Salomon Quest Max 130

Thoughts on this boot? I've never had a boot with a hike mode, how different will it be downhill skiing compared to my RX 130? I guess what I'm worried about is the disconnect in the heel, I don't want to loose downhill performance. I've really been eyeing a Cochise, but local shop is out of my size. any other boots to try on? using it with guardians mounted on automatics. thanks.
    -Curtis

You will be disappointed, but all touring/walk mode boots are a bit of a compromise. The Cochise is probably the least compromise of the group, assuming it fits. The current Lange/Salomon/Atomic offerings are probably the most compromising - don't walk well, ski ok. K2 is just heavy, and apparently does not mean the 'din' certification (gregL give me the number please?) walk and ski mode are between the cochise and current lange. The scarpa isn't a bad option.

I currently think that the Cochise is the only one that can be used as a true one boot do -most- (you don't want to race in it, and you don't want to climb a volcano in it, but most everything in between is a go).