BD Whippet Recall

So i get an email from Black Diamond saying their recalling last years Whippets, apparently there is a notch in the blade that looks like it would weaken the tip.
    I reply to find out what they would like me to do assuming that i would have to ship it back to them for a replacement. They reply back telling me to physically break the top shaft in half and take a picture of it so they can see it's been damaged, and then they will send me a new upper shaft. Ok so i did......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NCM_0001.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	642.3 KB 
ID:	160726

Pretty brave!

Ha ha ha!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Black Diamond Equipment Recalls Whippet Ski Poles Due to Risk of Injury

Recall Details
    Units: About 3,000.
    Description: This recall includes Black Diamond Whippet and Whippet Carbon ski poles manufactured May 2013 through January 2014.
    The Whippet is gray with two telescoping shafts and the Carbon Whippet is black with three telescoping shafts.
    The upper shaft of both models is made of aluminum and has a black and orange rubber handgrip with a built-in, stainless steel, serrated pick and a black nylon wrist strap with a an orange Black Diamond logo. "Black Diamond" and the Black Diamond logo are on the upper shaft of both models.
    The Whippet has an aluminum lower shaft with an orange and silver locking mechanism. "Whippet" and the logo are on the lower shaft. The middle and lower shafts of the Carbon Whippet are made of carbon fiber and have orange and silver locking mechanisms. "Carbon Whippet" and the logo are on the lower shaft.
    Both models have a 4-inch plastic powder basket on the lower shaft near the tip and graduation marks on the shafts to show the various lengths of the pole in centimeters. The Whippet can be extended from 99 centimeters (39 inches) to 142 centimeters (56 inches) long. The Carbon Whippet can be extended from 67.9 centimeters (26.75 inches) to 142 centimeters (56 inches) long.
    Recalled poles have picks with polished surfaces, a notch in the top of the pick and a date code between 13121 and 14015 etched on the pole. The date code can be found by removing the locking mechanism on the middle shaft of the Carbon Whippet and the lower shaft of the Whippet.
    Incidents/Injuries: None reported.
    Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled ski poles and contact Black Diamond to receive a free replacement for the upper shaft.
    Sold at: Major outdoor retailers globally from January 2014 to November 2014 for between about $100 for the Whippet and about $140 for the Carbon Whippet. The poles are sold individually.
    Importer: Black Diamond Inc., of Salt Lake City
    Manufactured in: Taiwan

Consumer Contact:
    Black Diamond Equipment at (800) 775-5552 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. MT Monday through Friday or online at www.blackdiamondequipment.com and select Customer Service at the top of the page then click on Product Recalls in the drop-down menu for more information.

Hugh Conway Guest
    The one fucking time it'd be nice for the new Black Diamond not to be like the old Black Diamond

they shoulda listened when i tole em to go with lexan.

Only the Whippets with stainless steel picks are defective, right? Once again cromo > SS

So, BD wanted to confirm that imchappy's Whippet was rendered unusable?

Quote Originally Posted by thewon View Post
    Rog brings the lulz.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

I still have an old LifeLink Claw pole which is safer to use without worry of impaling oneself but is not as intimidating for use as a personal weapon........

Quote Originally Posted by iamchappy View Post
    worry of impaling oneself
    OT but has anyone here ever actually done/heard of this?

Quote Originally Posted by thewon View Post
    Okay, you definitely got me to laugh out loud there, well done!
    (Although you might not approve that I read your post while waiting to get snow tires mounted...)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Okay, you definitely got me to laugh out loud there, well done!
    (Although you might not approve that I read your post while waiting to get snow tires mounted...)
    ha!

approved!!!

Received my new Whippet pole handle today, great job with customer service from Black Diamond.