Spot Suspension Qs

I have a 2012 5 Spot. I'm running an old coil Lyrik with DH dampers. Any reason - besides weight - to change? I'm seeing a lot of Pike talk, but RS still sells the Lyrik. Is the Pike still the budget longer travel trailish fork, or has its status been elevated?

Regardless of the fork, I'm ready to replace the RP23; definitely want to sick with air. I was set on the Monarch Plus back when I was following, but is there a better option now? If I go Monarch, can I request a low compression tune version? I know it's possible to change the tune, but I'd rather not have to deal with that.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

There's nothing 'budget' about the new pikes. That's definitely their most gucci trail fork now with all their latest bells and whistles. I haven't ridden a coil lyric with your damper setup but I have ridden the air version and liked it a lot. They are different damper wise from the new pikes, but it's not night and day or anything. So yeah, mostly weight and a little more fine tuning available if you were to go that route. The air spring needs some volume reduction but that's easy if you get the solo air. If you get the dual position, get in touch with me. I can show you how to make a spacer for those so they don't blow through the travel as easily.

I really liked the monarch + on 5spot. I'm not sure I'd stress over the tune. Those things full open are still pretty loose. I've got the newest one on a norco range and use the middle damping setting more and more. That new cane creek inline looks interesting. It's a similar weight and actually cheaper than the monarch+. I haven't really liked the regular double barrel air shocks I've ridden but that inline looks like it may have solved the weird midstroke the full size ones have.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Interesting. So, what's the point of the Lyrik now? My current Lyrik has been one if the best fork I've owned once I got it dialed. Think I'll stick with it for now.

I've never been very happy whenever I've messed with what DW did with that bike's suspension. I read a review of the Monarch+ a while ago - that I actually think you wrote - where you seemed pretty sold on the light compression tune for similar reasons. Have you changed your mind?

Forgot you had a Spot. Did you run an angle reducing headset? Any thoughts? Suggestions on brand?
    Last edited by bagtagley; 11-28-2014 at 01:10 PM.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Interesting. So, what's the point of the Lyrik now? My current Lyrik has been one if the best fork I've owned once I got it dialed. Think I'll stick with it for now.

I've never been very happy whenever I've messed with what DW did with that bike's suspension. I read a review of the Monarch+ a while ago - that I actually think you wrote - where you seemed pretty sold on the light compression tune for similar reasons. Have you changed your mind?

Forgot you had a Spot. Did you run an angle reducing headset? Any thoughts? Suggestions on brand?
    You didn't hear it from me but the Lyric will be changed next season. They really haven't sold many since the Pike was released, was more of a "place holder" in the line.

The big difference in the Pike compared to the Lyric is - well - everything. The damper, as woo said, is completely revised. Maybe not night and day on the trail to some but it really is a big step forward. Perhaps the biggest thing is the air spring - which provides for very good stiction (or lack there of) properties without having to rebuild your shit all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    . Perhaps the biggest thing is the air spring - which provides for very good stiction (or lack there of) properties without having to rebuild your shit all the time...
    ooh.....on that note, that seal/bushing thing on the pikes too. Extra smoove.

Bags: I did have a works components -2deg headset with a straight steerer. That was rad. Then I used some offset shock reducer bushings because the pike with a tapered steerer doesn't work with a 44mm headtube and an offset headset. That still good but less good.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp