Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb New Kickstarter: ski pole inclinometer sticker

Just launched a Kickstarter project I thought y'all might be interested in:

PoleClinometer™ – the ski pole inclinometer sticker

It's a sticker you put on your ski pole for measuring slope angles.

Like it or blast it (or both); I know how it goes here.

Are you retarded? You couldn't drum up the funds to get some stickers printed? Can't your parents lend you $50?
    Last edited by butterscotch; 12-05-2014 at 11:36 AM.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Looks reasonable. I'm in. Will be interesting to compare to the life link inclinometer I always have in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Adski View Post
    Will be interesting to compare to the life link inclinometer I always have in my pocket.
    ...and the dozen free apps for your phone.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I trust an inclinometer more than my phone, for many reasons. Though I can't listen to dedmaus on the lifelink , so there's that going against it...

Wait, what?

Cool idea, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    Are you retarded? You couldn't drum up the funds to get some stickers printed? Can't your parents lend you $50?
    You didn't click the link and watch the video, did you? It's more involved than just a run of stickers. Not super complex, sure, but it's not a $50 investment.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I think it's a cool idea. For $8, it seems like a worthy investment!

So what's the PM schedule on this thing? When do I send you back my pole for re-calibration?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    You didn't click the link and watch the video, did you? It's more involved than just a run of stickers. Not super complex, sure, but it's not a $50 investment.
    Here's what the kickstarter page says:

Complete installation kit includes:

PoleClinometer Stickers
    (three sizes to fit all standard pole shaft diameters)
    Clear Protective Skin
    (ultra-durable heat-shrink over-wrap protection)
    Alcohol Wipes
    (to clean your dirty ski pole before applying sticker)
    Easy-to-Follow Instructions for Installation and Use
    Every backer gets a kit!
    I stand by my comments.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

and remember to clean your dirty pole

I gave this a cross-post on TAY because I think this is a useful tool. Esp. when combined with an AvySticker.

I'm a major proponent of low-tech, analog, difficult-to-fail tools in the BC. Because everything that can go wrong on a tour will.

One that fits a probe might be a good idea too. I think they're usually 11mm.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    my snoboarder friends will apply it to their dick pole, condom style.
    Are the stickers small enough?

including the heated shrink wrap?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

"will only fit 14mm, 16mm, and 18mm upper shaft diameters"

Hee hee.

"involves sliding it up from the bottom of the pole, and it might not fit over features on your pole shaft"

Snoooorkkkkkk.

Oh man you guys crack my shit up. Thanks for the laughs. Plenty of material there.

And thanks for the various positive comments too.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    I gave this a cross-post on TAY because I think this is a useful tool. Esp. when combined with an AvySticker.
    Hey, appreciate the cross-post! Out of curiosity, what's TAY? I like the look of the AvySticker! Simple analog all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by fortort View Post
    One that fits a probe might be a good idea too. I think they're usually 11mm.
    Good idea. Just two problems:
    1. On smaller diameters, it's inherently harder and harder to read, and less and less accurate. 11mm is just too slim to be effective (oh, I lobbed that one for ya).
    2. Your pole is your vertical reference, so ya gotta let it hang freely from a loose grip near the top of the pole to ensure it's vertical. Don't know how tall you are, but I don't think I could do that with an 8-foot probe unless I brought along a stepladder!

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    Here's what the kickstarter page says:
    I stand by my comments.
    Look at 0.50 to 1.00. It's quite simple and looks very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    ...and the dozen free apps for your phone.
    Many issues with phone. Battery. Hard to see in bright light. Doesn't have the virtue of simplicity.

With phones inclinometers etc, for me personally I won't use it as much as this little sticker on the pole. So, again for me, I see the appeal

Grayson when it comes time to get this going let me know and I'll get it out to Avalanche Canada to tell the subscribers

Good idea.

Better done than some of the painted/anodised on ski pole slope gauges I've seen.

Avy centers is a good idea Lee. Make a great "free slope-sticker with your donation" type thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Grayson when it comes time to get this going let me know and I'll get it out to Avalanche Canada to tell the subscribers
    Thanks Lee! It's "going" now. The Kickstarter is live and I'm pretty pleased with the initial flurry of funding. I know it won't keep up though without continuing to actively get the word out, so I appreciate your offer to pass it along to folks at Avalanche Canada for their subscribers! If you want to put them in touch with me more directly, I'm grayson (at) snowander (dotcom).

If any of you have ideas for outlets like this and want to help out, please let me know, or spread the word yourselves.

I'm also looking at putting together a flyer that anybody can print out and pin up at your local resort, bar, ski shack, whatever. If you'd like a copy, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

Avy centers is a good idea Lee. Make a great "free slope-sticker with your donation" type thing.
    That's actually a really good idea there Brit. I'll talk that over with Avalanche Canada as they're doing a fundraising campaign

I'm in
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Just backed it for 10. You sold out the 4 pack which looks like the most popular but I'll give the remaining stickers away to guides etc. I'll see if the guides here in Whistler are interested in it too.

Not singling you out butterscotch but this looks like a very good, very simple idea that will help propagate good habits. I'm reminded of my old avalanche sensei who always got me in the habit of estimating slope angles. Then he would badger me to wear a compass with clinometer around my neck to check my estimates. How I miss Frank's nagging

One thing I have noticed is that myself and most people are terrible judges of slope angle, something about the perspective of white snow, foreshortening, and other factors gives people an illusion they know the angle.

I think having something like this on a pole, which is almost always out when in tour mode will help promote good habits - ie thinking about and hopefully improving ability to estimate slope angle.

Quote Originally Posted by grayson View Post
    Out of curiosity, what's TAY?
    This other online forum full of backcountry, year-round skiers that PNWBrit is banned from: http://www.turns-all-year.com

hey, if it gives the ladies a visual representation of how excited we are while they're looking down from on top of it, I'm all for it!

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    "will only fit 14mm, 16mm, and 18mm upper shaft diameters"

Hee hee.
    This has made me realize I need to go home and measure the girth of my pole(s). Then do some division over a pi(e).

In conclusion:

Backed. Ive actually been looking for something JUST like this, with the phone apps being unreliable and annoying, or carrying round extra equipment can be a problem. This is a really simple solution. Good idea!
    Last edited by Full Stoke George; 12-06-2014 at 04:57 AM.