TR: Mt. Bachelor Pre-season

Swish... swish. It's been almost six months since I last heard the sound of skins sliding on snow, and damn does it sound good.

Six friends and I heard rumor of snow in the mountains, far from Eugene, and decided it was time to make the three hour drive to get the first turns of the season. Since the resort isn't open yet, it only made since that we would skin up Bachelor instead of some other mountain. The access is unparalleled and the skin up is quick, which means we could potentially be back in Eugene just after dinner time.

Four friends, not wanting to do a full six hours of driving in one day, decided to go down the night before and camp out. Myself and two others took off at 6 a.m. from Eugene and arrived at Bachelor right around 9:15. The air was crisp, everywhere I looked there was snow, and the stoke was high.

As I skin up the mountain, despite having seen these views many times before, I am blown away none the less. Broken Top's jagged rocks jut out from the snow on the crisp clear day, and the Three Sister's tower over us, just to the right of Bachelor. There is almost no wind, the snow is light and deep for pre-season, and so far my legs are feeling good, which is surprising considering it is the first skin of the season.

I look up. Almost half way there. One from the group has dropped out at a prime spot for a kicker. The rest of us continue up the skinner. Above tree line the snow isn't as good as down low. The wind has packed and blown it into a thinner layer, leaving a much less forgiving surface, but still edgeable, and the skins are still sticking, so we decide to continue to the summit.

On top of the mountain there is almost zero wind, a rarity in these parts. To say the least, we are stoked, and ready to ride, but first, lunch.

After much deliberation between group members ("Dude, that's Thielson." "It's not man, Thielson is pointier.") we decide that we can see across the state. Mt. Shasta to the south, Mt. Adams to the North. It is one of the clearest days I have had on the mountain.

After about thirty minutes on the summit, we peal skins and take off for what we have all be waiting for, and it is just about good enough that I almost have to change my pants at the bottom. This is the best pre-season snow I have ever ridden.

Once everybody arrives at the car it's high-fives all around, an aprés ski beverage, and then the three hours home.

Once back in Eugene and fully unpacked, I realize I'm missing something. My Wallet.

"Oh Shit!"

I think through the day, when did I open that pocket? For lunch. Where did I eat lunch? On the summit. Over the next two days I cancel cards and I stress. I had just gotten paid and the cash was in that wallet.

Then a bright light at the end of the tunnel, my Wednesday morning opens up. Looks like I'm going back the Bachelor.

Wednesday rolls around, and by 4 a.m. I'm in my car and on the road. By 7 I'm at the trailhead and an hour and 45 minutes later, I'm on the summit, and by some miracle my wallet was sitting right where I ate lunch. It hadn't snowed and it hadn't been windy enough to blow it away.

"Aaahoooooo," I howl into the wind and the deserted mountain. I am back in business, and now I've got two days under my belt instead of one. The season is on.

I can't post photos yet, but this trip report was also posted on my blog at outsidewithamos.weebly.com with photos. Check it out if you are interested.

Nice, Bend has been providing the early season blessings for sure