our focus is on backcountry skiers and riders of all abilities and experience. You need not be an expert backcountry skier to participate in this research.

Participation

If you are interested in taking part in this project and sharing your GPS ski track information and responding to a few simple questions, then follow the easy steps on this Word file.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Bump for an interesting idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Fly me out, bud
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

these MSU avy researchers should sign up over at Strava and data mine the shit-ton volumes worth of "GPS tracks in Avy Terrain". quite positive that a few of those Strava folks would be willing to participate / give feedback, if asked. shoot, there is a master thesis just waitin' to be written over here based on Wasatch data alone. FTR, I've been a contributor to and also follow at least 2-dozen Wasatch skimo players / tourons on Strava for the past few years. most users use Garmin and or SUunto GPS/HRM watches.

having said thus, how about performing a psychosocial stress test using biomarkers, maybe something like the Trier social stress test. maybe avy researchers could change the focus from "heuristics" to anticipatory stress (acute stress and cognitive demand) and how it intereferes with utilitarian judgement/decision making during backcountry travel.

two biomarkers you could run with for this test: heart rate and cortisol. Heart rate would be associated with the sympathetic andrenomedullary system, fast-reacting neural path response. Cortisol reactions would be associated with the slower hypothalamus pituitary adrenal axis.

now for a very generalized methodology. recruit the research subjects from the Strava skimo/touron user pool. as stated above these folks are already equipped with GPS and HRM. add to their kit a saliva sample kit. cut 'em loose in the Wasatch sheep's pen. sample saliva on a pre-determined intervals. add a simple hind-sight questionnaire, possibly to be completed shortly thereafter any bowel moving experiences or heightened state of awareness (you know, like that collective 'oh shit' moment, when, say the last man down whumpffs the entire mountain side after group-deciding it [the slope] to be safe).

crunch the data.

learn that it is most likely anticipatory stress ( acute stress and cognitive demand) that inhibits cognitive control which is necessary in overriding initial emotional responses that ultimately results in poor [flawed] use of heuristics, if left unchecked.
    style matters...