Smile Illegitimate alpine binding /scarpa gea combos

Well I thought it would be easy to buy some resort only powder boards until I learned my Scarpa Gea boot wasn't compatable with all bindings, go figure. The ski I want has a marker griffon, and I read in another thread that as long as there isn't too much rocker, many AT boots are compatable with the griffon. Any first or second hand knowledge with alpine bindings and the Gea? Thanks!

Not gonna work. At least not safely. You might be able to cram them in there, but not a good idea. Griffons don't have much (if any really) toe height adjustment and the Gea is heavily rockered.

Get some Marker Lords or Salomon Wardens if you want to use a rockered AT boot in alpine bindings.

Cool, thanks for the input. Are the lords hard to click into? I've heard that about most marker AT bindings.

just stopping by to let you know that i REALLY dig your handle. if i get banned for like the 7th time, i'm gonna hafta consider going with some sort of phat bike related dealio

Hahaha, thanks, thewon, for getting it.

my pleasure

Still looking for more opinions on whether the Afd clearance on the griffons would adjust for the geas

Quote Originally Posted by Idrthrbfatbkng View Post
    Well I thought it would be easy to buy some resort only powder boards until I learned my Scarpa Gea boot wasn't compatable with all bindings, go figure. The ski I want has a marker griffon, and I read in another thread that as long as there isn't too much rocker, many AT boots are compatable with the griffon. Any first or second hand knowledge with alpine bindings and the Gea? Thanks!
    What do you want to believe ?

people cram AT boots anywhere they will fit but its well known that AT boots don't really mix with alpine bindings

The lord was made to handle at boot in an alpine binding
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks for the input

Griffons do not adjust to Geas. Period. Marker says so, no legit shop will do it. It is POSSIBLE to cram them in there but there's no way you will get acceptable clearance for the AFD in the toe.

Yes, Lords are hard to step into. Dukes, Barons, Lords, Griffons, Jesters, all use the exact same heel piece (plus/minus some plastic and metal) and are somewhat hard to step into.

As whatsupdoc said, your only two options for alpine bindings that are fully compatible with a rockered AT sole like the Gea are the Lord and Warden. Or, you can get an alpine-inspired AT binding such as any Duke or Baron, or this years Guardian MNC or Tracker MNC. Guardians/Trackers prior to this season will not work.

There are several other alpine bindings that you can technically "fit" an AT boot into but I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you are fully aware and accepting of the potential risks of doing so.

if you are in a GEA you can't be a huge person so another option is the Fritschi FR+ or FR pro, they take DIN or AT boots, will tour OK and are the most likely AT binding to find on a used ski IME some bro will tell you they suck but whatever eh? I got as set on my rock touring skis which i am using right now and they are OK, note that its a frame binding so make sure you buy the right size for your BSL
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Idrthrbfatbkng View Post
    Are the lords hard to click into?
    No. Clicking into Lords is easy peasy.

I'm pretty sure newer Griffons (like this year and last year) have adjustable toe height. Older models do not have any adjustment... new models use a hex key to slide the AFD on a track to adjust height. I'm positive this is the case for newer Jesters and mostly sure it's the case on newer Griffons.

But since they market the Lord specifically to do what you're asking, I'm going to assume it's not enough adjustment to accommodate your boot.

The Gea has a fair amount of rocker in the sole if I remember correctly. It's POSSIBLE (but still not recommended) that the "walk to ride" at soles of some other boots like Salomon Quest or Tecnica Cochise MIGHT fit in there, but pretty much no chance your boot will safely do so.

One thing working in the favour of the Griffon is the sliding AFD... it doesn't rely on a frictionless interface to let the boot slide out... but again, I MIGHT try it with a less rockered sole, but not with your boot.

Hopefully that didn't confuse the issue too much.

And along the same lines as XXX-er's suggestion, you could try at Marker Tour F10 or F12 as well as the Fritschi.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Get the Marker Lord. Uses the same binding pattern as the Griffon, so you won't have to re-drill your skis. It is no more or less difficult to step into than the Griffon.

This binding was specifically created for people like you. Stop trying to kludge a solution and get the right tool for the job.

Nothing but the Lord or touring bindings will fit the Gea, period. I have Maestrale RS's and have already been through this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Nothing but the Lord or touring bindings will fit the Gea, period. I have Maestrale RS's and have already been through this.
    All the new MNC Salomon stuff also will. I also have Maestrale RS and have set up the new Guardians to my boots.

Yeah, I mounted a pair of Wardens yesterday and they are compatible with my Maestrale RS (mens version of Gea) but, are pretty much maxed out to give the .007" folded paper clearance between boot and AFD. FWIW the Wardens are $100 cheaper then Lords retail.

The Maestrale is a definite no go for clearance for Griffons, or Jesters with adjustable AFD, shit even my fairly low rocker BD factors (touring sole) won't go without contact with the AFD.

^^^ agree that you basically have to max out the Warden or MNC Guardians, but in all fairness, you pretty much max out the Marker stuff too to get a Maestrale/Gea in there properly. I'm about half a turn on the screw down from max on my RS, but they're pretty worn.

Thanks to everyone for the tips, I really appreciate it, and the first hand knowledge of fitting AT boots into even the AT specific bindings with a tight fit is the perspective I was looking for, so as not to kludge. I just wish all these bindings didn't weigh in a good pound plus over the griffon... Have a great season!