Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

International travel with skis or hire? What do you prefer?

Next year will see the beginning of my international ski trips. Have been over seas before, but not specifically JUST for skiing. Thats about to change as im sick of waiting for winter every year, like a kid waits for Christmas.
    Want to see what you guys who travel a bit, like to do.

So ill break it down.

1. Do you travel with your skis and boots or do you just take your boots and hire stuff? I know places and distances vary but for arguments sake we will say the trip is over a week or 7 days on snow, if that puts hire cost into perspective. Then say, an international flight with connecting flight thrown in, thats pretty standard for most trips.

2. How do you pick which skis to take if you do take your own? Say you have never been to one part of the world and have no idea what conditions really are like, how do you choose? Dont JONG me, you can only do so much research online but when you get there it might be completely different and you cant possibly take your whole quiver. Right? It would suck balls to spend all that money on an awesome trip only to leave the EXACT right ski for the conditions at home.

3. What sort of pack do you take? Be specific if you have found one you like, there is a lot of garbage out there. Do you just take a huge ski bag and pack EVERYTHING in, or do you make your skis and luggage separate in two or three bags?

I was originally just planning to hire stuff, but doing some more research the cost for decent skis for a few days makes it seem pointless to hire. But then taking your own you are already dialed in on (a very big positive) you have the additional luggage cost (sometimes) and the fact you have to cart them round everywhere.

You ask some good questions. I've travelled to yurp twice with skis so I'm no expert but have some experience.

Personally I would never rent skis unless I had too. I like mine too much and I'm dialed on them.

Will you be travelling by train or renting a car? If you're getting a car, which I'd reccommend for most trips, it's not super important how you pack. You got to lug your shit around the airport but once it's in the car your good to go.

If you're travelling by train, pack light! It's a pain in the ass to travel by train with skis in yurp but it works. A ski bag and a big backpack seemed to work pretty well for me.

Which skis you take depends on what you like to ski and when you're going. I like to tour and skimo so I'm bringing something light with dynafits. If I'm going later in the season I might bring something skinnier. In general I would bring something versatile, like not a reverse camber pow ski unless you're going to Japan in January. You might want to say when and where you're going and you might get better feedback.

Don't rent skis in South America.

International travel with skis or hire? What do you prefer?

I take 88s, boots and my balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Stoke George View Post
    Do you travel with your skis and boots or do you just take your boots and hire stuff? I know places and distances vary but for arguments sake we will say the trip is over a week or 7 days on snow, if that puts hire cost into perspective. Then say, an international flight with connecting flight thrown in, thats pretty standard for most trips.
    I take boots, skis and poles. And basic touring stuff.

2. How do you pick which skis to take if you do take your own? Say you have never been to one part of the world and have no idea what conditions really are like, how do you choose? Dont JONG me, you can only do so much research online but when you get there it might be completely different and you cant possibly take your whole quiver. Right? It would suck balls to spend all that money on an awesome trip only to leave the EXACT right ski for the conditions at home.
    I'm heading for the off piste so I take my usual big fat honkers.

3. What sort of pack do you take? Be specific if you have found one you like, there is a lot of garbage out there. Do you just take a huge ski bag and pack EVERYTHING in, or do you make your skis and luggage separate in two or three bags?
    I go super light, just a pack and ski bag, wearing as much stuff as the airport to train station schlepp allows, put some stuff in the ski bag (which is not extra for most Euro airlines) and take a medium sized pack that I can fit shell, bibs, wool pants, 3 pairs of extras, skins, xceiver, goggles, le sunglasses and some funkpants. No suitcases for me. Then moving from one place to another is easy and I can ski with everything on my back. My bulkiest item is my bibs and heavy wool pants.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    heavy wool pants.
    Fashionable and functional. Yes yes.

Funkpants?
    27° 18°

I travel overseas with skis all the time. the airline weights, bag limits and baggage costs are the killer. Research that carefully.

It is possible to travel with just a rollerbag and hand baggage. One set of skis, stocks, ski clothes and gear and a couple of changes of clothes fit, and as long as the skis are not super heavy you can usually just sneak in under the airline weight limit. Then carry boots as cabin baggage.

If I am going for a long time, have a big heavy set of skis or or want to take two sets I put 2x skis in the roller and everything else in another bag.

Consider carrying your boots as cabin baggage. If your bags get delayed or lost you can rent gear, skis etc, but you absolutely don't want to have to rent boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lepowski View Post
    Which skis you take depends on what you like to ski and when you're going. I like to tour and skimo so I'm bringing something light with dynafits. If I'm going later in the season I might bring something skinnier. In general I would bring something versatile, like not a reverse camber pow ski unless you're going to Japan in January. You might want to say when and where you're going and you might get better feedback.
    It was more a general question, but next year will start with Japan during peak season. Then over the next 4-5 years we are going to Whistler BC for Christmas, European Alps (Chamonix, area around Zermatt and mountains around Turin), probably back to Japan and an AK trip with my brother when he gets his ass into gear and saves some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I go super light, just a pack and ski bag, wearing as much stuff as the airport to train station schlepp allows, put some stuff in the ski bag (which is not extra for most Euro airlines) and take a medium sized pack that I can fit shell, bibs, wool pants, 3 pairs of extras, skins, xceiver, goggles, le sunglasses and some funkpants. No suitcases for me. Then moving from one place to another is easy and I can ski with everything on my back. My bulkiest item is my bibs and heavy wool pants.
    Im picturing this

Quote Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
    I travel overseas with skis all the time. the airline weights, bag limits and baggage costs are the killer. Research that carefully.
    Consider carrying your boots as cabin baggage. If your bags get delayed or lost you can rent gear, skis etc, but you absolutely don't want to have to rent boots.
    Dont think my boots will fit in my current carry on, but thats a good idea. Could ruin the whole trip having to hire boots. Do you guys have any favourite boot/ski bags you really like? Or do you just get what was available at the time? Patagonia makes a mean red one

I use a large duffel with straps that convert into backpack straps for schlepping it when you can't use a luggage cart.
    I have this one:

If I am worried about losing my luggage, I'll carry my boots in a backpack on the plane.

I prefer a basic ski bag now as opposed to a wheeled version. It has to be large enough to fit a pair of 138s and something mid-teens (inserts on both pairs and one set of bindings) or mid-teens and a low 90 depending on destination. If you have to go lighter, go 120 (like Buster) or 100 and rent if you need to.

Note, you can take stuff out of your carry on at the check in and stuff it back in. At some airports they weight the ski bags then you take them to a separate drop off. Again you can leave stuff out at the check in and place it back in at the drop off.

At some airports they weight the ski bags then you take them to a separate drop off. Again you can leave stuff out at the check in and place it back in at the drop off.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I forgot that trick.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Roller ski bag, backpack and boots.

Generally all the big airlines (at least in yurp and Canada) are fine with that setup as it is only one checked bag.

Everything into the ski bag, usually about 50lb, a favorite trick if my ski bag is overweight is to prop up the tail of my bag with my foot when t is getting weighed so take 5-10-15 lbs off the read weight.

Never had an airline complain about me taking my boots and a backpack as carryon.

And also when dropping your bag, smile, be polite, make jokes and chances are you will be able to be shifted into a bulkhead seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Mr. Super Rad ski's on rental gear?

Read the rules of the ticket you bought on the airline you bought. Don't listen to a bunch of fuckers who have experience mostly irrelevant to your situation as, at least historically, Oz/European airlines have been different than what were relatively generous US policies. I certainly had my carry on bag weighed by Qantas with a strict weight limit.

I use a hard shell ski box with wheels. AT carbon fiber skis. Rolling Duffel compartmentalized. My ski pack in the overhead.

I prefer to bring my skis, boots, poles, beacon, et al. I did borrow skis on one trip, but we were only skiing two days out of ten. They sucked, but it was two days of skiing groomers, so it really didn't matter.

A lot is going to depend on where you go and what the airline policy is going to allow. You can rent good skis in yurp these days pretty easily.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I've got a dakine double roller bag which is nice if you're bringing multiple pair of skis and easier for tooling around the airport and what not but definitely a bitch to deal with if you're train travelling.

If I was going to japow or whistler I'd want fat pow skis. For europe I'd want something more versatile that wouldn't suck in variable conditions. Obviously lots of skis out there that do both well.

Typically you can check both a ski bag and a boot bag as one item- you have to mention at check-in that it is sports equipment. This lets you go over the weight limit as you can put two pairs of skis, outerwear, ski pack and avy gear, and some other clothes in the big bag up the weight limit and then put boots helmet and what ever else in a boot bag. Many airlines, in my experience, count this as one piece of sports equipment. Then I bring the normal carry ons of a small roller suitcase and my everyday non-ski backpack. If it is a really long trip and I'm not skiing the whole time I'll pay the $100 and check another large duffle or backpacking type bag.

Anyone find a way to pack their boots and skis together? Probably weigh too much anyway. Think my best bet will be a double ski bag but with only one pair. Then the rest of my gear can go in the extra space, will try and get a bag for my boots and possibly helmet for carry on. Might be too big for carry on though, someone mentioned US baggage allowance and they are right. You guys have it lucky, think the rest of the world has to pack really carefully and watch what we take.
    I can pay extra and have two large checked bags and one carry on, but fuck carting all that shit around, i like travelling light.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    I use a hard shell ski box with wheels. AT carbon fiber skis. Rolling Duffel compartmentalized. My ski pack in the overhead.
    How do you find the hard cases? I always thought they would smash your gear around as they dont absorb impact like soft bags will.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lepowski View Post
    If I was going to japow or whistler I'd want fat pow skis. For europe I'd want something more versatile that wouldn't suck in variable conditions. Obviously lots of skis out there that do both well.
    Yeah looks like i might only be able to take one pair of skis for each trip. Better pick the right ones! lol

I love this bag... I think it was only about $125, too. Has wheels and easily holds one pair of skis, wrapped in ski clothes and it makes the 50 lb limit.

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

^^^ I have the same bag. This is the third wheeled bag I have had and is definitely the best one. I pack two pairs of skis (100 and 115 under foot) in it with poles, skins, avi gear, and pack. The skis are mounted with quiver killers so I share one pair of marker touring bindings between the two skis. This keeps the weight to just under 50 lbs with the boot bag.

I pack my helmet, gloves, ski pants and other ski gear in my boot bag which counts as one bag when checked with the ski bag. I carry my boots on the plane with me along with a small wheeled suitcase with my clothes and electronic gear. This has worked great for 15+ day international trips.

My understanding is that to get your skis and boot bag on as one piece of luggage the total weight of both usually has to be no more than 50#. My standard luggage is a ski bag with one or two pairs of skis (two only if I have to meet one of my kids somewhere and bring their skis) with some clothes. The rest of my clothes and my boots are in a carry-on bag--I use a regular suitcase, and I like to have enough clothes in my carryon or on my person to ski if the ski bag is delayed. I also have a small backpack that will qualify as a second under-the seat carryon (although I'll be damned if I'm going to put it under the seat). The catch is that except for my ski clothes and socks and underwear the only clothes I take are what I'm wearing. I'm sure I'm lots of fun to sit next to on the way home.

Different airlines have different baggage policies--traditionally international flights usually allow skis (and a boot bag) for the cost of regular luggage (that is , free) but last time I looked which was two years ago Lufthansa was charging something like $100. I believe that by international treaty the baggage rules of the international leg (or is it the longest leg?--usually the same anyway) apply.

As far as skis--doesn't everyone have a pair of early rise, cambered 95-110 cm all mountain skis? Unless the forecast is strong for major dumpage that's what I would take for resort skiing. And unless we're talking about FIS slalom skis or 120+ reverse reverse (do they still make those/) can't we all have a good time in any conditions on any ski? Best way to ruin a ski trip is to wish you were somewhere else on some other ski. Most important thing about a major ski trip is to accept the fact that only occasionally will everything --the snow, the gear, the travel, the companionship--be perfect and to make the best of it when it's not.

Some of my fondest memories are of schlepping my gear through Geneva airport on a Saturday, through shoulder to shoulder crowds with everyone carrying a ski bag, through the full length of the terminal and up the stairs to the Cham shuttle. (Google "brachial palsy". I need to get a roller bag.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    As far as skis--doesn't everyone have a pair of early rise, cambered 95-110 cm all mountain skis? Unless the forecast is strong for major dumpage that's what I would take for resort skiing. And unless we're talking about FIS slalom skis or 120+ reverse reverse (do they still make those/) can't we all have a good time in any conditions on any ski? Best way to ruin a ski trip is to wish you were somewhere else on some other ski. Most important thing about a major ski trip is to accept the fact that only occasionally will everything --the snow, the gear, the travel, the companionship--be perfect and to make the best of it when it's not.
    This is so spot on and true!

You guys who 'carry' your boots on the plane with another bag, are you literally carrying them over your shoulder or wearing them? Man that would be funny to see. Technically i dont see why you couldn't wear ski boots on the plane, think of the weight/space saving HAHAHAHA!!

That Volkl bag does look good, ill check it out.

I haven't done this a lot but: one pair of skis in the bag, various ski clothes wrapped around as padding, plus other random small stuff like a tool kit. Helmet at the end of the bag. Backpack carry on with more clothes, electronics, etc. Boots fastened together with velcro power strap carried loose or strapped to the backpack. Travel wear includes softshell pants and a jacket, and some gloves in the backpack - even if the ski bag got lost, I would have ski-suitable clothing. With lightweight base layers and pants, I can generally fit some extras in so I have more or less clean clothes for town.

If I put size 29 boots in a carry on suitcase or pack, I don't really have much room for other stuff, so they go on the outside. It's usually possible to stuff them in an overhead bin somewhere and I have rarely been hassled for the boots by the airlines (helps if your carry on is obviously legit and not pushing the size or weight limits, I think). For the occasional Yurrup trip with 3 trains and a bus and dragging all the shit around downtown of a large city, having the backpack w/boots strapped on, vs trying to handle a rolly suitcase and the ski bag, was a blessing. YMMV. I also like not having 49.9 lbs in the ski bag.

Here's a pic of my ski box at the end of the bed in a hostel. Beside rolling it collapses and you can lock stuff in it. Keep honest people honest.