Bunion, Bunionectomy, Foot and Toe Surgery

My poor DH (hubby) is scheduled for bunion surgery on Monday.
    He has a painful callous on the bottom of his 3rd (middle) toe too. And another one starting on the second toe (also bottom or plantar side). His dr. suggests doing a surgical procedure to relieve that painful callous and prevent it re growing. He said he would take out the knuckle and fuse his toe straight. Says this will help. This, in addition to bunionectomy with realignment but without fusion. Suggests doing the fusion on both 2nd and 3rd toes.

Here's my questions and concerns;

I looked up everything I could, could not find anything to support this toe surgery. Seems radical and very limiting for future skiing, fly fishing, biking, playing tennis. Any thoughts? Experience?

Also, should we he a refund in our season passes or will he be able to ski anytime soon? (After bunion/foot surgery)

I'm surprised there's not much on this kind of thing here on gimp central. Poor guy will be a gimp real soon! Please shed light if you can!

Quote Originally Posted by shekat View Post
    My poor DH (hubby) is scheduled for bunion surgery on Monday.
    Please shed light if you can!
    You and the hubby need to sit down with the podiatrist and talk about it...actually this is Sat and he's having surgery on Monday...you needed to have this conversation a while ago.

What your husband's lifestyle is based on, what the surgery will do for him, how it will be limiting, what he can do after the planned surgery. What alternative surgeries could be done to match the lifestyle and getting second opinions if you don't like the one's your current doc gives you.

Best you can do now is come up with list of questions and priorities and drill the doc on Monday before surgery and be prepared to cancel.

My guess is the doc will tell you skiing and other activities will be fine and the surgery will not be limiting but you really need to ask the doc.

Thanks, yes, we plan to speak with him prior to the surgery. We had his preop last week for the bunion and my dh asked about the toe pain. Dr. Checked x rays in our presence and explained his opinion on how to deal with it.
    It made sense, but afterward, we both started questioning the concept of fusion. Then, I couldn't find anything online about it. So, now we are better prepared to ask about this aspect of the surgery. So, we will. I was just wondering if anyone has had anything bunion and toe surgery experience. How the recovery goes, etc.
    His lifestyle is as active as you can get. Skis, waterskis, fly fishing, mountain biking, tennis...he's winced through years of pain, had ski boots punched out and everything possible to avoid surgery. Now, it's affecting his ability to walk without severe pain.

Having just recovered from ACL surgery, (class of 2013), I have a healthy respect for surgery and recovery. It's a beast!

I am just praying it'll help!