Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    It was a big year, my third season in town. Got the call nobody ever wants to get," Archie didn't show up for work last night and he's not here now. We need to go find him."
    He was the strongest guy I knew and even with his hand above the snow, he just couldn't dig himself out. From the size of the ice block around is head, we figured he as alive at least an hour.

I still ski, sail and ride solo often, but that definitely tempered my risk tolerance.

I do go alone sometimes, not always on purpose. I have a busy life w/ 2 young kids and I have to go when I get the time to go, and sometimes my 3 or so partners that I'll go with aren't around etc. Every once in a while I'll go loner just cause I need to. I will only stick to routes that I know really well and always make sure my wife knows where I am and will check in when I'm down safe. I'll bring my helmet and ABS pack (not fail-safe's by any measure, I know).

Going solo does heighten the experience, probably because of the increased risk factor. Each turn counts, even if you're not doing anything scary.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

Another factor for me is my work schedule, i can only go play when i have time for it and more often than not it means i go alone or not at all. I gave up trying to coordinate with flaky friends long ago.
    I suffer from the same deal; most rides/ski missions are time-limited so I gotta make a plan based on being efficient and moving at a pace I can anticipate. It's shitty but I get pretty irked waiting now, especially on the bike, although I should say I'm not faster than most people. But definitely for biking this summer, did a lot of solo riding as it was easiest/least stressful when dealing with time constraints.

Surfing I've done almost exclusively solo. Always ran into people I knew in the water back in NH, but curiously enough almost never attempted to connect with someone else for a session. But seldomly would it be gnarly enough to want to make sure I had a buddy out there with me.

I ski solo the least of anything. Avalanches and stuff. But feel that when I do head out solo, my accountability goes way way up. Feel like it's a lot easier to let your guard down when you're with friends.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I first got into hiking solo. Definitely a different sort of feeling from being even with one relatively quiet person, and I definitely am slower, more deliberate, more careful about my decisions, but also somewhat liberated from the anxiety of being with a partner and adjusting to that person's pace and needs, etc.

With touring, only in lower angle terrain, preferably terrain I know.

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy View Post
    Each turn counts, even if you're not doing anything scary.
    ^ qft, it's different and not as adrenaline-inducing due to the more cautious decision making process, but sometimes it's nice to be out in the mountains by yourself

I've worked in the backcountry my entire life. Standard work mantra is that you can work alone, or in isolation, but never both at the same time. I've always tried to have a means to contact someone (usually VHF radio on a repeater network) when out recreating as well, but have not always kept to the rule.

Before my little one arrived, I wouldn't think twice about a solo trip whether it be ski, hike, hunt, or ride. Now I am a little more conservative (and I am conservative to begin with - I see no glory in dying for a purely recreational pursuit). I do like the solo adventure all else being equal - to balance the availability of help if shit hits the fan, there are no group dynamics to deal with. But then I'm more than a little bit of a misfit anyways - I find most group interactions stressful and so seek out isolation for my downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333 View Post
    As far as injuries, I consider it mandatory to have a PLB or other emergency device regardless of solo or with others.

+1

Yes, occasionally. I prefer to go with a partner. My involuntary fear-o-meter definitely thinks there is safety in numbers. I am way more conservative when solo.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    I can second all before. I dial it back a notch and enjoy be it kayaking, skiing or mt bike.

I do like going with a group but i have become more selective about who i can tolerate any more. I have to distance myself from the bullshit, stupidity and negative vibes most folks excrete.

Another factor for me is my work schedule, i can only go play when i have time for it and more often than not it means i go alone or not at all. I gave up trying to coordinate with flaky friends long ago.
    ^^^This, exactly. I'll add open ocean kiteboarding to the list too. I won't go out at all if there's nobody at all on the beach, but I'm alone on the water all the time, especially this time of year. The rule is don't go out farther than you're willing to swim. I guess my swimming ability is enhanced by other kiters being on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    This made me think of another aspect, timing. I like to follow the weather and snow rather than the calendar, work week, other people's schedules and agendas.
    This!

Agendas will screw you up faster than anything.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by raueda1 View Post
    ^^^This, exactly. I'll add open ocean kiteboarding to the list too. I won't go out at all if there's nobody at all on the beach, but I'm alone on the water all the time, especially this time of year.
    There is this cove I will not surf alone, because it is a good mile from the road, and cell reception is only rarely available a 4 minute drive away, with better service 20 minutes drive away. But if there is a family chilling on the beach there, I surf. I don't really think I will suffer an attack, get my heel sliced by a fin, or hit my head on a rock. But if any of that happens, I do like the idea of at least having a witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I don't really think I will suffer an attack, get my heel sliced by a fin, or hit my head on a rock. But if any of that happens, I do like the idea of at least having a witness.
    Wouldn't a gopro be just as effective then?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Deep View Post
    This!

Agendas will screw you up faster than anything.
    And you won't necessarily end up on the nicest snow. I prefer to ski the nicest snow.

Those of you that are saying you ski differently when you're with others, I am curious for more insight into that. Maybe I'm just getting old and less bold or maybe it's because I live in the land of deep instabilities and large slab avalanches, but I am always asking myself now "would I ski that line solo?"

Because if the answer is no, then I am wondering why I would consider skiing it with other people 500-1000 ft or more down the mountain from me and other people destabilizing the pack I'm on and generally making it worse to ski. I like to keep a light touch on the snow when I ski, not punch down through layers - big skis to keep me on top, surfy turns, just a little added measure of safety. I guess there is some value in having them be the guinea pig, but I don't really think I can count on them to effectively rescue me, although that would be a pleasant surprise. Also seems finding me deep in the woods before I would suffocate or bleed out from a femur could be pretty unlikely. The one time that I actually needed help because I lost a ski in VERY deep snow on Vail Pass I didn't get the help I needed (and there was a big crew) and ended up having to go down 2000 vert of steep deep powder in tight woods and cliff ledges with one ski. One of the most brutal experiences I've ever had, but it taught me so much about human factors that I put it in the plus column. I don't trust anybody but myself with my life. I guess the bottom line for me is that I feel less safe with more people and I will never ever ski backcountry with more than three people total anymore, well maybe some meadow skipping or something is ok.

Just some random thoughts there, I like this thread.
    Last edited by SheRa; 11-24-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

I ski in the backcountry solo a lot. Always have always will. That's how I started backcountry skiing and could be how I end it.I have a pretty strict set of protocols for solo. Always have a bit of a built in safety net. My wife is cool with it. I always go where I say I'm going to so she can find my carcass. Generally I prefer solo to groups.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I ski and tour solo quite a lot, and frankly I fucking love it. I love skiing with friends too, but being alone in the mountains is pretty special.

I also like kayaking solo, though I haven't done that much of it as it's pretty hard logistically, and nothing at a high level. Does make grade 3 a lot more fun though.

I'd rather ski solo or with one or two others at the most. Every time you plan something and the group grows a shit show ensues.

Almost always

Its not a team sport.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I'd rather ski solo or with one or two others at the most. Every time you plan something and the group grows a shit show ensues.
    truth! solo means no ones late cept yerself.

solo also means no one else to touch yer tracks.

very important^^^^^^^to keep things neat and tidy.

I don't ski gnar terrain (lack of skill and access). Some of my skiing is what many of you think of as the approach, most likely. I do things solo a moderate amount, whether that be hiking/trail running/scrambling, backpacking, or skiing. Usually, I go into this keeping in my head "OK, how do I get out of this if I break my ankle?" I'm not so worried about being avalanched on a 15 degree slope with lots of trees, but that is not the only thing that can go wrong.

Make your up & in your safe down & out. Go known places. If you go someplace new keep it mellow. Tell people your plan. Don't change your plan. Go early. Bring gear to survive solo. Bring gear to assist people you might run into who might need help.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

there's not a lot i won't ski solo that i'll ski with others. maybe big faces i'll back off of, but some of my biggest airs have been solo and same for some of my most steepish lines as well. the big thing about skiing solo, though, is
    You Can Dance if You Wannoo

So if you go to a popular backcountry spot and ski mostly low danger stuff that happens to be around other people does that put them in a responsibility to help you if something actually did happen? Is that ok? Is it ok to head out by yourself and try to hook up with groups out there? I kind of hate doing it but also hate sitting around at home, and am prepared to ski my own chill little runs. Maybe I should bribe people with beer or baked goods to let me tag along hehe

Quote Originally Posted by geezerb View Post
    So if you go to a popular backcountry spot and ski mostly low danger stuff that happens to be around other people does that put them in a responsibility to help you if something actually did happen? Is that ok? Is it ok to head out by yourself and try to hook up with groups out there? I kind of hate doing it but also hate sitting around at home, and am prepared to ski my own chill little runs. Maybe I should bribe people with beer or baked goods to let me tag along hehe
    is it their responsibility? not necessarily. but most people will help. if you go out with a partner and something bad happens around other people they will still help and extra people will likely be very helpful.
    but if you go to a low danger popular backcountry spot you're not really solo touring.

Started to solo occasionally last season. Calling my terrain choices and riding "low angle meadow skipping" would be quite the compliment. This stuff is ridiculously tame, but I'm OK with that. Sometimes its nice to have a zone to yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    there's not a lot i won't ski solo that i'll ski with others. maybe big faces i'll back off of, but some of my biggest airs have been solo and same for some of my most steepish lines as well. the big thing about skiing solo, though, is
    You Can Dance if You Wannoo
    FUN!

and clever

its farkin puking here at mo ...

solo touring starts ... now ...

brapp ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...