Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Stoke George View Post
    This is so spot on and true!

You guys who 'carry' your boots on the plane with another bag, are you literally carrying them over your shoulder or wearing them? Man that would be funny to see. Technically i dont see why you couldn't wear ski boots on the plane, think of the weight/space saving HAHAHAHA!!

That Volkl bag does look good, ill check it out.
    As someone who has to fly whenevert I ski:

What you can and can't do varies wildly by airline (and even by airport when in France). Read all of the fine print. Ski bags will get weighed probably so they know the all up weight for the aircraft but I've never seen weight limits on skis enforced so just chuck 2-3 pairs in one bag. If there is ever an issue, take the stuff out and put it back in before you take it to oversize baggage. Wearing boots (even AT boots) or helmets def doesn't work because Brits have tried it. Helmets get classed as protective armour and boots make you a hazard for escaping the aircraft. Boots and helmets in hand luggage is usually OK.

As for rental, the costs can get steep and choice, condition/tune can be all over the place but it really depends on how picky you are with your skis though really. One benefit is being able to switch up skis when the conditions change: pow dump overnight forecast? Just swap skis after your day's skiing and be ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by b dubya View Post
    Tricks are for hookers

I don't think United charges extra for big baggage like ski bags on international flights. I flew to Japan with a roller ski bag jammed with gear with no trouble. On the return flight, I did self check in at a kiosk and it asked if I had any baggage over 70lbs or 200cm long. I initially said "yes," but once it asked me to insert $200 into the machine, I just went back and said "no."

FYI for Japan: BLACK CAT EVERYTHING! You'll see Yamato Transport logos (black cat on yellow background iirc) all over Japan. These are offices for a domestic shipping company that is THE SHIT. If you are spending a couple days not skiing upon arrival in Japan, you can drop your ski bag off at the Yamato counter at the airport and they will ship to wherever you're going. Any accommodation in Japan will, I'm sure, be well versed in Black Cat. It'll take a couple days, but that's all. It's quick. You can do the opposite too. I had a few tourist days in Tokyo on the tail end of my trip, so I just stuffed my boots and anything else I didn't need into my ski bag and shipped it to the international terminal at Narita. They hold onto the bag for up to like 5 days. You just pick it up at the terminal and continue to check-in. For a giant, heavy ski bag it was like $25.

Bring your boots on carry-on. Shouldn't have a problem just having them over your shoulder/pack. Throw em in the overhead, no problem.

I try to never check boots, and carry them over my shoulder or in my carry on. I have known too many people not get their checked bags to trust any airline. Ski I can rent, but rental boots blow.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Typically you can check both a ski bag and a boot bag as one item- you have to mention at check-in that it is sports equipment. This lets you go over the weight limit as you can put two pairs of skis, outerwear, ski pack and avy gear, and some other clothes in the big bag up the weight limit and then put boots helmet and what ever else in a boot bag. Many airlines, in my experience, count this as one piece of sports equipment. Then I bring the normal carry ons of a small roller suitcase and my everyday non-ski backpack. If it is a really long trip and I'm not skiing the whole time I'll pay the $100 and check another large duffle or backpacking type bag.
    A lot of airlines are being stricter on that 50lb weight limit for the checked skis and boot bag. Yes, the airlines treat them as one bag, but airlines are cracking down on that 50lb max for both skis and boot bag. Maybe sky check it, give the dude a $20. I had that situation occur on a domestic flight from AK once.

You can easily spend $50/day to rent performance skis in Europe. Cheaper to bring your own. A decent size back pack to haul most of your critical gear is a must. I'm one of those that doesn't check ski boots. 2 years ago, the only thing that made it to GVA in Switz. was our ski bag. We carried on the boots, had worn our ski jackets and some of the ski sweaters, etc. Ski pants, ski socks, avy gear, and goggles were in our roll aboard carry ons. So we had gear for our first days on the slopes, and our apre' ski clothes came when we got back from our first day of Swiss pow skiing...

To sum it up, bring the boots on board; strap them and carry them on your shoulder, stick them under your seat. Nice size backpack for all the essentials.

A double ski bag and stuff your clothes in as padding. Never, ever had an issue doing this.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Cheers guys, think ive got the solution i was looking for. Definitely NOT hiring, didn't want to anyway. Super good idea to carry on your boots, that is probably the one thing that would ruin the trip completely.

Think im gonna go with the Douchebag foldable 2 ski roller (as its an adjustable size bag). Pack one pair of skis in the bag and cram in all my normal luggage and gear.
    Then for carry on ill take my boots, either in a bag or over my shoulder and use the second bag to fill with other crap. This way ive only got two bags to worry about. Checking skis and boot bag here would be classed as a second bag, no matter what. Even if it wasn't, boots + skis + luggage would easily blow the weight limit. I would have to pay extra for the 3rd bag. Not such a problem $$$ wise but a bastard to cart round 3 bags.

No the real hard part, trying to find that 'one' ski to suit a couple of my trips...

I have chased winter for 18months and will start by saying that you should bring skis, boots, and choose what you like. As for what to ski, that is a question I won't address. You can ski anything anywhere but your happiness and success in skiing well will vary. Conditions will play a big part in this. Before hitting the nitty gritty, consider a groomer ski with girth. If you tour, maybe just have groomers and touring skis with dynaduke mount plates and haunt one set of binders.

Bags: my favorite is the sportube for skis. Most airlines waive "insurance" and bag fees for skis when they are in a hard case, it has wheels and good handles, locks to keep skis safe (use a TSA and bike lock) plus you can carefully pack skis clothes and other stuff inside using cube packing bags to utilize the space.

I usually carry on my boots, must haves, and a set of clothes. Sometimes surviva gear and first aid, but I'm an Eagle Scout. What would you expect. My boots, book, snacks, camera, water bottle, and toiletries fit in a 22L BCA stash or BD 32L covert and slide tightly under the seat in front of me.

I also carry a pack/duffle from asolo but have used Patagonia, North Face, and Stoic with various mileage. Get one that fits in overhead parameters that are the smallest of your possible flights including regional airlines. I put my helmet, googles, extra clothes, and flat shoes in here (read "Raising the Bar" and the founder of Clif Bar's international travel gear. Tom's work well). I usually wear on my down jacket, backpacking boots, and whatever brimmed hat I don't want to crush.

If you do research, many airlines still claim garment bags do not count towards travel totals. You can carry on a garment bag and gate check it of you want to do that with ski coats, pants, etc. anything you never want to lose should be in your carry on bags. I would rather get to a destination with my boots and lose my skis and clothes to have them refunded by the airline and rent than to have two pairs of ski pants and 4 pairs of ski socks.

Travel: everyone here, don't be a dumbass when people help you with your skis. Tip them.

Packing a sportube: it sucks. A lot. Their are tricks to good packing but if you use the travel cubes that fit between skis and your box, it will be easier. Telescoping poles are super nice for this too. I was able to pack a pair of 181 park skis and 185 fat al mountains into a sportube single in a square shape with bindings overlapped. The box appeared to have 210cm skis inside but the airlines don't care. Protect your bindings with something soft and rubber band the brakes. I recommend It from an experience where Alaskan airlines destroyed my heel piece reassembling the tube after TSA had their peak. Rubber ski straps are the best buy a bunch of them. The long ones are perfect for binding your skis. If you bring two pairs, the double box is worth it. I bought one after upgrading to Fritchis and he extra room is nice for ski pants snow shovels, and other wide goods. A little larger to haul around but worth it. PS wrap your handle with duct tape and file down the seam of plastic under the handle. It will cut you and leave scars.

Don't bring a computer. To back up camera pictures, phones and tablets have card readers that work well. I once spent 3 months in South America loading photos and video to a 120gb iPod. Plus the computer will be a theft target and slow you down. Keep it simple.

Cell: get t-mobile and an unlocked phone for the trip. It is cheap and international on the simple talk plans. You can get in country SIM cards if you are there long enough to put in the unlocked phone.

Plan less, live more. Planning in life here is a necessity for success. Planning there is often disabling. Be flexible and make decisions. I bet you can fly by the seat of your pants without regret.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Groomer skis? Why would you travel around the world to shred cord?

Rent the red ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

We went through a lot of the same questions a few years ago going to Cham to ski both GM/ couloirs and backcountry/ hut to hut stuff. Ended up with Volkl Mantras with Dynafits, a little heavy in the backcountry (certainly wider than anyone else) but great when it got choppy or weird.

This last year, with less lift access in the picture, I brought Volkl Nanuqs (98 underfoot) and Dan brought Cham 97s. Worked out well, but both times it was spring conditions more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lepowski View Post
    Groomer skis? Why would you travel around the world to shred cord?
    I suppose I use the term differently. Something below 110 waist and not so long you can't see the top of it. No fattypus a-lottas or pow centric skis.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Regardless of what skis you bring you're going to have a good time. Last year going to Europe we planned to ski mostly in the alpine, touring from hut to hut but it was nuking the whole time. I brought my volkl nunataqs with dynafits. We ended up doing a lot more lift serve and slackcountry and short tours in the trees. I would have been better off with my heavier lift serve slackcountry setup but regardless we had an awesome trip and the setup I brought worked just fine even if it wasn't optimum.

Cheers Jcolingham! Awesome info there. I like the bit about the garment bag, my minimum carry on is either two bags (rather small mind you) or one bag and a garment bag. The only catch is both items can only weigh a max of 7kg. Makes it tricky, but i like the challenge of packing/travelling really minimalist anyway. Cause ski gear is bulky but normally light weight, the garment bag might be a really good idea if i run low on space. I could probably fit a fair bit of stuff in there.

Still not sold on the hard cases though. I went through this research when i got new bags, I went material over hard plastic. I have a friend whom is a baggage handler and she said she sees more broken 'hard' bags than anything else, as they dont absorb impact. This means they also shock the things inside where the softer bags absorb impact and will work to sort of protect the things inside. Made sense to me anyway.

Yeah the skis will be tricky, im wracking my brain atm but ill start another thread for them. Keep this one luggage orientated...

Quote Originally Posted by Full Stoke George View Post

Yeah the skis will be tricky, im wracking my brain atm but ill start another thread for them. Keep this one luggage orientated...
    Just check the weather the night before your flt., and then pick the skis. What's the worst that can happen? You pick your <110mm wide groomer ski, and it dumps meters of snow. Yes, that would really suck to be stuck skiing a 98 mm wide ski in waist deep pow. I'd much rather be skiing on my >110mm wide pow specific skis on frozen groomers....Don't over think the skis too much. Spend your time focused on how to pack with the right luggage strategy.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Which brings up another good point. If there's anyway you can stay flexible with your destination in Europe I'd do it. It would suck to be stuck skiing frozen bumps in Cham when it's dumping in Zermatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lepowski View Post
    Which brings up another good point. If there's anyway you can stay flexible with your destination in Europe I'd do it. It would suck to be stuck skiing frozen bumps in Cham when it's dumping in Zermatt.
    Good idea, we probably can be flexible as we will be over there for about a month. Have a mate in Turin, can probably stay with him and just work out where to go and when from there.

Japan next season will be about 12 days, then following season Whistler BC for 3 weeks. Hard to check the weather and get an accurate reading for a time span that long. Plus i dont have any +100mm skis, ill need to get some before i go.

If you haven't considered it... a single pair + swiss cheese.

I usually travel with my ehps with inserts for dukes + dynafits, then bring both sets of bindings + skins. Can cover about 99% of my skiing conditions with that setup.

Turins perfect because its so central. You could easily hit up most zones in north or southern alps from there.

Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post
    I also carry a pack/duffle from asolo but have used Patagonia, North Face, and Stoic with various mileage. Get one that fits in overhead parameters that are the smallest of your possible flights including regional airlines.
    The only thing you said I might disagree with. A lot of the time one leg of the trip will be on a small plane with small overheads. A standard carryon will be gate checked and then picked up on the tarmac or in the jetway. I've always felt comfortable with this arrangement--I suppose it is theoretically possible that the luggage might not make it--if the luggage bay is too full perhaps, but the odds seem very low. (I wouldn't gate check my passport or phone .) Anyone had trouble with that arrangement?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    You pick your <110mm wide groomer ski, and it dumps meters of snow. Yes, that would really suck to be stuck skiing a 98 mm wide ski in waist deep pow.
    Really? (Or did I forget to change the batteries in my sarcasm meter?)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The only thing you said I might disagree with. A lot of the time one leg of the trip will be on a small plane with small overheads. A standard carryon will be gate checked and then picked up on the tarmac or in the jetway. I've always felt comfortable with this arrangement--I suppose it is theoretically possible that the luggage might not make it--if the luggage bay is too full perhaps, but the odds seem very low. (I wouldn't gate check my passport or phone .) Anyone had trouble with that arrangement?
    How small are we talking? Totally agree with you on the small connecting flight, for me to get to an international airport ive got to fly on a small-ish plane first. Makes packing and planning easier though as i just pack for the small flight, then im pretty safe every other flight will be fine. Ill be heaps under the weight limit in most cases.