Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Genius. Backed.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Me too

Cool idea, I'm in.

Kickstarter needs to fire openly racist "community manager" Nicole He though, these days it's simply unacceptable.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-07-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Not a bad idea at all. Wouldn't be the worst thing to have with you. And, sorry - can you explain to me how the part about judging angle looking downslope works? I didn't follow.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Backed it also... kind of bummed I put it off a bit due to lack of Kickstarter account, so I missed out on the early backer packages. I have a compass that can do this as well, but this seems like an easier to do on the fly solution.

I'm curious as to a geometric explanation of how it works. I've been trying to puzzle it out myself, and I keep thinking that you'd have to arrange things such that there'd be a 0* mark on the horizon, and that it'd have to be a fixed distance from your eye... but I'm not an engineer.

Cool idea but seems very inaccurate, especially in a situation where you can't see the horizon. Can't hurt to have it but I'd verify anything above about 25 degrees.

Thumbs up

Thanks y'all! Great to see the enthusiastic comments. And the buy-in on Kickstarter has been fantastic so far!

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Not a bad idea at all. Wouldn't be the worst thing to have with you. And, sorry - can you explain to me how the part about judging angle looking downslope works? I didn't follow.
    Check out the use instructions page and see if that helps you understand. If not, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I'm curious as to a geometric explanation of how it works. I've been trying to puzzle it out myself, and I keep thinking that you'd have to arrange things such that there'd be a 0* mark on the horizon, and that it'd have to be a fixed distance from your eye... but I'm not an engineer.
    There's some interesting details (buried in some verbose language) on my about page, specifically in the "Mathemagical Trickery" section. See if that helps shed some light on things for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Cool idea but seems very inaccurate, especially in a situation where you can't see the horizon. Can't hurt to have it but I'd verify anything above about 25 degrees.
    The horizon has nothing to do with it. Just hold your pole with a loose grip from the top of the handle, and gravity will ensure that it hangs vertical. That provides the reference that PoleClinometer needs to work. And it's more accurate than you might think. With just a little practice, you should be able to get readings good to about 2 or 3 degrees.

Note that wind can wreak havoc with this. So if you plan to be taking slope angle measurements from windy ridgetops on a regular basis, you'll definitely want a 2nd device (which I think is a good idea anyway). I have some comments about this on my FAQs page.
    Last edited by grayson; 12-08-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Backed. Great idea.

Aren't we not supposed to be having our phones on in the b/c anyway?

I get the Idea and I think it's interesting, and why not -- but it's such a small visual field that readings would be really subjective and so variable that I wonder about it's usefulness... but it's beautifully low tech and a cool idea. I have a BD pole with the little level on it and the whole pole is sighted on the slope which make the visual better, but the scale on the micro level is unreadable
    you know there ain't no devil,
    there's just God when he's drunk---- Tom Waits

Quote Originally Posted by daviski View Post
    I get the Idea and I think it's interesting, and why not -- but it's such a small visual field that readings would be really subjective and so variable that I wonder about it's usefulness... but it's beautifully low tech and a cool idea.
    All I can say is try it; you might be surprised. It's really not subjective at all. Most folks can get readings accurate to about 2 or 3 degrees with very little practice.

Quote Originally Posted by daviski View Post
    I have a BD pole with the little level on it and the whole pole is sighted on the slope which make the visual better, but the scale on the micro level is unreadable
    I'm familiar with the K2 pole series that has the bubble-level type inclinometer built into the grip, but wasn't aware BD had anything like that. Pretty sure K2 patented that actually. Maybe BD found a way around the patent? Can you tell me what specific model of pole you have? Just curious.

In any case, your point about the little bubble level being unreadable brings up an important distinction. With conventional pole inclinometers, you use the pole as your SIGHTING reference, and the inclinometer has an internal GRAVITY reference, then you must read the display that indicates the angle between the two, which is often difficult to see while you're simultaneously sighting across or down the pole. With PoleClinometer, your pole is the GRAVITY reference, and your line-of-sight itself is the SIGHTING reference, and the "display" is simply inherent in how the lines on PoleClinometer look in your line-of-sight.

It's really quite slick, and is quite a leap forward in getting ridiculously quick and easy measurements of slope angle by line-of-sight. I still think it's a good idea to carry a more conventional slope meter (like inclinometer-equipped compass, smartphone app, etc) in addition to PoleClinometer, for reasons I describe in my FAQs page. But PoleClinometer is so quick and easy to use, you'll find yourself taking slope angle measurements much more often, which can make a big difference.

Digital readout gizmo in the top of the pole handle would be better.

i'm usually pretty good w/ 3d stuff, but i'm not following the downhill siting either

between
    holding the pole at different locations relative to your eye and the slope
    and
    slope surfaces not being even or planar

i'm having a hard time seeing how it works consistently

can you explain further?
    maybe i just need to try it out...

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    can you explain further?
    Um, OK. Try reading the use instructions (if you haven't already), and then read the about page. The "Mathemagical Trickery" section in particular includes an image and some text describing some of the math behind it. The text is rather verbose and somewhat handwavy, but it (and the image in particular) might help you visualize some of the theory behind how it actually works.

Basically each "line" on PoleClinometer represents the intersection of an imaginary plane with the cylindrical surface of the sticker. When your eye is on that plane, the line appears straight. Otherwise, it appears curved. Place PoleClinometer in your line of sight when you're sighting down a slope, and the line that appears least curved is the one closest to the angle of your slope. Clear as mud?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    maybe i just need to try it out...
    Or maybe that one.

Honestly, the sighting-down-the-slope feature is something I didn't even figure out until I had already created my first prototype. I originally designed the thing for sighting across the slope. Only in playing with it did I realize that it could be used for sighting down the slope as well. And then it was like "of course!!". That's when I knew I had something really unique and useful. Add about 8 months of testing/refining/productizing/documenting (my wife would say obsessing), and here I am with a slick new product on Kickstarter.

So yes, maybe you just need to try it out.

The plane/cylinder img in the "about" helps explain it...sometimes, I just need to see/hear it again slightly differently. 😀

I threw down for it...good luck with the remaining fundraising!

Pretty clever and simple Grayson. I'll share it on FB and in our weblog tips.

What's the ultimate plan here? Will you be selling or supplying these?

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
    Leonardo Da Vinci
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    What's the ultimate plan here? Will you be selling or supplying these?
    Sorry Terry, just dug up this thread to add something and noticed I had totally missed your question. Ultimate plan is evolving even as I write this. I'm exploring some licensing opportunities among other possibilities. Stay tuned!

First independent reviews of PoleClinometer...

Final assessment from the folks at Engearment after comparing with other inclinometers?

"PoleClinometer should come on every single backcountry ski pole".

I couldn't agree more.

I know some of y'all bought in to my early-bird options on Kickstarter, and should've received your kits back in December. Been out using your PoleClinometer much? Any feedback to share? I'd love to hear it.

in, great idea!

I like it…..simple is good

Grayson, you were right, my poles withe the bubble are K2 not BD... as I said your idea looks really sleek and simple, and as you say it's not meant to be an absolute. Good luck!!
    you know there ain't no devil,
    there's just God when he's drunk---- Tom Waits

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    Are you retarded? You couldn't drum up the funds to get some stickers printed? Can't your parents lend you $50?
    Great project and worth backing. But this comment had me laughing hysterically!

2 steps ahead of you OP

http://www.gofundme.com/klzxq8
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Hello from the SIA SnowShow in Denver!
    The response to the Kickstarter, and the enthusiasm (and wise cracks) I've witnessed in this thread and elsewhere, has made it pretty clear there's enough interest to take things to the next level with this project, so I'm here at the SIA SnowShow exploring opportunities for the future of PoleClinometer. Some exciting possibilities are unfolding, so stay tuned! In the mean time...

Last chance to get your PoleClinometer for this season!
    The Kickstarter ends this Monday, and that'll be it for this season. I'm committed to making something happen for next fall, but I'm not exactly sure what that'll look like yet. So if you've considered jumping on this and haven't yet, it's now or never.

linky linky...
    PoleClinometer on Kickstarter