Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 14-15

'scrubbing bubbles'....classic!!
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Telemike, Jtran10.....please hit me up if you need discounted tickets

not sure how much the BAF tickets save you but you guys are always welcome to them.
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Mammoth 14-15

right on

thank you

most likely in the spring for me

I usually manage to scare up a comp or two so a BAF helps keep costs down for my wife and son

I've used BAFs from folks here quite a few times - thanks Maggots!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

BAF-is it the same cluster funk this year as in those previous?

Scrubbing Bubbles is good.

Mon-Weds this week is your best bet crowds wise. After Xmas morning it is a SHIT SHOW at best. Every bar and restaurant will be booked,packed and staffed by just about the worst service industry employees you will ever encounter.

Mammoth is a hell of a hill. I hope I can back when it's filled in. The bar at the mountain inn has a sweet view. Which one of you guys was wearing the TGR ball cap at that bar, Thursday at happy hour? The scrubbing bubbles is a SFBisum. I can't take credit for that one.

Anyone know what ol MMSA has planned for the recently-acquired 21 acres behind the Mammoth Mountain Inn?

Dec 19, 2014 Press Release
    WASHINGTON – Today, President Obama signed into law Rep. Paul Cook’s Mammoth Mountain Land Exchange. The original bill, HR 1241, passed the House of Representatives by voice vote in December, 2013. The measure was ultimately put into the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), which was signed into law today.

The Land Exchange allows the Mammoth Mountain Ski Area to obtain the 21 acres surrounding the Mammoth Mountain Inn. This land is currently leased from the National Forest Service. In exchange, the National Forest Service would receive from the Mammoth Mountain Ski Area over 1,500 acres of valuable wilderness along with a monetary offset.

Rep. Cook stated, “This is about jobs. The land exchange will allow Mammoth Mountain to start construction, creating jobs to rebuild the Mammoth Mountain Inn. The new construction on the Inn will help facilitate not only new construction jobs during renovation, but will allow the ski area to expand, creating more permanent jobs.”

http://cook.house.gov/media-center/p...ange-provision

No idea, but 1,500 aces and cash sounds like a fair trade to me (at least at this juncture).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

New Main lodge for a start. The lodge now is a maze of dead end halls that have been piece milled together over the years.

Look at the date vvvv

April 27, 2012

By Times Staff Report

news@mammothtimes.com

After 14 years of pushing and pulling, Mammoth Mountain Ski Area finally landed its Big Congressional Land Battle.

Congress on Tuesday approved a resolution granting MMSA permission to affect a land swap with the Forest Service in the Main Lodge area.

The measure, pushed through by Rep. Buck McKeon (R-Santa Clarita), means the ski area can refurbish the Main Lodge area.

At the centerpiece of the project is the construction of a high-altitude training facility for use by all athletes, whether snowsports athletes, or others, such as runners and cyclists.

The facility also is the centerpiece of the Mammoth Mountain Community Foundation, which just two weeks ago raised about $500,000 for educational and athletic programs.

McKeon, who because of redistricting will no longer represent Mammoth after the upcoming elections, convinced the House of Representatives by saying, “Mammoth has operated on a Special Use Permit from the U.S. Forest Service since 1953. The base area of the mountain is aging rapidly and is in need of renovation and redevelopment in order to provide a safer, more enjoyable experience for visitors to Mammoth Mountain.

“However, these renovations are difficult to achieve under the terms of the Special Use Permit.

“Mammoth Mountain has been a good steward of the environment, a solid partner in economic vitality for the region, and an honest party in negotiations with the Forest Service,” he said. “This land exchange will be mutually beneficial for all parties involved.”

The final vote on the legislation was 376 to 2.

I saw that in the paper when I was there last week. Hopefully they'll leave the existing main lobby and bar as is.

Holy crap it was WINDY Saturday. Anyone else get blown away?

Yesterday was pretty rad. Gravy chute was, well, gravy!

Couple clips:

Really freaking fun small to small-medium airs in gravy chute upper. Coverage rough down low but probably can link up some airplane-ish turns once you get in and a couple drops.
    First run: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1k6i7zrig1...0shot.MP4?dl=0 (start watching at about 1:10)
    Good windpack on Wall: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2lwj5rx1lu...acked.MP4?dl=0
    Coverage on gravy chute: https://www.dropbox.com/s/blv7poj29d...recon.MP4?dl=0

Also skied a few lines on what I guess is Dropout 1. Upper part was getting kinda bony about 1:30 yesterday, but mid and lower were pretty good, if not a tiny bit windfucked. GoPro died, but could definitely link up several 6-12 footers if you wanted. WAtch out for people in the landing, though!!

Oh, and I shool glen plake's hand on my way in to get hot dogs at shell! Nice guy

See y'all Christmas day and the 26th. I need some time in the gym!
    Last edited by Deep Days; 12-22-2014 at 04:36 PM.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    BAF-is it the same cluster funk this year as in those previous?

Scrubbing Bubbles is good.

Mon-Weds this week is your best bet crowds wise. After Xmas morning it is a SHIT SHOW at best. Every bar and restaurant will be booked,packed and staffed by just about the worst service industry employees you will ever encounter.
    Maybe it's just you?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenKnee View Post
    Holy crap it was WINDY Saturday. Anyone else get blown away?
    That's nothing but a light breeze. Also known as the Mammoth Mt grooming machine.

My understanding of the land grant is Mammoth is exchanging a much better piece of property for it out near Lee Vining. They plan a total rebuild of Main lodge and the Inn. A conference center, underground tunnels, the whole Beaver Creek thing. It worked so well at the Village.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

i think it's for a water park (ala squaw proposal). or maybe it's where they're gonna put those condos they wanted at the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    It worked so well at the Village.
    You would think they would have learned.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Anyone know a shop near Mammoth where my buddy can rent beacon/shovel/probe, and snowshoes? I'll be out there next week and we intend to hit some mellow bc lines but I'd like him to be able to dig my ass out should shit hit the fan! He's knowledgeable, I've skied many 14ers with him in the past, just doesn't have gear currently.

Either that, or if any of you want to lend the gear to me I will just pay you instead and replace anything myself if it breaks.

Mammoth Mountaineering
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Bitter cold out today and East winds have wreaked havoc on the what little snow there is. When will it ever dump again?

Anybody got a shop contact in town with access to a jig for some Marker Comp bindings and willing to drill a couple holes for some beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    Yesterday was pretty rad. Gravy chute was, well, gravy!

Couple clips:

Really freaking fun small to small-medium airs in gravy chute upper. Coverage rough down low but probably can link up some airplane-ish turns once you get in and a couple drops.
    First run: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1k6i7zrig1...0shot.MP4?dl=0 (start watching at about 1:10)
    Good windpack on Wall: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2lwj5rx1lu...acked.MP4?dl=0
    Coverage on gravy chute: https://www.dropbox.com/s/blv7poj29d...recon.MP4?dl=0

Also skied a few lines on what I guess is Dropout 1. Upper part was getting kinda bony about 1:30 yesterday, but mid and lower were pretty good, if not a tiny bit windfucked. GoPro died, but could definitely link up several 6-12 footers if you wanted. WAtch out for people in the landing, though!!

Oh, and I shool glen plake's hand on my way in to get hot dogs at shell! Nice guy

See y'all Christmas day and the 26th. I need some time in the gym!
    Must be full holiday schedule when side slipping a speed check is a HUDGE facial.

We need snow. Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    Maybe it's just you?

That it could be, that it could be. But that hole of a town and its options VS crowds VS expectations ( post shredding ) is in a one way race for last place.

An example of the wind event that rolled thru here the other night. This is sign at the top of CH. 3. Snapped the metal post it was mounted on and is currently stuck in the netting. The top of Scotty's/Monument got hammered by the NE wind. Decent skiing there 3 days ago, now dirt and rock. Please snow.

Gust to 167. Nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Fuck....here we go again.

Ted Schlaepfer CCM —- Mammoth Mountain WeatherGuy

Forecast Summary:

Fair and dry weather is now expected for the entire forecast period. Temperatures will warm up over the weekend and into the middle part of next week for spring conditions on the lower part of the mountain. Temperatures will decrease toward the end of next week with some passing clouds under continued dry conditions. Dry weather will then probably continue through the middle of the month or longer. Overall, there are no signs a major storm cycle* through the 3rd week of January (~20th) or longer with the first half of January possibly completely dry.

Glad I bought those Elan Amphibio 88xti's for last season. Looks like they will be getting another workout in January.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Mammoth 14-15

^^^ early season corn harvest?

I'm trying to figure out how to drive Sacramento to mammoth next week. Every google maps route I can find says the roads are closed in winter. Are there any reasonable routes to drive Sacramento or San Fran to mammoth in the winter? What roads are open?