Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Might be a different strokes thing but the more upright stance on my carbon ti's threw me in the backseat , kept me from driving the tips consistently/intuitively, and I wasn't able to pivot as quickly in comparison to my lupo sp's (oops not kr's)

Heal lift helped.
    Was a big heavy pow day, so there was a lot of butt dropping on Saturday. Also, been really warm, so who knows.
    Still getting used to the different boot. Never had a 3 piece before.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I have been running the KR 2 pro (in the most upright cuff configuration) as my alpine boot for a few years with good results, but have never skied a Lupo. Could I get the Lupo Carbon to be roughly as upright as the KR2? Also, has anyone done major punching to the Carbon? I downsized in my KR 2 pros for optimal fit, but required a massive big toe punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I have been running the KR 2 pro (in the most upright cuff configuration) as my alpine boot for a few years with good results, but have never skied a Lupo. Could I get the Lupo Carbon to be roughly as upright as the KR2? Also, has anyone done major punching to the Carbon? I downsized in my KR 2 pros for optimal fit, but required a massive big toe punch.
    I have both. Upright position in your kr is same as carbon ti
    No idea on punching. They made these boots for me apparently. I've been using my plusher intuition wrap liner(from my full tilts) in my kr2 sp. I put the buckles on the first ladder with the instep and front buckle and on the second ladder at the top , all with ez fastening and they're perfect. With my carbon ti, it has a touring tongue liner so I had to put a bontex shim the length of the boot board and I move the buckles up on wrung on the ladders. Today I finally tried ythe wrap liner in my carbon ti and the boots are identical. I had to take the bontex shim out and moved all the buckles back one wrung so same as kr2 sp. such a great boot. I'll keep my kr2 sp. I just can't part with them

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I have both. Upright position in your kr is same as carbon ti
    No idea on punching. They made these boots for me apparently. I've been using my plusher intuition wrap liner(from my full tilts) in my kr2 sp. I put the buckles on the first ladder with the instep and front buckle and on the second ladder at the top , all with ez fastening and they're perfect. With my carbon ti, it has a touring tongue liner so I had to put a bontex shim the length of the boot board and I move the buckles up on wrung on the ladders. Today I finally tried ythe wrap liner in my carbon ti and the boots are identical. I had to take the bontex shim out and moved all the buckles back one wrung so same as kr2 sp. such a great boot. I'll keep my kr2 sp. I just can't part with them
    That you for sharing your experience! That's exactly the comparison I would have done

I haven't heard many reports of reviews in regards to touring extensively with the Carbon TI. For me, that means ~4-6k vertical feet in a day. I sort of dismissed them initially because the buckles and tongue removal system seemed a little clunky and inefficient for touring. I'm currently running Mercuries where the tongue swapping is a pain, and these seem potentially more clunky in that regard. However, there is something to be said for an awesome walk mode on the way up and a stiff boot on the way down. Also, I find the fit and responsiveness of the Mercuries to be lackluster compared to my KR 2s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    That you for sharing your experience! That's exactly the comparison I would have done

I haven't heard many reports of reviews in regards to touring extensively with the Carbon TI. For me, that means ~4-6k vertical feet in a day. I sort of dismissed them initially because the buckles and tongue removal system seemed a little clunky and inefficient for touring. I'm currently running Mercuries where the tongue swapping is a pain, and these seem potentially more clunky in that regard. However, there is something to be said for an awesome walk mode on the way up and a stiff boot on the way down. Also, I find the fit and responsiveness of the Mercuries to be lackluster compared to my KR 2s.
    Ya if you didn't have to remove the tongues they'd be perfection. They ski so well though. I'm getting pretty quick with my system now for the tongues. Hands got cold the first day but good now

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Interesting that both you (stuckathuntermtn) and Breomonkey are experiencing back pain. This can be tricky, bit I think you'll find a stance that you're comfortable with. I never tried on last year's Lupos however, but I doubt that they're more upright than this year's Langes.

My short list of boots this year was the current year Lupo TI ID Carbon, Lange XT-130 Freetour, and Cochise 130. In order of upright (from most upright to least), I found it to be the Langes, followed by the Cochises, and finally (most forward) the Lupos.

This upright stance was a new feeling for me, but I sensed that I'd better take advantage of modern skis. The two best fits were the Lange and Lupo, and I chose the Langes. I could have gone either way and have been happy.

It took me a couple of days to get a feel for the new stance, but now, it feels normal. I definitely notice that my quads don't tire out as quickly. Our backs are like snowpacks however - they can be tender, and they don't like sudden changes. Ask me how I know ;-)

Note that I'm the kind of person who likes his GPOs mounted at -1cm (fairly traditional skier).

... Thom
    For you who struggle with upright stance. Have you tried to put "Adjustable Twin Cuff Alignment" to the lowest setting on both inside and outside? That could increase the forward lean a bit.
    I have considered to glue a shim under the "Ski/Hike Mechanism" to increase forward lean since my leg muscles are in the slender side..

I don't fuck with the cuff alignment.
    Heel lift under the liner helped a bit.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

These came in today....

Will try and skin a bit tomorrow... not as light as some of the competitors but it feels like a nice boot
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    These came in today....

Will try and skin a bit tomorrow... not as light as some of the competitors but it feels like a nice boot
    I was supposed to take part in the trying boots thingy but the forgot a layer in the liner (the ultralon) so I backed out =(

you don't need to try it

just enjoy the krypton flex

I don't fuck with the cuff alignment.
    Heel lift under the liner helped a bit.
    Could you elaborate that first part? (I've been using heel lift wedges under my Strolz liners for many years to minimize vertical movement)
    I suspect some skiers are not aware that the forward lean can be adjusted. In several settings on the Kryptons, but for some reason this seems to have been limited to only 2 settings on the Lupo range. It makes a huge difference for how they fit my calfs.. Wrong setting and it feels as I ski in walk-mode..

Is there anyone else that (feel the) need to stiffen up the flex for warm days and GS?
    I'm around 80kg and consider myself to be a strong skier but far from pro gate basher condition. So it would surprise me if I'm the only one bummed the flex adjustments is not carried over from the Kryptons to the Lupo range!

A-tongues would be sweet for the current models since it's so easy to swap w no tool needed. But I guess that's utopia since I've not managed to find any for my Kryptons and Lupo TI's

Had my first day walking in my Carbon TIs yesterday coming from a decade of touring in alpine boots and frame bindings, all I have to say is wow. Without the tongue they skin phenomenally, with the tongue there is definitely less forward ROM and a bit less rearward ROM but still very good on the uphill. Even with my limited experience the transition with the tongues is very quick, it takes maybe 30 seconds for both boots from buckled to tongueless and vice versa. The only downside for me is that the tongues taking up backpack room but they pretty much just take up the space my skins occupy on the way down.

I've used the Lupo TI last season and the Carbon all this season. Carbon used about 70 days so far for inbounds (lots of kicking horse and a 10 day trip to Japan) and touring (including a week trip to GAH). Its my only boot. I had vulcans and kr2s before this. I find that the removable tongue is just as annoying as the vulcan but the boot is way better for the downs. I don't think i'll use any other boot for a while. If that lupo AX125 is really 1870g as pictured above the carbon 2018 model should be just as light as the new atomic/scarpa offerings. I'm pretty stoked that there as a real 3 piece boot for touring now after suffering through recalled salomon quests, lazers, tecnicas, garmonts, maestrale RS, vulcans. None of those ever really worked great for me. If they fit you well, I highly recommend these boots.

Did you go with the same shell size as the vulcan or size down?

I wore a 26 Vulcan and a 26 KR2. I got the 26 Lupo TI/ TI Carbon.

Anyone know the forward lean of the Lupo TI? Manufacturer doesn't say.

I'm a sz 27 Vulcan. I'm in a sz 27 Lupo AX120 but suspect I'd be ok in a sz 26. BSL for Vulcan is 304. BSL for Lupo is 317

Hey Lee,

I couldn't find any stated angle on the forward lean for these in the tech manuals I have. Too me they "feel" the same as the narrow wedge in my Kr2. Also I would be wary of squeezing into the 26 AX. My vulcan 26 were a 294mm and my lupo are a 307. Pretty different design on the toe and heel between those two boots. One made for touring (short and rockered) and the other based of a ski hill boot (longer and much less rocker). I really like my Lupo's, it will be interesting to see what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    Hey Lee,

I couldn't find any stated angle on the forward lean for these in the tech manuals I have. Too me they "feel" the same as the narrow wedge in my Kr2. Also I would be wary of squeezing into the 26 AX. My vulcan 26 were a 294mm and my lupo are a 307. Pretty different design on the toe and heel between those two boots. One made for touring (short and rockered) and the other based of a ski hill boot (longer and much less rocker). I really like my Lupo's, it will be interesting to see what you think.
    Thx. There aren't too many around to try a sz 26. I am making the 27 work with a medium Volume Protour. Measured the Lupo Ax 120 at 15 deg but that's measured by hand. Sure a smooth flexing boot. I forgot how nice and smooth the flex is with the tongue boots.

I have 4 days in with the 125 AX C and they are an OK boot. They fit my foot well. 125 may be over stating the flex just a bit, but what a smooth flex it is.

At almost 1900 grams for the 26.5 I'm debating if I find a little lighter boot for next year
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I just got back from 3 days in the Chic Chocs on my Carbon T.I.s. The boots tour incredibly well IMO(used CAST SI&I) and ski well too. Definitely softer than my KR2 Pros(but I also have the stiffeners all the way up on those) but are still powerful enough to drive my JJ Zeros. Booster straps which are easy to install on the lupos, makes a world of difference. Overall, totally stoked on the boots and looking forward to another winter on them.

Has anyone been using the Carbon's new GripWalk sole in a Pivot binding platform (Dual, Cast AFD, normal)?

Quote Originally Posted by jckstein View Post
    Has anyone been using the Carbon's new GripWalk sole in a Pivot binding platform (Dual, Cast AFD, normal)?
    The grip walk sole doesn't fit quite right with the WTR bindings. I tried it with a pair of pivot dual bindings and there was some space under the sole. However, I had no issue skiing it. Fisher bindings that are grip walk compatible would be better. There's a good article on the binding and sole compatibility on blistergearreview.com

Quote Originally Posted by Skiwald View Post
    The grip walk sole doesn't fit quite right with the WTR bindings. I tried it with a pair of pivot dual bindings and there was some space under the sole. However, I had no issue skiing it. Fisher bindings that are grip walk compatible would be better. There's a good article on the binding and sole compatibility on blistergearreview.com
    Hmm thats no good. Did you try skiing it with the Dual in DIN mode?

The alpine sole or WTR sole works fine and most people I know use the gripwalk like an alpine boot. Might be based on the fact that my skis never release in the front with alpine boots either. 19/20 times it's a release in the back even if I have my bindings at 9-10 in the front and 11-12 in the back (din 16 bindings).
    I can't be alone in this.