MPC #130: URBAN/STREET 11/25-12/08

URBAN/STREET

RULES:
    1. Photos must be taken within the time period of the contest.
    2. You may submit 3 photos during the competition.
    3. The contest moderator will choose 5 photos to be voted on.
    4. The winner will get a happy feeling in his/her pants. (That is a rule by the way, not an option.)
    5. In the event of a tie, the contest moderator will have the deciding vote.
    6. Winner will be the contest starter/moderator for the next comp.
    7. The winner has 3 days to start a new contest or 2nd place becomes the new winner.

You don't have to live in the city to be a part of this MPC
    It definitely helps though. My definition of URBAN/STREET could be be something as simple as someone waiting at a bus top to that old car in the street.

Get out there and have with this one.
    Last edited by bad dancer; 11-25-2014 at 12:27 PM.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Whelp, I'm out.
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Welp, I guess I suck at picking themes. If there is not any interest, I will just cancel this one all together and the runner up from the last MPC can choose another. I will let in run it's course regardless.

I live over 2 hours from the nearest true urban area. That said, I was out at lunchtime today trying to get some "urban" shots in the town of 7000 that I work in.

Those of you that live in an actual city have no excuses (I'm looking at you System ).

[Railroad Graffiti by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Open For Christmas Shoppers by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Walking Under the Bridge by Tim_NEK, on Flickr
    Last edited by From_the_NEK; 12-05-2014 at 03:49 PM.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

I'll get some stuff posted up this weekend. Generally, it's easier for me to shoot urban stuff, I've just been in a shitstorm at work the last week or two and haven't been able to shoot

The only reason I go into Denver (I live 45 minutes NW of town) is to watch a Rockies game, and they don't play for another four months. I don't think Boulder counts as "urban", although I'd probably offend some of the hipsters on Pearl Street if they heard me say that.

It's a tough theme given the demographics here on TGR.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    The only reason I go into Denver (I live 45 minutes NW of town) is to watch a Rockies game, and they don't play for another four months. I don't think Boulder counts as "urban", although I'd probably offend some of the hipsters on Pearl Street if they heard me say that.

It's a tough theme given the demographics here on TGR.
    Boulder is way more urban than anything near me.

FWIW, I like these "difficult" MPCs since I have to think pretty hard about how I'm going to squeeze a decent shot out of what I have around me. I think it helps improve my eye for shots.
    Last edited by From_the_NEK; 12-05-2014 at 03:50 PM.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.

Now we are talking.
    Boulder is plenty urban !!

I think you guys are taking this a bit too literally. Unless you live on a farm out in the countryside, you can probably find something to shoot. As long as there are concrete pavements, roads, and parking lots, it's "urban" (at least for this MPC IMO). Doesn't have to be in the midst of skyscrapers. I've been tied up, but am hoping to get out tomorrow or the day after to shoot something.
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    I think you guys are taking this a bit too literally. Unless you live on a farm out in the countryside, you can probably find something to shoot. As long as there are concrete pavements, roads, and parking lots, it's "urban" (at least for this MPC IMO). Doesn't have to be in the midst of skyscrapers. I've been tied up, but am hoping to get out tomorrow or the day after to shoot something.
    ^^^^^Exactly^^^^^

It is actually, pretty open. Go out and shot some people in the shopping mall for all I care. I did the google image search before I posted this MPC. "Urban street photography" I came away with some very good ideas for future pics.

I know I can't play but i hit the streets tonight and just caught the moon before the clouds came.

Could be a stretch, but here' s some urban climbing shots.

Indoor Climbing by Phil Herbert, on Flickr

Indoor Climbing by Phil Herbert, on Flickr

I dig the theme as well. And I do think folks are taking it a bit too literally. Think about it as "not natural landscapes." I'm guessing it doesn't need to be gritty or showcase inner city projects. Close study of architecture or walls with graffiti or even christmas decorations on some cutesy little "main street" american ski town.

I'd love to participate. I'm hoping it might get extended. I'm a 37 year old working man back in school full time (5 classes) during finals week, with my 3-year-old having a birthday party, and helping my mom with grandma's funeral. I just haven't had time to go for a walk with the camera. Nearly everything ends for me on Tuesday though, and some photography therapy is what I'll need.

But if a bunch of submissions come in and a voting thread goes up, I'm sure the next topic will give me a good focus.

5 Entries so far. If I don't get some more enties by the end of the day, I will forfeit this over to the runner up from last contest or I will just pick the best photo myself and hand the warm feeling over for a quick turn around to get another MPC up soon. Feedback is always encouraged.

Took some shots last night but tied up on a commercial shoot, so haven't had a chance to process yet. But am planning to have them up in a few hours.

Hmm, I made an effort to actually take some pictures on my last trip. I'll look if I have anything to contribute

Forget street photography in the traditional sense (almost nobody walks), this is as urban as it gets around here (for at least 100km in all directions)...

1. Square
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2283-2.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	988.5 KB 
ID:	161182

2. Traffic

Name:	_MG_2293-2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	720.7 KB 
ID:	161184

3. Lights

Name:	_MG_2317-2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	548.3 KB 
ID:	161183

When does this close? Midnight?

Midnight PST.
    I may extend it for another 2 days but doubful

Ok, well I'm not gonna get to any of the others in time to do anything. So here are two from my phone that I'll toss in.

Hmm well I'm dumb, looking for a way to get this to work and make it less huge. Second one sucks blown up, so I deleted it.
    Last edited by abraham; 12-08-2014 at 10:02 PM.

Grabbed a few on the way home tonight.

Urban-1986 by jrmorris-mt, on Flickr

2 Urban World Cup ice climbing comp(starts in a few days)
    Ice Fest-1966 by jrmorris-mt, on Flickr

Urban-1983 by jrmorris-mt, on Flickr

That should be enough to run with.

everyone.
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by mtcham View Post

Urban-1986 by jrmorris-mt, on Flickr
    The spiders are coming! Run for your lives!
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    Forget street photography in the traditional sense (almost nobody walks), this is as urban as it gets around here (for at least 100km in all directions)...

2. Traffic

Name:	_MG_2293-2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	720.7 KB 
ID:	161184
    How many looks did you get from passing drivers as you were standing in the middle of the street to get this shot?

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    How many looks did you get from passing drivers as you were standing in the middle of the street to get this shot?
    I was actually standing on a traffic/crosswalk island in the middle, so not directly on the road. Which was a good thing because it is one of two the main highways on the South Island (State Highway 1), so there's a lot of truck/semi traffic ("a lot" being a relative term here).