Reno/Tahoe Turkey Day riding?

Headed down to Reno on tues, weather looks balmy on Wednesday. Any suggestions for good brown pow ride options near reno/Truckee/n shore? Much appreciated, cheers-

We're riding in Tahoe (Truckee/Northstar area) tomorrow, and Reno on Wednesday/Thursday. Post or PM more details on what you want to ride (length, xc or dh, general familiarity with the area) and I'll think of something.

Reno has Peavine and the Cow Canyon/Verdi Downhill. It's pretty much all up, then all down, mostly sandy (but compacted), with a few sparse rock sections if you know where to find them. The trails are almost completely unsigned, so GPS is your friend.

Pretty much anything in tahoe under about 8500 is money dirt right now. Cow canyon gets a little sloppy if they got a decent amount of rain this past weekend, although I don't think that happened. That's a fun one if you don't want to ride at the lake.

Plenty of options, just depends on what you're looking for.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Thanks for the ideas, looking for 2ish hour rides at the north end of the lake or Truckee area since that is close to west Reno. I've got a map so I think I can find some rides just need some suggestions. Tacky and flowy is ideal, but anything will do. It's winter where I live so trying to squeak a last ride or 2 in. Thanks again, cheers-

Tahoe Rim Trail from 267 to Tahoe City - easy to find and in good shape. From between Squaw and Alpine - western states up to rim and into Tahoe city ~ 2 hours.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Those are both good rides.

Also check out the Western States - Painted Rock - OTB - Tevis - Western States loop. One of my favorite rides on the 89 corridor.

Emigrant Trail is flowy non-technical singletrack, about 22 miles and 2 hours if you push it. Nothing to write home about, but very easy access from I-80.

Here's the OTB strava link. You can do this in 2.5 hours if you're reasonably fit

http://www.strava.com/activities/210831343

Have you ridden western states recently? I only ever climb up it but some jackass (I assume TNF) knocked down all the banks/berms on it. There were tracks from a machine all over it, like one of those stand behind skid steers. For people who like descending that, it's now a flat turning piece of crap. I'm not usually one for 'berms' to fix switchbacks but they actually served a purpose on that trail since they weren't that sharp. It's going to be a skidded up mess when it dries out next spring.

Hey zlatham: The rim trail off Brockway summit out to mt baldy is a good one....as far as 'fast and flowy' it's one of the best in the area. Just an out and back, 7 miles one way but a good pitch. It's a little more sustained up-sustained down. Really cool view at the top that you can see as far as Shasta on a clear day.

Parking in Tahoe city, climbing up to Watson via one of many ways, then descending the rim all the way back to Tahoe city has some good sections in it. Views from Watson are pretty good too. A little climbing on the way back but some good downsies.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 11-26-2014 at 12:09 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I hadn't been out since sunday.......but holy crap is that moisture sticking around. I was just up around mt watson and it's so good right now. I wouldn't even mess with reno

Didn't know western states got sanitized. What in the fuck ? They let OTB get legal/official, but some berms get plowed because...they are too fun? Sigh.

Anything in Tahoe in the shade/north facing was frozen/crunchy on Tuesday. Maybe it thawed today, but that was a little slow rolling. Peavine was really fun, if a little loose, today.

Me neither. I was digging the berms on western states just a few weeks ago. Doesn't even seem like they have been there that long and can't imagine why they'd get taken out. I hadn't ridden it in a summer or two so was happy w their addition.

Everything on the upper half got mowed. I had assumed they'd be hitting the lower stuff too.....maybe they didn't. But yeah it was machine work. You could see the tracks along the road that goes over to the wall. Somebody meant it........USFS or not. Based on how far over towards the wall I saw the tracks it was more likely a quad with a blade now that I think about it.

All the dirt is still there, just pushed to the outside. You know.....if you get motivated

I did notice a new connector from ML to western states. Or right about where one becomes the other - I've never been sure while riding where that distinction happens. At any rate, I'm jamming down and come to a new intersection more to the truckee direction of the valley. Took me a while to get my bearings, so maybe this is part of a larger reconfiguration? Still sucks to dump the berms. Seems like that have been getting added to more and more trails around there, not taken away. Maybe get a kickstarter going for a bobcat?!

Thanks a bunch for the rec's everyone, rode on Peavine yesterday in a T and shorts, crazy. Was fun to get out but likely gonna try and get up to N lake tomorrow for some good dirt. Cheers-

Rode Brockway to Watson via the TRT and back and had a great time, had to jump on the fiberboard due to a time constraint. Trail was in great shape and I didn't see anyone. thanks again for the rec's, can't wait to come back, if you guys are ever in Idaho hit me up for some rides, cheers!

Nice! Hopefully that was some of what you were after. That descent from watson to the low point in carnelian bay is pretty fun. Hopefully you didn't skip that part.

Yeah, it was fun as hell! Ride TRT west from 267, crossed 3 dirt roads, past Watson lake (rad), then onto a road for a 100 yds, then back onto TRT. Had to then turn around at first flat bench and high tail it back to the truck, so I think I missed the downhill into Carnelian bay, bummer. Great trail though. Thanks again to all-