Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    How far from center is the recommended mount on the 188 kye 110? I'm yet to find an actual review of the ski despite it being everywhere. The usual copy and paste but nothing of substance. I read in one such "review" that the ski needs to be driven, which I find hard to believe. I'd imagined they would be a good ski for the hard charger with a neutral stance and a penchant for skiing facing forwards whilst taking air

KYE 120

New KYE 120 189s arrived today 2017 (reduced weight version). Gave em a good handfuck, felt kinda soft. Going to mount with guardians. Planning to be used as a pow day/side country ski to compliment my 190cm Q-labs. Any recs on mount beside 88cm from tail? Will report back once the snow flies in BC.

^^
    My OG 120s look like the line is 87mm from the tail (best as I can tell w/ bindings in the way). That said, they can be a bit of a nose diver in low angle heavier/deeper snow. They absolutely crush colder/less deep snow and anything steep. If I didn't have Bent Chetlers to bounce around on those deep flat days then I'd prefer -1 to give a little more float and versatility.

How that translates to the reduced weight version, I've no clue. Mine are soft-ish at the extreme tip but stiffen up significantly once you hit the contact point. Such a perfect flex to absorb...so quiet.

Anyway YMMV...

I need try those 110s at some point!

Anymore feedback on the Kye 120?

OG 120s -0.5 cm no nose dive. Respond well to increased nose pressure. Great ski. Not super playful given camber underneath... more of a railer than slarver.

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by skinipenem; 09-18-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    OG 120s -0.5 cm no nose dive. Respond well to increased nose pressure. Great ski. Not super playful given camber underneath... more of a railer than slarver.

What would you compare the feel to?

I haven't skied anything that is truly comparable.

That being said:

Renegade is much more slarvy and loose with tip dive. Devastator is much more slarvy and loose while punching crud better. Kye rails more but still pivots well enough in tight spots. Feels kind of like a steep creekboat ... get er done attitude. Sorry not real helpful... i think i wrote a more in depth review last winter somewhere on here. I'll try and find it.

I have the 189 cm (longer size) kye 120s mounted at -0.5cm with pivot 18s with the shims for zero delta. (Or ramp i can't remember the difference right now.)

Only complaint is swing weight. I would like to upgrade to the newer versions if the weight loss is in tips and tails. Anyome aware of the changes in the newer versions?

I would like to upgrade to the newer versions if the weight loss is in tips and tails. Anyome aware of the changes in the newer versions?

Sent you a PM...

Bump for any new thoughts on mount point for the 120. Recommended line on the 182 looks pretty far forward. Tail feels super soft... Anyone ski these 1 or 2 back? I'm on the 2017 (black)

edit: after fondling and standing on these, not sure I'm gonna drill these. feel more newschooler than I imagined. Unless someone can attest to being able to aggressively drive the shovel with float and/or having any substance in the tail... might need to pass. (lesson: always fondle before drilling).

I haven't skied the 182s. Fwiw the longer length 192 skis great with almost unsinkable tips mounted at 0.5 cm back. 182 seems short for that ski but that's just me and everyone else here except you.

I haven't skied the 182s. Fwiw the longer length 192 skis great with almost unsinkable tips mounted at 0.5 cm back. 182 seems short for that ski but that's just me and everyone else here except you.

Give me 190 or give me death.

We all know you like it long. I actually haven't skied anything this short in the past decade. But... for a lighter, powder touring option with a 118 waist, it's compelling. I'm leaning towards -1

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
    We all know you like it long. I actually haven't skied anything this short in the past decade. But... for a lighter, powder touring option with a 118 waist, it's compelling. I'm leaning towards -1
    I think it makes sense for pow touring, I actually recently was questioning why I had a 190 for a touring ski... if I'm going to put in the effort I'd like to get a few turns in on a descent instead of having to straight run half of it to get the ski to wake up.

I'd probably mount at -.5 or -1 and accept the trade off of less top end for more ease of slithering through the trees and milking the slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I think it makes sense for pow touring, I actually recently was questioning why I had a 190 for a touring ski... if I'm going to put in the effort I'd like to get a few turns in on a descent instead of having to straight run half of it to get the ski to wake up.

I'd probably mount at -.5 or -1 and accept the trade off of less top end for more ease of slithering through the trees and milking the slope.
    Because a 190 is a lot more fun when it wakes up, of course. This ski will be slithering through some japan trees, so I'm mostly concerned about the 182 getting enough speed and float while snorkeling in the low angle

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
    Because a 190 is a lot more fun when it wakes up, of course. This ski will be slithering through some japan trees, so I'm mostly concerned about the 182 getting enough speed and float while snorkeling in the low angle
    for that purpose I'd be looking at the 182 Lotus 138 Pure personally.

Agreed. Although I'm not convinced I'd love that ski much elsewhere, and 2x the price. tradeoffs.

Update. Been on the 182 for about 10 days. Mounted -1 with speed turn bindings, tlt6-p boots.
    Me: 165lb, 5'10", racing background. Recent skis I've liked: lotus 120, billygoat, wailer 99. recently less-liked: praxis bc.
    Where? Hokkaido. Low-angle trees, soft snow of different varieties -- overhead blower, sun affected mank, and some windslab...
    First impressions:
    The Kye 120 are much more comfortable charging in the fall-line than I could have expected. Though they're happiest with a more neutral stance, you can still aggressively drive the shovels and get snappy rebound from their slight camber between turns. They're very quick edge-to-edge, making them quite playful and nimble in tight (and very tight) trees. I've also found them easy to slash and slarve after quick straighline planing -- their long, relatively soft tail offers surprisingly fun control when driving from the backseat. The skis also really like to jump -- I've found myself bouncing from every small feature I can see. On the windslab, groomer runout, or traverse, the edge hold was sufficient with their robust sidewall.

the Kye120 in japow
    Name:  26156158_1986939931320137_5707855796574879744_n.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  74.0 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26185168_383713298756610_4169111242260086784_n.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	222038

the Kye120 in ja-schwack
    Name:  26152669_142611476426267_1242693450738958336_n.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  105.3 KB

Cons:
    While I've been mostly happy with the Kye 120 for maintaining both speed and float in tight spaces, the 182 definitely requires good, centered landings, else I quickly find the front of the ski. I haven't been able to test the full range of turn shapes, but these seemed happiest with a shorter radius; at higher speeds, I was more aware of potential tip dive and had to be dialed with a centered stance vs. driving the shovel. Both of these challenges are potentially resolved with the 190. Combined with an affinity for the fallline, this sometimes made for an awkard 'tweener feeling, unsure if I should throttle up or continue with the tight noodling. For me, they were more fun the more I turned (albeit tight to the fallline) than at longer radius.... so I did more of the former. Lastly, though perhaps not a surprise, the lengthier tail was a slight nuisance for steeper kick turns on the skin track.